NEW Surefire G-2

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I picked up a new Surefire G-2, which is just a 6P, but with a Nylotron body. It's a cool light--weighs less then a 6P, and is easier to grip. What's interesting is that the construction is VERY similar to the TACM light, in that it has a synthetic body and an inner steel sleeve to house the batteries. Overall, a good light.

-dan

------------------

Bucky

Enlightened
Don't tell me you got it online? I have been looking all over for them on the net since I heard that they shipped sometime last week.
If you purchased on the net, please share your source
smile.gif

Also, how much did you pay? SureFire told me that the G2 would be about 10% less than the 6P.

Any more observations about the light? Is it worth it for people to get a G2 that already have a 6P? Is it really a lot lighter than the 6P?

Many thanks,

Bucky

Size15's

Flashaholic
Tell me where you got a G2!!

TELL ME!!!

I want! I want!

Thanks!

Alastair

P.S.
I'm not really bothered about price, but it's useful to know...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calm down
smile.gif
...I got it from:
Leach Enterprises
phone: 909-861-4955 (Diamond Bar, California
orders: 888-357-6400

I paid 50 bucks for it, and comparison-wise, new 6P's are running about 55 bucks in my area.

I used it a bit in the rain, while doing a night shoot course, and it was definitely easier to manipulate when wet.

If you already have a 6P, it may be redundant to get a G-2, unless your a nut (like me)!

--dan

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if there will be a G-3?

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Size15's

Flashaholic
BK, Well, for one thing, I'm now a SureFire addict...

But also, I want to see if they can replace my trusted Pelican SteathLites as general illumination tools. The Nitrolon polymer is meant to be make the Lamp Modules more impact resistant, and I don't need M2's for the tasks my SteathLites do.

The G2 is water resistant, but not specifically waterproof like the M2 and M3. The M3T I'm testing is cos the Lexan lens has been pre-tested. Waterproof-ity is important for me cos I like water, and water at night is cool. Flashlights in underwater at night are even more cool!

Anyway, I may end up getting a couple G2's for around the house etc, and may give some away...

The 8NX may end up as a flashlight for the shed.

The higher output, higher spec flashlights are for when I need more light in a harsher environment.

Thanks for the info on the G2 - I'm seriously considering the Botach route (again) as there are 4 free batteries offered. Maybe I can get a good deal here in the UK...

Alastair

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The price for the G2 is a rip off. I can get a 6P for the same price or cheaper. The 6P is a much better flashlight. It is metal not cheap plastic. The G2 would be nice if it was significantly lower in price than a 6P.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I wouldn't be so fast to pass judgement.
From what I've heard, the polymer body means that the Lamp Modules are better protected 'cos it's a lighter weight then the Aluminium and also 'cos Nitrolon absorbs more of the impact energy rather than transmitting it staight through...

Sure you can get a 6P on the cheap, but IMHO, the 6P offers me little or less than the D2, M2, G2 and soon to be released E2.

Whether you need, a feature-rich tough light, small slim light, or lightweight light, SureFire have a 6V flashlight for you.

Alastair

Brock

Flashaholic
I don't know about that the 6P being better than the G2. I have both the 6P and G2 and I would put money on the G2 holding up better to abuse and protecting the lamp better. It isn't just cheap plastic, but some kind of Teflon polymer. It does use the standard P60 and P61 lamps so in that respect it is identical to the whole 2 lithium line from surefire. The thing I don't like is you turn the head of the light for constant on, and the tail is a momentary on/off. The batteries go in by removing the head of the light, so the tail cap never comes off.

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash.htm

Brock

Flashaholic
You are absolutely correct Dano, I got them both last week and wasn't thinking straight. I didn't mention it but I would choose the surefire 2L lights in this order. E2 (but it isn't made yet), D2 (don't need the comabat grip, harder to clip to pocket with grip), M2 waterproof
smile.gif
, G2 then 6P.

I agree they are flooding the market with the 2 L lights, that is 4 lights not counting the E2 or weapons lights.

Brock

Size15's

Flashaholic
Flooding the market...
OR
Giving you options -

The way I see it is that SureFire want to give people the superb 'trademark' beam and light output through a range of flashlights each model with it's own merits - The right light for the right job.

I'm still in love with the TurboHead's though... If SureFire would only produce a 6" reflector! I have to take out shares in Duracell to profit from my battery useage!

Rechargeable 'M6' with 6" TurboHead is one of my dream flashlights!

Alastair

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Size15s on 12-24-2000 at 03:52 PM</font>

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Brock, I think you were describing the operation of the 8NX, not the G2...As the G2 operates identically to the 6P..>Anyways, I think Surefire may be clogging the market: 6P, D2, G2, M2, E2...Jeez, that's a lot of different models, how about adding a G3, M3, E3, etc...WAIT! They're already doing that!!

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

G2 would be great if it was significantly cheaper than the 6P but it is NOT.

Why would you want a G2 when you have the 6P/D2/M2?

Surefire should have come out with the E2 instead of G2, because many crave a smaller flashlight.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The release of the SureFire E2 is waiting on the all important Lamp Modules.

I hope there isn't a repeat of the problems with the E1 Lamp Module. I'm happy to wait until they're ready. Rush-jobs cost more in the long term!

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire have lots of new products for the Next Millennium. I'm sure they are aware of how fragile the Lamp Modules sometimes are, and will improve the shock absorbing system for the smaller flashlights. The Millennium TurboHead has vastly improved shock absorbing properties over the Classic TurboHead. A 6V flashlight with this increased protection would be a huge advantage.

I just can't wait until SureFire put their new products online in the New Year!

I hope you all have been having a Merry Christmas!

Alastair

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with part of surefire's argument. The polymer in the G2 is cheaper to buy, and far cheaper for manufacturing, than aluminum. And I do think it should be a bump below the 6P in price. However, I think eventually it will be -- once the G-2 isn't so new, and the distribution channels are completely geared up, supply&demand will get more reasonable and the G-2 will fall in price.

I also think that the G2 does have some real advantages over the aluminum versions. One, it's lighter and so more carryable....... That might not be important for everyone but is to me. Two, if it is true that the polymer protects the lamp assembly better, that's a huge advantage. I still consider the fragility of the lamp to be a real and alarming weakness for SureFire.

Regarding Brock's buy order, I'd go this way. If I want bang-for-the-buck for a tactical (that implies use with a handgun) use, the 6Z is it. Yes, the M2 is a step up, but I think we're talking about serious diminishing returns here, for an extra, what, $40 is price? For pure carryability and useability for utility use, the E2 will be awesome, definitely the top choice. Other than the E2, for utility the G2 has the nod if you want minimum price and weight, 6P is probably best bang-for-the-buck, and the D2 has some interesting added features but suffers from dimishing returns like the M2.

Were I to be stuck with 3 choices, it'd probably be:

E2: carry everywhere utility light
6Z: dedicated tactical light, stays with firearm in quick-open safe.
E1: for when I want to totally minimize on space.

If I absolutely needed a waterproof light, I'd substitute M2 for 6Z.

flash_bang

Enlightened
I got my G2 a couple days ago, and it was $36, I don't know where you guys are getting this $50 figure from…

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Flash, I may have things wrong, but the last post from Joe Talmadge was on the 26th of December 2000. The G2 did have a substantial price drop after it had been around a while, i'm not sure exactly when...

You've dug up a dinosaur thread mate!