Coast DigitacLL7840 1AA, 1.25w $29 at Sears website

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried one of these coast lights from Sears?

I agree that it looks more like one of the other lights from the Shot Show report than the "David"

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great find, LightObsession; I'd love to see this light reviewed. Most of Coast's offerings use oddball cells that are difficult to find and cost a small fortune in dollars per runtime hour. It's gratifying to see that Coast is offering a 1AA light...and an affordably priced 1.25W model, at that.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_in_Maryland said:
Great find, LightObsession; I'd love to see this light reviewed. Most of Coast's offerings use oddball cells that are difficult to find and cost a small fortune in dollars per runtime hour. It's gratifying to see that Coast is offering a 1AA light...and an affordably priced 1.25W model, at that.

I can't take credit for finding it. It was mentioned in another thread about new lights at Sears.

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
I saw these on Sears website during the weekend and instantly ordered one. I have a Coast 1.25w 3AAA model and have loved it since the day I bought it and after every other flashlight I've bought... my Strion being the only other pocketable light I like as much. The only thing I wish about the 3AAA was that it was regulated. This one has to be since it's stepping up a single AA to drive the LED, right?

This light isn't even on Coast's web site. A Google seach for a coast LL7840 results in ONE match... Sears... go figure. I was skeptical because Sears has goofed on their LED flashlight descriptions before. Once they had Streamlight 3C lights described as incandescents and when they closed them out I ordered three and found out they were 10 LED models. No complaints here... paid 6.97 each for them... kept one, gave my wife one, gave my mom one.

Anyway, I will post my opinion right after I get one and compare it to my other Coast. It does look cool to get 1.25 watts out of a single AA. I'm thinking it will be slimmer than my 3AAA model.

chanamasala

Enlightened
My Sears order said it shipped but no tracking. Called Sears and they said it was still processing. I don't know what's up, but can't wait. If it has regulation it might compete with Fenix.

Found some more info on AA models on the ledlenser site. 42 lumens they say. Weird, it isn't on the English side of their website so here are the translated-from-the-German pages that have them:

David® 15 aluminum: http://tinyurl.com/bdyot

David® 15 high-grade steel: http://tinyurl.com/a7ow5

David® 19: http://tinyurl.com/atl4e

On those webpages there are PDF info sheets in German for the lights. Links go to the webpage not the PDFs.

Last edited:

dealer

Newly Enlightened
chanamasala said:
My Sears order said it shipped but no tracking. Called Sears and they said it was still processing. I don't know what's up, but can't wait. If it has regulation it might compete with Fenix.

Found some more info on AA models on the ledlenser site. 42 lumens they say. Weird, it isn't on the English side of their website so here are the translated-from-the-German pages that have them:

David® 15 aluminum: http://tinyurl.com/bdyot

David® 15 high-grade steel: http://tinyurl.com/a7ow5

David® 19: http://tinyurl.com/atl4e

On those webpages there are PDF info sheets in German for the lights. Links go to the webpage not the PDFs.

They state that the light will last for 12 hours on a battery. This is to long for it to be regulated. It probably is just boosted. If you use lithium battery
it will act like it is regulated.

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
My Sears order is totally messed up too! I ordered last Sunday, couldn't even look up a status until Tuesday, and since then UPS only says Billing Information Received. So much for prompt service from Sears, huh?

So it looks like the David name is for a series, maybe even more than one series, not just one model? Hmmmmm

Last edited:

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
Update:

It's been one week and my order STILL says "Billing Information Received" on UPS site. Does Sears normally suck at shipping out items like this?

chanamasala

Enlightened
TornadoKat said:
Update:

It's been one week and my order STILL says "Billing Information Received" on UPS site. Does Sears normally suck at shipping out items like this?

I called in to their customer service to find out what was up. Within a day or two my UPS tracking shows it shipped out. Comes tomorrow for my fortunate self. It ships from Georgia in my case.

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
Well I got my Coast LL7840 yesterday and I'm kinda disappointed. It's not nearly as bright as my Coast LL7736. Both are supposed to be 1.25 watt. The 7736 uses 3 AAA's, the 7840 1 AA. I measured the current draw off the AA and it's only .31 amp... not nearly enough to result in 1.25 watts... heck that only comes out to less than 1/2 watt... how much less depends on converter efficiency..

It's nice for it's size but... talk about misleading advertising. I will put up beamshots compared to Costco AA Luxeon, Gerber LX 3.0, etc soon, as well as close ups of the light and insides.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, this light isn't any competition for the Fenix. How do you like it other than being dissapointed with the brightness?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that TK, Coast was supposed to have a 60 lumen 1xAA LED light hitting the market. Guess they ran into the same problem as LRI.

dealer

Newly Enlightened
I also have a 7736 and the new 7840 is not nearly as bright. I have a Mag 2AA light and the 7840 (lithium battery) has just a little less throw and much better spill. Based on this using the flashlight review throw and overall charts, It looks like the 7840 should be about equal to the Nuwia Q3 and Fenix L1p 2.5.

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
Update:

After experimenting I may have discovered two reasons why my light is disappointingly dimmer than my other Coast 1.25 watt light.

First, It seem sensitive to the battery used. It's my belief that the light uses a boost circuit but not regulation, so a slightly higher voltage battery results in noticably brighter light.

Second, the switch in my light has a problem. When I push it in and hold it all the way in, it is definately brighter than when I just click the switch on and let go. I noticed this as I went to turn it off and it seemed to flash brighter as I was doing so. Playing with it revealed that it makes better contact when held firmly in. I was in the middle of experimenting with some beamshots when I noticed it... never did finish up the beamshots... but will soon. Haven't had much free time since I got back from volunteering in Louisiana.

I am going to contact Coast first and see what they say. Maybe it's a random problem or something bigger they aren't aware of yet in such a new selling light. If that's not satisfactory I'll see what Sears will do... I know they would refund it but I really like the size and quality of this light... it has Coast's very grippable texture that I have always liked on my 7736. Maybe swapping it for another will solve my problem :)

I'll keep you all updated.