Durability of SF 9P

ghart999

Newly Enlightened
I am considering a 9P to use on my airsoft rifle. It would take some abuse of course but not tons. Would it hold up? I do not have the funds for a M series so that is out of the question. I guess it comes down to the durability of the bulb.

Are there other recommendations with similar lumens to the 9P that may hold up better for under $100? Thanks all.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of action does your air rifle have? Believe it or not, vibrations from some air rifles can be harder on accessories than full power firearm recoil is.

Scott

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend an LED light especially if you are not sure whether the incandescent will live through it. You pay more up front for a LED light but you don't have to keep replacing bulbs or worry about a $20-$25 Surefire lamp blowing on you when you can least afford it.

LEDs may not rival the output of the Surefire P90 bulb (105 lumens) but they do come close. Get a nice 5W, say a Surefire L4 ($135 approx. street price) but think of it - $100 + blown bulb = $125 to keep your light running.

The L4's bezel (designated the KL4, if used separately) is also used on the Surefire Scout Light - their smallest long-gun weaponlight.

Note that SF says the L4 is only 65 lumens but this is a minimum rating - in practice, the L4 often yields much better results - I would say something in the region of 80 lumens at least. (I own both the L4 and parts to make the equivalent of a 9P)

Geologist

Enlightened
Another option is to get the 9P and then the 5W drop in from Bug Out Gear USA. That way you could have a light (100+ lumens) that is shock proof, and still have the option to use the P90 and P91 bulbs....

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking this way... If those cheap airsoft replica surefires that are intended for use on an airsoft gun can last, then why not a real Surefire? All the "good" replica lights intended to mount on an airsoft gun use the real Surefire P60 lamp.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me answer the question. The SF 9P is extreemely durable. You will have no problems using it in this mode what so ever. If you are worried about rough handling there bezel available to shock mount the lamp. The 9p like the 6P is tough tough tough. If you want the tight beam led option get a NEW gen 2 KL3 head. The KL3 head is a drop in replacment for the stock 9P head.

Yaesumofo

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also try to find the shock resistant bezel that was made for the 6P and 9P. That would help absorb most of the shock. I don't think they are still being made though. Maybe get a head from an M2?

ghart999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot all. I will go with an LED version just to be safe.

FNG

Enlightened
Shouldnt have bought that laser. (johnson on ot). Check out the Streamlight TL-3 Xenon.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i'm using a 6P with a A19 and P91 for my M4A1 and i'm having no problems with it. the vibration you're getting from an AEG does nothing compared to a real rifle's recoil. now dropping the gun light first or running into a tree or soemthing light first in the dark (hasent happend to me.knock on wood) it may or may not survive, surefire or even cheaper brands.
the 6/9P is good for distant and also the colour is more natural to look at so you or the person's eye wont hurt as much looking at it at a certain distance unless you are using a M6 or something else as bright. you cant leave the light on to long or it'll be very hot. i left mine on for a few mins and i started to see white smoke from the lens or the around the lens area. anorthing thing with incans is that it will go dim after a few mins of use, which is one reason why i'm concidering using an LED instead.
i forgot what that models name was with the L4 weapon mount. anyhow, an LED like the L4 will be regulated so you'll have a constant brightness for about 2 hours..? it'll turn on faster and an LED hurts more to look at between 10-15 feet, which depending on the rules you play for night games its close enough to stun the person you're pointing at to shoot or mercy him/her. you get a bit more flood to the light which means you'll lose out to distance compared to incans and you may or may not get an LED with a donut hole. also with the flood you might blind yourself from the sidespill if you're playing in a wooded area with bushes.
heck, buy a U2 (multibrightness) or A2 (best of both, incan and LED! good size light as well) and that L4 weapon mount. the A2 with red (saves night vision, also batteries) or white LED is good for walking around or finding/changing stuff in at night and if you hear someone coming at a distance you blast them with 50 Lumens of regulated light. when you're going for the kill you blind them with the L4. i'm hoping to get a A2 for myself as a sidelight just for using it during airsoft. until then my U2, L2 or HDS will have to do. speaking of those lights, mutiple brightness lights are a good tool for this sport. i was thinking of using the U2 for the M4A1 but the light will alway turn on low before quickly jumping to high or whatever level you set it to. its alittle big but i just love the quick brightness level access like the L2, unlike the HDS i have to click 100 times before getting the right level but the HDS is freaking bright and i love the size. small, light and bright which is also good cause you might be carrying alot of gear on you.
oh crap i'm blabbing too much. sorry making you read so much :p

Last edited: