River Rock 2aaa Regulation Type?

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering what type of 'regulation' the River Rock 2aaa has. Simple voltage boost, or current regulation? I did an 'eyeball' runtime last night on mine. Using an Energizer 850mAh Nimh I got 9 hours before it dropped into Moon Mode. After reading several posts, I understand it to put out about 10 lumens. Comparing it my Dorcy 1aaa also running on a freshly charged Energizer 850mAh Nimh - which I assume puts out approximately 3 lumen, obviously the RR2aaa puts out more overall and throws about 2x as far (?) After 9 hours, just before it dropped into Moon Mode, it was obviously not as bright as originally, but still out-threw the Dorcy & put out at least as bright of side-spill - so it had decreased to no lower than 30% of original (3 lumen Dorcy/10 lumen RR). Shortly after 9 hours continuous, there was a very distinct drop in output, to much less than the Dorcy (RR switching to Moon Mode). I turned it off to let it recouperate a little, & it came back on brighter than the Dorcy, for about 20 seconds, then it dropped suddenly down into Moon Mode again. I did this several times. So, 9ish hours to 30+%, then a sudden large drop to very low levels. Is this more like a voltage boost, or current regulation? I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I know the package claims that it is regulated. I searched CPF & found some threads that talked about it having regulation, but not definitively which kind, nor any runtime graphs. Anyway, very impressive, inexpensive little light!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The measurements of this light (which is pretty much the same as the Nuwai TM-311) indicate it is a straight voltage boost. The flat run time curve you got results from the fairly flat discharge curve of nimhs, i.e. that their voltage stays near 1.1-1.2 volts for most of their run time, which makes the light's output pretty stable for most of its run time.
It's a great little light.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's the runtime plot using the Lithium AAA batteries.

As far as anyone's been able to determine, the Nuwai Tm-311 is the same as the RR 2xAAA....only the name on the side of the light is different.

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
nerdgineer, was your runtime using alkalines or NiMH? I saw more of the drop at the end that your link shows. NiMH runtime would be flatter than alkalines, but not quite as flat as Roy's lithium, right? Why wouldn't the lithium runtime still have at least a smaller sudden drop at the end, instead of the gradual fade shown?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The runtime plot that "Nerd" refers to is one of my plots! It was done using alkaline batteries.

balazer

Enlightened
It's too simple to say "straight voltage boost". There are different types of voltage boost circuits, with different types of input/output voltage functions. The best voltage boost circuits have constant or nearly constant output voltage. Even this Nuwai's boost circuit, as less-than-great as it is, is doing something better than a simple multiplicative boost (e.g. 2x) factor.

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Roy, no insult meant. I didn't know :shrug: Thanks for doing those! :thanks: :goodjob: