E2D Alternatives?

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a TID equipped compact light to carry while wearing a business suit. Is the E2D Defender the only game in town?

I'm looking for:

Minimum 60 lumen output, preferably more (lots more).

No bigger than the E2D.

An integral TID.

The HDS U120 Porcupine sounds perfect but, unfortunately, doesn't exist......

Any advice?

Cheers

Dave

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

Why do you need the TID to be integral??

The closest setup that I can think of is the Inova X5 with a GG&G TID on it.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
TID=Tactical Impact Device

Why do you need a TID? Why wouldn't using a light in a kubaton-like fashion be just as effective? I have heard it argued that in the hands of an expert an e2d would do too much damage and in the hands of a non-expert it wouldn't do enough.

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, Thanks for the F2 recommendation, looks like a nice light. Shame the "prongs" aren't as prominent as the E2D but, even so, this could be just what I'm looking for, particularly as it will take a P61 (or a P91 on the 3 cell body?).

For the price I'll probably get an E2D and an F2 and see which I prefer.

I wonder if anybody would make an F2 Porcupine head :)

Cheers!

Dave

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Cornkid said:
I would go with the e2d.. What a beautiful light.. The F2 just looks.. well.. boring.

-tom

But it has a less than boring 200 lumen potential (if I go with the 3 cell body and P91 lamp)...............

AndyT

Newly Enlightened
I am edcing VG2 body + E2D head. It is smaller than e2d and allows bezel down carry, thuse being less promiment. It's pretty handy too.

Andrew.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I've got the F2 loaded with a P91 and driven by 2 R123's. At about 4.2 no-load each (3.7 volts X 2= 7.4 volts at load), the 2 rechargeable 123's supply enough juice to power up the P91...It's only good for about 10-12 minutes, but those are screaming bright minutes! I don't know if the P91 actually hits the 200 lumens it's spec'd for a 3xCR123 configuration, but I bet that it's damn close.

Besides being an incredibly powerful 4.9" flashlight, it's also a real blast for showing off. I tell unsuspecting folks to hold out their arm and then I shine the light from about 8-10 inches away. Incredibly bright spot on their arm...that gets warm fast! Makes quite an impression. :D

Last edited:

nc987

Enlightened
does the pronged part of an e2d come off separate from the rest of the head? Anyone tried this?

Kris

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the E2D, Vital Gear stuff is nice but it's hare to beat the E2D for it's size.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Dave Huck,

Dave, I dont want to sound boring or trying to teach you to suck eggs etc. etc, but the E2D is sold in the States as an impact weapon and as such would be illegal if used in this way in the UK. If you were searched by a Police Officer in the UK who knew what the E2D was you would quite possibly be charged with carrying an offensive weapon!

This subject has been discussed over on British Blades Forum and it was the view of the legal experts and police officer members here that this light does constitute an offensive weapon under UK regulations. The fact that it is not illegal to be imported and sold in the UK doesn't mean that its posession or use in a public place would be legal.

The FB2 whilst similar is not sold specifically as an impact weapon and therefore if used in self defensive manner would be less likely to bring the might of the law down on you.

If you do decide that you want to take the risk in carrying one on you then perhaps you could cover the impact bezel with a filter rubber to disguise the teeth? At least by doing that you have a 50-50 chance of not appearing to be carrying anything obviously weapon like?

Doug

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Doug,

Thanks for the warning. I believe that ANYTHING can be construed as an offensive weapon under British law, particularly if it was used in an incident. Unless you're a rapper with an unlicensed firearm of course.

I was going to get all worked up and rant on about how the UK is going downhill fast.....

But I've basically given up on UK and now work in Holland.........

Which is where I carry a Vital Gear FB2 with an E2d head (a very nice set-up by the way, thanks to Lighthound!).

And I'm damn sure the Dutch Police would take a reasonable stance towards towards such outrageous behaviour as going "armed with incandescence".

Sorry if I come across as rather cynical but I'm really tired of what my country of birth is turning into.