My poor little dog

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back from the emergency vet clinic and my 7-year old Chihuahua mix is going to lose his eye.
As long as we've had him he's had the bad habit of trying to get amorous with our cattle dog (chihuahua: 10 pounds -- cattle dog: 50 pounds) and she usually lets him have it so we're guessing that tonight it went to the next level.
Found him with the one eye completely prolapsed and the vets say it can't be saved.
Very very bummed.
:mecry:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
You will just have to love your dog that much more and he will be there for you. He will have a character mark as a badge of courage for "going for it"! :)

I had a mini schnauzer who lost an eye to a foxtail that got in behind the eye and the vet didn't make the right diagnosis until it was too late. :( When Norton left this world, he went out with one eye, a heart murmer, three bad discs and a number of scars. He also left someone behind who still misses him but that someone learned that every day that is shared in the pressence of an animal one is bonded to is a precious day. My wife and I share our home with Salty now. He is a Westie and getting up there in years. Had a bad scare a few months back and thought we were going to loose him. He's not so quick anymore but still knows how to cuddle and bring happiness and comfort.

I am sorry for your little guy's loss of his eye! I suggest you spend some quality time with him and explain the need to keep his other eye to himself and out of harms way! :eek:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i had a dog when i was a kid he was blind and i think death and dumb as a box a rocks everytimne it raqined the cane frogs would come out and he would eat one makeing him ill .but he enever learned not to eat em o he wasnt blind at first he got blind when he was older. but he kept on going long time lol he would even jump out the window moveing car but my point is he did good even when blind lol he woulkd still find the neebers food after eating his lol i hope ya dog gets better but how in the world could he even atept to go at a catle is amazeing

TorchMan

Enlightened
Yeah, that's bad news. My thoughts are with you and your dog. I guess there is no practical way to seperate the two, especially at night when you can't watch them?

Seeing the words "emergency vet" makes me cringe. When I last walked out of one of those places on Feb. 18, 2004, I had the corpse of a black and tan blue tick hound ("Blue" was only four years old) and a $3300 bill. :mecry:

I am glad you at least still have your dog. I know how traumtic that is for all of you and the dog.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm so sorry to hear this, the poor little fella. :(

I'm sure he'll adapt, but he won't have any depth perception with only one eye so I'd recommend going through the house and make sure there are no pointy things sticking out at his eye level. I wouldn't want him to injure his remaining eye!

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry about your dog losing an eye. Dogs are remarkable creatures and I bet it won't affect him at all after he is home. Dogs can adapt to almost anything, that's why they are so great. My heart is with you, I know how hard this must be for you.

Lisa
smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if it's any consolation, I basically get by with one eye (20/300) in bad eye and I'm sure your little fellah will adapt. Thankfully he's still alive.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all.

I really should be used to this by now.
Along with my wife came her 2 dogs -- Indi, the Australian Shepard, who was completely blind (juvenile cataracts) and Solstice, the American Eskimo. Solstice went completely deaf maybe 3 years in to our relationship (reaction to an anaesthetic).
We made quite the group at the park.

We later added Ceri, the Australian Cattle dog, and then we lost Solstice.
After Solstice came Sputnik, an other Eskimo, and I swore we were through for a while.
But then my wife brought home the Chihauhau.

He was only supposed to be a temporary placement until we found him a proper home -- he had horrible skin, horrible teeth, he smelled, and he thought he was the toughest coolest dog in the world.
Stupid thing jumped into my lap not 5 minutes after walking in the door.
We tried lots of names but the only thing he took any notice to was Rudi.
When we thought we'd finally found a good home for him I just couldn't pass him on.
Stupid guy had suckered me in but good.
And so Rudi stayed. That was about three years ago now.
Maybe if I had passed him on he'd still have both eyes.

Guilt is a big part of this.
That and the pity. A little 10-pound Chihuahua with a dislodged eyeball is a truly pathetic (and kinda gross) sight, let me tell you.

I'm feeling bad for me, I'm feeling bad for him, and I'm feeling bad for my wife.
A big vet bill is something we didn't need right now.

She read your postings though.
Thanks from both of us.

TorchMan

Enlightened
GJW,

The guilt and "what if's" are normal and indicative of how much you care. You have done nothing to feel guilty about, IMO. You love Rudi, and that shows. He loves you back. I went through the "woulda, coulda, shouldas" with Blue, too. It has lessened a great degree with time. These things happen, they are a part of life.

You guys were meant for each other. Not looking pretty won't change that. Love is blind...

Last edited: