Saw the movie Serenity (no spoilers)...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the TV series on DVD and watched it several times. Saw the movie this evening, and I really enjoyed it (even at $9 a ticket :awman: ). Recommend it for everyone, and more for fans.

Last edited:

bhds

Enlightened
Saw the movie tonight and highly recommend it for fans of the series. Unfortunately I dont think its going to find a wide audience. You really need to have seen the series to understand whats going on. Also, a lot of the humor you either get it or you don't.
The ending kind of pissed me off though. It was good but I didnt like what happened to............
:)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
bhds said:
Saw the movie tonight and highly recommend it for fans of the series. Unfortunately I dont think its going to find a wide audience. You really need to have seen the series to understand whats going on. Also, a lot of the humor you either get it or you don't.
The ending kind of pissed me off though. It was good but I didnt like what happened to............
:)

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. I think it will find a large audience, and I totally disagree that you have to see the series to understand what's going on. It's all right there. The whole story. Nothing else NEEDS to be known. Having seen the TV series adds more background and information, but it is not at all necessary.

I loved it. Every bit of it. Begining, middle, ending, everything. A really great movie. I highly recommend it to everyone who has any taste at all for sci fi.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will find an audience because there hasn't been any good scifi released in a very good time. Any non-horror sci fi anyway. There is a decent market for this kind of thing among regular people too ;) This summer has had like 1 good movie, and it was so good that I can't actually remember now what it was ;) So I'll not be surprised if it does decently well. Probably not a 100 million opening weekend, but it should play well enough.

83Venture

Enlightened
I enjoyed it very much. Did not get to see the series when it was on but have been watching it on Sci-Fi channel and have seen about 6 of them.

Seems funny that I found a series I like only after it had been cancelled. After the movie I went out and bought the series DVD. I don't know if it will lead to a renewal for the show but I can always hope. :candle:

I will get the movie when it comes out.

bhds

Enlightened
Unfortunately a "good" movie doesnt mean box office success. The original series is a perfect example. We all agree that it was a great series but it didnt get the ratings to last more than 1 season.

I listened to a young couple talking as I was coming out of the theater and the girl was gushing about the movie and kept asking her boyfriend/husband what he thought. His comments were "it was interesting", "some of the action was allright", "why were they talking in chinese ?" etc etc.

I enjoyed it and thats all that matters:popcorn: :grin2:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic said:
"but it should play well enough"

Well enough to get the series back?

-LT

God I hope so. I really hope so. Fox friggin' burried this show. I guess they figured they had made a mistake picking it up in the first place and decided to cut their losses as much as possible. As I heard it, the show was more or less canceled (but not officially) even before the first episode aired. And even the rave review the show got from a NYT reviewer did nothing to change that. The people at Fox are, to all appearances, simply idiots. This isn't the first example of them doing something like this.

I'm just so glad that "Serenity" got made. In fact, it got picked up before Universal even knew exactly what it was going to be. The woman who was responsible said that "She believed in it". Meaning the FireFly story and world that Joss had created. And Joss more or less got free reign. He said it was his best experience with a studio. Or something like that.

Anyway, this show deserves to be reborn. Whether or not that will happen is another story. But we can hope. We can hope.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joss has said that if the Firefly group is brought back, it'll be in more movies and not on TV.

I've never seen the series or the movie, but I'm planning on checking it out. Big fan of Whedon's previous products.

Brock

Flashaholic
I had never heard of the show until it hit Sci-Fi or if I had I never imagined it was sci-fi in nature. In any case I like the show, might even go see it on the big screen.

I do hope that Sci-Fi picks it up and runs with it.

humor and sci-fi, perfect in my book.

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
There has been a recent run of good, intelligent SF shows on lately. Unfortunately they don't alway last as long as we would like. I was devastated when I found out that Farscape was being cancelled. As far a I'm concerned, Farscape is the most entertaining an orignal SF show to hit the air in a long long time. It was nice to see the gang back together in the Peackeeper Wars, and to get a final resolution to the series, but I still think is is a shame that we have seen the end of Farscape.

Battlestar Galactica is filling the void right now. It isn't nearly as original as other SF shows, but it's got great acting, good production values, and compelling story lines. They are doing a good job and going in the right direction with this show. It's edgy and bold, and manages to be emotionally fulfilling all at the same time.

I only ever watched one episode of Firefly. It didn't grab me. To me it seemed too much like Briscoe County Jr. in Space. But going from just one episode it's hard to make a clear judgement call. I guess I'll have to catch one the "Chain Reaction's" on SCIFI when they run a bunch of episodes and check it out.

Racer X

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
racerx2oo3 said:
I only ever watched one episode of Firefly.
The trick is: you have to watch the PILOT episode of Firefly. That will tell you in one sitting if it's for you or not, I think...

Never saw it until someone sat me down to watch the pilot, and that did it. And I've done it to a bunch of others the same way. Works about 80% of the time.

arioch

Enlightened
Saw the movie, and loved it. Tied up some loose ends that were left dangling after the @*$(#!! cancellation of the show by FOX TV. Also left a clear opening for future sequels ... :) ... pending box office returns, of course. Loved one of Kaylie's off hand comments ... he he.

One thing that was unfortunately missing from the movie were the "men in black" from the TV show. Those hyper sonic, make-you-bleed-out-of-every-orifice gadgets they carried around were cool. And those agents were a lot more intimidating than the movie's Operative (shiver, tremble ... not!).

I watched the show during its original run on TV, and liked it a lot. I then bought it on DVD when it came out. Some of the episodes were better than others. If you are pressed for time, I would suggest "Serenity, parts 1 and 2" (the first episodes, and bringing aboard of River and Simon), "Out of Gas" (the "origin" episode of Serenity and her crew, and my personal favorite), and possibly "Bushwacked" (Reaver stuff).

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the original series, I agree "Out of Gas" was one of the best, outside the pilot. I liked them all pretty much, but my other favorites were the 2 shows with "Mrs. Reynolds". The comic and dramatic timing of the first "Mrs. Reynolds" was just exquisite.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Saw this movie when it opened last Friday and I liked it quite a bit that I had to see it 2 more times (total of 3). . .Did not get to see the televised series which now would have me wanting to buy the DVD collection. How many episodes were there?

bhds

Enlightened
arioch said:
Loved one of Kaylie's off hand comments ... he he.

If its the same one I'm thinking of .. A lot of people in the audience didnt quite catch it because she says it kind of fast but those of us that did were rolling on the floor:crackup: :crackup:

Somebody should start a poll. Something similiar to "Maryann or Ginger?"

arioch

Enlightened
quotes from bhds:

[If its the same one I'm thinking of .. A lot of people in the audience didnt quite catch it because she says it kind of fast but those of us that did were rolling on the floor]

Most of the people during my showing caught the comment ... much laughter ensued. Although it might have seemed out of character for someone as cute and adorable as her, viewers of the TV show might remember how she and Captain Mal first met ... :) (This was shown on the episode "Out of Gas")

[Somebody should start a poll. Something similiar to "Maryann or Ginger?"]

If you are speaking about Kaylie (Maryann) or Inara (Ginger), hooboy. Kaylie is very cute and unpretentious, and radiates warmth. Inara is exotic, gorgeous, and "mysterious". Hard to say.

Zoe does nothing for me, sorry. Saffron? Wooohoooo!!!! Saffron kissing Inara (episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds")? Woohoooooooooo!!!!!

On a separate note, I have read much about how some who watched the movie did not get some of the intricacies because there was a lot of information from the TV show that was not included in the movie, with the movie providing only a summary of things that came before. However, having seen the movie and the TV series before it, I thought the movie did a pretty good job of putting forth most of the relevant information needed to get you through the movie. Yes, it would be better if you watched the "Firefly" series to get the low down and more character depth on the characters, but this is true for many movies made from TV shows (most notably Star Trek).

This is certainly a good reason for all who liked the movie to go out immediately and buy the TV series on DVD, which would boost sales of the DVD, already one of the better selling TV series on DVD. And after you watch the TV series on DVD, then go and watch the movie at the theater one or two or seven more times.

Saffron kissing Inara ... Wooohooooo!!!!:)