Nuwai Q-3

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My purchase of the Fenix light has made me aware of this Nuwai Q-3 light. Over the last few months, I've had folks ask me about it, but I had never owned one or even given it a second look. Well, my curiousity has gotten the better of me and I order a couple Q-3's. I should have them next week. Like most other lights, I've read good and bad things about them. Guess I'll be able to form my own opinion soon enough.

txkaratedude

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what your needs are in a light but I have one and really like it. It has decent throw and good flood. I EDC mine in my pocket in it's nylon case. It's not too bulky and the battery lasts a while. I use surefire batteries and though I haven't tested run time I seem to get plenty of use from them. I'll be surprised if you aren't impressed with the Q-3. It's a bright, compact handy little light.

Geologist

Enlightened
TIN -
Can't believe you don't already have one.... Nice light. Normally comes with a Lux III S**K. Nice reflector, plastic lens, reverse clickie. Not the most efficient boost circuit, but a R123 eliminates the need for it anyway. Boil/Bake to open the head, the star is very easy to swap. A lot of people are starting to use them as hosts for the FluPic.

Would like to hear your comments once you have played around with the light.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some useful links -

Nuwai Q3 Changes

Nuwai Q3 has changed driver boards!

Nuwai Q3 with RCR123 + Nano Charger

Nuwai Q3 (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 )

and from:

Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium) (
multipage.gif
1 2 )

FenixL1_Q3.jpg
FenixL1_Q3_2U.jpg

onthebeam

Enlightened
Could you explain about the FluPic? Is that multistage? I have the two stage upgrade now but wonder if the FluPic has advantages?? The Q3 is terrific by the way. At $29 from Amondotech, it's great to have in the arsenal! Still waiting to compare to the Fenix. . .

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been saying for a long time now that the Q3 is a great starter light. It is a tremendous value. At about $30.00 this light more than delivers. I don't like the clip. most people seem to like the clip though. The q3's I have both have a pretty good tint. This light is a regulated 3 watt LUXIII flashlight with a desent beam. The finish is certainly acceptable. I own 2. one lives with a fresh battery in my ENG sound bag allways at the ready. The other also with a fresh battery lives in a storage holder thingy in my car.

TIN. I am sure you will enjoy the Q3. You may or may not go through a few to find one with the tint you prefer.
Enjoy.
Yaesumofo

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
It's been said here that the screws on the clip take a #5 Torx bit.

The #5 bit was too small for mine, and I partially stripped one of the screw heads. A #6 was a tight fit, but did the job.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really liked my Q3... until it died afer about 6 months of light use.

Some guys loose the "Luxeon Lottery", I seem to loose the "Electronics Lottery." I have had two other Nuwai lights become intermittant, or just plain die under similar mild use. Is it the switch? Is it the circuit boards? Is it time to look for another manufacturer?

Bob_G

Enlightened
Note that if you want to remove the clip - I hate it - it takes a #6 Torx, not #5 as has been often stated. I can't verify this, but it fits with my experience of mangling 4 of them with a #5 :)

A Milkymod silver titanium Q3 is one of my 2 or 3 favorite lights - for the price, including mods (which I'm not really capable of doing, so much less if you can do it yourself) it's hard to beat. My silver baby (SOP's name for the Q3) is a NG500/TWOJ/2-way "off/off" switch/IMS 20mm/UCL/recessed switch. I love the little guy.

For anyone with tender fingers like me and a recessed switch, an o-ring on the body does wonders for grip (cigar grip that is), and also seems to keep it upright in your pocket.

Edit for brain fart.

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray,
Like you, I had never tried a Q3. I've been reading about them here on CPF seemingly forever but for the last couple of years I've been on a hunt for the smallest "pocket rockets" I could find. The Nuwai Q3 always seemed way too large for a 1X123 light so I wasn't interested.

A few months ago, a gent threw in a free Nexxtech in a Orb Raw package deal. Nexxtech is a Q3 copy without the scalloped bezel ring, (which I like better), and is also made by Nuwai. It even came with a Nexxtech leather carry case.

These are NICE lights! My example has a beautiful white beam with a really large hotspot and good sidespill. I've been running a 3.7V R123 in it for the last few months and it's been reliable as hell. I would have paid $100.00 or more for this light just a couple of years ago if I knew then how good these are!

I know you don't like reverse clickies, (which I do), and others have said, the Q3 has a lousy clip. I LIKE the clip but as Bob_G mentioned, the previous owner must not have because the clip screws were pretty mangled when I received it. Other than those minor issues, these are really nice lights and at today's prices, one of the best bargains out there.

wwglen

Enlightened
One thing REALLY like about the Q-III is the 1-AA extender you can get on E-Bay.

Mine is bare aluminum but the newer ones are HA and only adds about 1/4" - 1/2" to the length of the Q-III.

With the AA in the light you get about 1/2 - 3/4 the output of a Non Rechargable 123 and something like 4-5 hours run time.

With a R-123 it runs about 1.5 times brighter than the non rechargable.

I also got a 2-Stage switch for it. Makes it a VERY nice light.

I decided I like the output of the R123 and was afread I would lose the AA extender by keeping it in the drawer and if I needed the AA capability I wouldn't have it.

So I decided to leazve the extender on the light. I took a small piece of aluminum foil and rolled it up to take up the extra space in the extender. Covered the sides to prevent the aluminum from shorting out to the side of the extender. Now I can run CR123s, R123s, Alkline AAs and NiMh AAs as needed.

I can't wait to copmpair my Fenix 2.5 1Lp with a AA and my Q-III with a AA.

wwglen

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs: to Nuwai Q3 for its value and quality! I use the clip a lot and would be one of the rare few who appreciate it. I used #6 Torx to remove it, bent it inward a lil bit and screw it. Always attach it to the tip of my baseball cap as a 3WATT headlamp!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm looking forward to getting this light. I'm hoping I don't lose the lottery. I've seen several comparision pictures with the Fenix and it appears the Q-3 can be very green in tint.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has a little bit of a green tint, but hey, that what modding is for. It's still a great light for it's size.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
Thanks, but I don't want a light that requires me to MOD it for it to be acceptable.

I agree. The tint on both of mine were fine. I use a protected R123 in mine. Brighter than with a standard 123 and no problems yet. Love it, great value for the money.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
Thanks, but I don't want a light that requires me to MOD it for it to be acceptable.
Even with the tint it is still quite acceptable for the money. Especially mine, it was free. :)

Latest posts