Anyone try these E-bay 1xAAA ARC'ish copies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieRay

Enlightened
I got one a few days ago. For the price it is a great value. Beam is whiter than the Arc, but not near as bright. No way this is 1 watt, and the package that it comes in doesn't have any wattage listed on it.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
just got one! lol i'll try to upgrade it with a Nichia CS... i'll post it if all goes well!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally Posted by The_LED_Museum
New evaluation: 1xAAA 1xLED Flashlight

1xaaa1.jpg

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/fourth/1xaaa.htm

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just another example of a foreign company ripping off an American design. I'd think Peter Gransee would be a little upset about this light so closely resembling his. And those who purchase it are just giving these companies all the more reason to keep on stealing/copying American ideas/designs.
I understand the need for cheap alternatives to some of our favorite lights, but this is ridiculous!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you consider Peak lights to be a clone of Arc? How about CMG/Gerber?

Size and shape are of course going to be similar, they use AAA batteries.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nemul: I was thinking the exact same thing! :D But then again, I don't want a light as bright as my Arc I just upgraded... :) But it would be a bright gift for someone..

Big_ed, true, but these are no where near the quality of Arc lights. No HA, and the LED will surely degrade over time.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevrofreak, as far as Peak being clones of Arcs, maybe they are, but wasn't there some back story about one of the designers having the rights to the design of the AAA? I might very well be mistaken about that, but even if not, Peak isn't trying to sell their lights at a greatly reduced price, undercutting Arc. Besides, Peak makes numerous types of lights, made of different metals to give them a distinctive look, not just a 1AAA cell light that looks like an Arc AAA. If people are seeing Peak lights and are thinking they are Arcs, then there needs to be some clearcut way to differentiate the two in my opinion.
I don't consider CMG/Gerber clones because they look totally different. True, they may be very similar on the inside, but if you see one, you won't say, "Hey, that's an Arc, isn't it?" No they have their own look, unlike the foreign ones, whose makers are trying to make you think you are buying an Arc product, instead of the imposter that it is.
Now I'm far from an expert in legal matters, but I'd assume it'd be a lot harder to get a Chinese manufacturer to stop selling these rip-offs than to get another domestic manufacturer to stop. I assume Peter already has some sort of agreement, contract, understanding, or whatever with Peak for them making lights that look so much like Arc AAA's, but that's another matter altogether.
These Chinese manufacturers are just leeches when they copy a design and overall look of a light. And I agree they are most likely junk compared to a genuine Arc AAA. But if someone bought one of these clones, not knowing it's a clone and not a genuine Arc AAA, and it failed or disappointed them in some way, do you think that person would ever buy an actual Arc? No way. So in a case like that, buying a clone would hurt Arc 2 ways. First, the initial sale was not an actual Arc, (1 lost sale) and any future sales of an Arc (2 lost sales or more) to that person would not happen.

Like I said before, I understand the need for inexpensive alternatives to the popular lights found here on CPF, just not when they are rip-offs of the genuine article. Of course most CPF'rs would be able to tell the difference. Most people who buy them on ebay wouldn't. Supporting the copy-cat manufacturers only encourages them to keep on ripping off other's original designs/ideas.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big_Ed said:
And I agree they are most likely junk compared to a genuine Arc AAA...
Isn't that what we're all about here, to assess and not pre-judge?

Not that it matters to the 6.5 billion people who don't read CPF, but isn't one of the things we do here to evaluate these unheard of lights and assess - truthfully - whether they are junk or not, no matter who makes it?

I recall in the old Cold War days, no one badmouthed the AK's because it was a Commie weapon, made by slave labor. We understood it and respected it for the extraordinary arm that it was, which is different from whether it was a benefit to mankind or not.

And as far as I can tell, the jury on this light is out right now. According to Craig, it puts out about 30 cd while the old Arc AAA premium put out about 20 cd, and the color is good. I think Craig's acknowledged somewhere that it is made of steel instead of aluminum like the Arcs so the thinner walls don't necessarily mean it's weaker.

The durability of it's electronics and the lumen maintenance of it's LED are unknown right now, but it took years to understand that for the old Arcs. So it could be the deal of the century (or maybe not - but it's not obvious junk on its face).

Whether you or I would choose to buy one is a separate matter of personal principle and choice, but that's not the same as saying that it's junk just because we don't think people should buy one.

Just my 2 cents.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admit, I'm very biased. I'd trust an Arc over the Chinese clone every time. I base a lot of my opinions on where it's made. I believe in American craftsmanship and take pride in American products. I'd rather keep as much of my money in America, so it's also a matter of principal as well.
I also feel that the Chinese products have a lousy reputation in general. Most of the Chinese made lights I've owned over the years have been junk. Not so with the American lights I've owned. Of course there are exceptions, I'm sure. And there are some crappy American products out there, too. But I feel American lights have a far superior reputation. Reputation goes a long way.
I will say that I'm glad that we have the choice to buy the lights we want, cheap or expensive, foreign or domestic. I hope I haven't offended anyone here, because that's not my intention, but make no appologies for my opinions or buying habits.

Brock

Flashaholic
Not to knock anyone but do we know it is made in China or even out of the states? The company is listed as being in CA, here in the US. Maybe it is a side run from some machine shop?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock said:
Not to knock anyone but do we know it is made in China or even out of the states? The company is listed as being in CA, here in the US. Maybe it is a side run from some machine shop?

Yep, it's from China, as is written on the end of the review by the LED Museum, check it here: ledmuseum.candlepower.us/fourth/1xaaa.htm

balazer

Enlightened
I bought one of these lights. It's decent. The machining is not flawless, but it's strong enough. It's very small and light - great size for a keychain. The light output is o.k., I guess, considering the size and cost. I don't have any other very small lights to compare it to.

I hastily ripped the light open to see if it could be modded. The boost circuit is unbelievably small. I am hopeful that this light will do a nice job with a lithium cell and an MJLED, ISP 100 mA LED, or 35,000 mcd LED. (all of which should arrive this week for my modding pleasure)

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Balazer: MJLED is the same as the 100ma ISP led. Only select very low Vf I belive. Is the circuit potted in epoxy?

balazer

Enlightened
But the MJLED is cut down. I am interested to see if the reflector in this little light will work well with the cut-down LED.

The circuitry is not potted.
1-aaa-circuit.jpg

The LED is not standing straight only because I pushed on the LED to force it out of the bezel. The bezel is crimped around the base of the circuit board. You need to uncrimp it and then push the circuit out by the LED.

Last edited:

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
Big Ed,

What is your base of knowledge to make these broad generalizations? What flashlights do you own? What do you know about electronics? What country manufacturers the 5mm LEDs in your ARC flashlight?

Your feelings and beliefs are your own, but don't attempt to pass them off as conclusions of fact. Yes, you are a biased person with nothing to add but personal sentiments. Thank you, but you really should post this crap on your local YMCA board.

Thank you kindly for your comments,
Dave

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Balazer: cool thanks for the pic. I've already opened an ArcAAA and replaced the led witha nichia CS, so this looks to be a lot easier (no epoxy potting compound). Perhaps I'll get one and put a Cyan LED, Green LED, or something colorfull instead of a white led.. Hmmm. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.