Donating plasma?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
A friend and I were thinking of giving plasma this week. Has any body done it here? What did you think? I've donated blood with no problems afterward, is it similar?

I heard from a friend that you get payed to do it!:huh2: That seems kinda weird.:shrug: Any one know why?

analogguy

Enlightened
offroadcmpr said:
A friend and I were thinking of giving plasma this week. Has any body done it here? What did you think? I've donated blood with no problems afterward, is it similar?

I heard from a friend that you get payed to do it!:huh2: That seems kinda weird.:shrug: Any one know why?

I used to donate platlets quite often, and I believe the process is similar. A needle is inserted into a vein and whole blood is taken. The blood enters a centrifuge where the plasma is separated from the other blood components (ie.-red cells, white cells, platelets) and collected into a separate bag. The other blood components are then returned to your body through the same needle, or through a needle in your other arm. A rather more involved process than a whole blood donation.

Frangible

Enlightened
offroadcmpr said:

"Donating" plasma is less stressful on the body, many people do it 2x a week for an extra income source. It carries a small risk of death that's fairly insignificant per donation, but I certainly would not want to do it full time. Long term effects that you are guaranteed to get include blood vessel scarring, scarring of the skin, and a loss of antibodies which compromises your immune system.

Because your plasma gets resold at a very great profit by the corporation that harvests it. Paying people a small amount of the profit they get increases their profits more than trying to get free donations only.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frangible said:
Because your plasma gets resold at a very great profit by the corporation that harvests it. Paying people a small amount of the profit they get increases their profits more than trying to get free donations only.

I have done over a hundred plasma donations, a bunch of whole blood donations and one platelet donation. I donate in Canada, where the system does not pay for any donations (whole blood, plasma or platelets). The "reward" you get here is a framed certificate and a dinner at certain milestones (~100, 150 and 200) and, of course, the felling you get when you do something good :) . They issue various level donor cards (bronze 25, silver 50, gold 100 and platinum 200) and you get coffee/juice/donuts after each donation. :)

I first gave blood with my father when I was 16 or 17. I have been donating ever since. The older I get, the more I realize how much I have learned from him.

Paul

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Frangible - I guess that makes sense, I always figured that it was like donating blood, you just did it becuase it was a good thing to do. I did not realize that there was a profit to be made off of it.

Chimo - :goodjob: on the donations. That was always my favorite part of donating blood, the free food afterward. :rock:

It sounds like it will take a little longer than givng blood, but hey, it will be a good time to study.

Brandon

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no way I'd donate my Plasma (if i had one)! I dream of getting one of them big pretty TV's one day!

Frangible

Enlightened
chimo said:
I have done over a hundred plasma donations, a bunch of whole blood donations and one platelet donation. I donate in Canada, where the system does not pay for any donations (whole blood, plasma or platelets). The "reward" you get here is a framed certificate and a dinner at certain milestones (~100, 150 and 200) and, of course, the felling you get when you do something good :) . They issue various level donor cards (bronze 25, silver 50, gold 100 and platinum 200) and you get coffee/juice/donuts after each donation. :)

I first gave blood with my father when I was 16 or 17. I have been donating ever since. The older I get, the more I realize how much I have learned from him.

Paul

Yeah well, that's because Canada has a more sane medical system than the US ;) A certain amount of it is certainly needed to help people.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
when I was in my early 20's I donated plasma twice a week for over 6 years.

my beautiful 19 year old girlfriend worked there.

a 15 guage needle was stuck into each of my arms over 300 times per arm.

I must have been insane.

Frangible

Enlightened
markdi said:
when I was in my early 20's I donated plasma twice a week for over 6 years.

my beautiful 19 year old girlfriend worked there.

a 15 guage needle was stuck into each of my arms over 300 times per arm.

I must have been insane.

Outta curiosity, what's the residual scarring from that like now?