L4 w/ McE2S 2-stage tailcap: resistor question

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a McE2S 2-stage tailcap (Flat Top/ Trim) on my L4, with a 22 ohm resistor. I use AW's protected 17670 cell to power it, and have been very happy with this set-up.

One thing I would like to improve, however, is the brightness level on "low". Unlike many users, who need a "low" low for close-up work, I need a moderately bright "low" for walking easy, open trails, with "high" available for overgrown, difficult trails where I need a strong look-around. My current low, with the 22 ohm resistor, is a good bit too low for my purposes, esp. on the li-on cell. I'm thinking I'd like about 50-65% of max output to be my low setting, and am unsure how low of a resistor I'll need. I know a 15 ohm resistor is available, but are there even lower ones that might be more appropriate?

I'm not very mechanical, and would probably screw up the re-assembly if I took the switch apart myself, so I will probably take Cindy (at the Shoppe) up on her kind offer to do it for me for a nominal fee. So, I need to decide in advance, without any experimentation, what level resistor is right for what I have in mind. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

:thanks:

Andrew

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Re: McE2S 2-stage tailcap: resistor question

I think that running 2 CR123's would result in it being brighter because
the higher voltage would "pump" out a higher current (unregulated) in the
low setting. (for the same resistance)

However if you do use 2 cells, I think you should only use primaries.

As a rule, using rechargeables (li-ions) is probably not advisable as I doubt that the regulator in the KL4 head is designed to be used with > 6v.

Having said that you may be able to use Batterystation's protected
rechargeables that only reach a peak of 3V. Just make sure that they're not
li-ions that peak out at 4.2V

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Are you using a rechargeable cell? Do you have a rough idea what % of max. output the 10 ohm provides?

Thanks again,

Andrew

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I'm thinking I'd like about 50-65% of max output to be my low setting, and am unsure how low of a resistor I'll need.

Won't work with the McE2S as this uses a resistor to kick the driver out of regulation and you get a more or less bright (depending on resistor) moon-mode, and this won't reach 50% original brightness AFAIK.

You can try 10 ohms or buy the L2, U2 or HD45 for example.

Dito to easyled on 2x123 ... will be brighter than 1xLi-Ion on low.

bernie