Blackout at work today

Makarov

Enlightened
There was a blackout at work today, 3 minutes into my first cup of (morning)coffe...

No imediate problem for us, as we had the daylight to rely on, but as I first (wrongly) believed that it was the fuse, I whipped out my Keymate and found the key to the fusebox. On my way out I retrieved my E2e from my jacket and went to "our" fusebox.
On the way I met an electrician who was there to check on the firesystem and he told me that the whole school was dark.
I believed that he might have tripped the main fuse, and he was unsure about the cause of the blackout. So we went down to the basement to check out the main fusepanel.

We didn't find any tripped fuses, and as we were looking my E2e just blacked out. Before the electrician had finished the sentence "now we don't have a light" I fired up my Keymate :)

When I came up I was told that someone had cut the cable to our area while digging, and that it would take an hour to restore the electricity.
I put one of the cheap incans (2D) we got as a light in the bathroom. It can tailstand, so it lighted up the roof and gave more than enough illumination of the room.

I then took my spare 123's from my jacket and changed batteries and tested the E2e, then I retrieved my MM (with a TL-5 replacement ledbulb and Krollswitch) from the bag and used it as primary.
Then I went "ghosthunting" with one of the kids (I work with handicapped children) using the flashlights to light up the windowless rooms :)

All in all a lot of fun for a flashaholic, at least until they restored power half an hour later :D

What I did learn/got confirmed;
- if you're serious about EDC'ing a flashlight, carry two, you never know. (I have a Photon Freedom Micro on my keychain as well as the Keymate in my pocket)
- There's not much dimming of the light before the 123's cuts the power. Even if I have read about it I seriously didn't think it would be so abrupt.
- I need a better primary pocket EDC...

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
I bet your glad you had your EDC then,

" .. I need a better primary pocket EDC .. "

That will be an HDS EDC of one form or another then, can I suggest the Ultimate version, I would agree with you re carrying a back up and top marks for upgrading your Minimag, I carry 2 in my workbag as backup's

Mark

Techmedic

Enlightened
Congratulations on being very well prepared, with back up mm's, and spare 123's!!

Now, pat yourself on the back and...(spend more $)...

Put a KL-4 (led) onto your e2e and then it will just gradually dim allowing you time to retrieve your backup to change the batteries. Now you have an ideal EDC. (On my wish list, of course!!)

Makarov

Enlightened
I want something small that'll fit in my already overstuffed pocket...

I also have to keep a budget, I guess that this years present from Santa can cost approx 100$

The contestants:

Nuwai QIII 32$
ARC aaa P 40$
Fenix L1P (2.0 or 2.5) 44$
Orb RAW with 2 stage switch 72$
JIL 1.3 (up) 84$
Vital Gear FB1 with a KL1 91$
Surefire E1L 98$
Orb Son of Raw approx 100$ (If it comes out)

Anyone I forgot?

I think the lights using 123's is to big for me, but it's difficult to decide :)

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Techmedic said:
Put a KL-4 (led) onto your e2e and then it will just gradually dim allowing you time to retrieve your backup to change the batteries. Now you have an ideal EDC. (On my wish list, of course!!)
The KL4 will dim once, that happens when the batteries die enough to allow the KL4 to drop out if it's regulated mode. The next drop is "off".

I would suggest the E1L for edc, I also have a L4 but find the beam pattern of the KL1 to be a bit more versatile, with a longer run time. The QIII is a tough contender, not as cool as the Surefire, but gives it a good run in performance.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Sounds like fun, blackouts are what we live for! Seems as it was all under control, too, which is good at a school. Another vote for a KL1 or KL4 rather than incan, they do dim quite quickly. I think it's noticeable, but it's fast.

I'm having great fun with the Fenix right now, for the price, it's terrific! Also small and very pocketable, or almost weightless on your belt!

cheers
daloosh

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you're thinking of spending $40 on an Arc AAA, i definitely recommend you consider Peak's McKinley or Kilimanjaro-7.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix is super small and you can always find batteries. It's really bright, and so sexy!

Makarov

Enlightened
I'm really tempted by the Fenix, but when I saw a picture comparing the size of the JIL and a Keymate here I and the picture of the SOR I don't know anymore...

Maybe one of each? :broke: :shrug: :naughty:

danielo_d

Enlightened
Sounds cool!
My question is, why didn't the electrician have a flashlight?
:ohgeez: [jk]

Danno

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Makarov,

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy hearing these types of stories.

All My Best,
John

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I hope that the guy who accidentally cut the cable wasn't hurt. And congratulations for being well prepared and keeping your wits about you.

Makarov

Enlightened
danielo_d said:
My question is, why didn't the electrician have a flashlight?
:ohgeez: [jk]
That's what I thought as well, and the only thing he commented about the E2e was something like "good you got a flashlight"

Not an easy convert :shrug:

Latest posts