please help me set up wirelsss im closer now

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have 2 wireless card usb cards ok now i can file share between pc and laptop .finaly gave up on useing microsofts helper but now i wanna share the dial up coneection from my homepc to my laptop there both useing xpsp2 now .any advice

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: please help me set up wirelsss

what i want to do is set it up so i can go to lake and use laptop.i also have a wireslles router man i think somehow im messing up big time lol the pc will see the router though so does laptop do i even need the router?

kubolaw

Enlightened

Hi Raggie -

Setting up a wireless link is not that much different than setting up a wired network. If you want to connect directly from one computer to another (without going through a wireless router, which is referred to as an "ad hoc" setup), then you can think of it as being like connecting two computers directly using a crossover cable. Here is a reasonably good ad hoc guide

There are a number of good wireless setup guides available, although most are geared for using a wireless router (an "infrastructure" setup, similar to using an ethernet switch in a wired network), such as here

Just turn off all the security settings (WEP, WPA), and see if you can make the wireless link. Once that is up and running, you can start playing with the security features.

Good luck!

John

DarkLight

Enlightened

Make sure they are all on the same network NAME and channel and type..

You must enable file sharing on pcs...easiest to do is set one folder shared on each pc manually..

once pcs are seeing each other I turn on MAC address security myself....

only pcs with my MAC addresses are allowed on network...

You def need the wireless router..

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i just cant use the wireless adapters? i need the router to?man im so confused all i realy want to do is share my dail up conction from home pc to my laptop .man i cant belive i cantt figure it out

raggie33

*the raggedier*

ok i decided not to throw the router in lake

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o man i fianly got it to work but now my desktop said to many things changed and i have to reathcate again im so pissed im calling microsoft now to cuss em out they always do this to me its the same darn pc for petes sakes

raggie33

*the raggedier*
btw i got it to surf net thru desktop by checking check for ip automaticaly and also had dns set up automaticaly .can some one please expalin how to do this manuly i love to learn this stuff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
o man i fianly got it to work but now my desktop said to many things changed and i have to reathcate again im so pissed im calling microsoft now to cuss em out they always do this to me its the same darn pc for petes sakes

I trhink you have to reauthenticate with them whenever you change your mind.
:rolleyes:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man who ever i spoke on phone spoke very bad english .i felt bad but i told em they need to remedy this and told him how hard it is for me to type that long stuff and get it corect. told em ill go to linux for a while and perhaps change back someday .but truthfully ill go back tomrrow i have 3 days it said .this is like the 4th time this happend to me

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
How aggravating, Raggie. And you probably spoke to someone in India via an IP connection. Microsoft has a huge call center presence in India. Having to decipher a fireign accent on top oif the background hiss and echoes of an IP connection from halfway around the world makes for a difficult phone conversation.

DarkLight

Enlightened
Setting up a wireless network for dialup is like setting up a Billboard for a blind man though...

Wouldnt just be easier to dial in from whatever pc you are using?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah but this is a lapppy i kinda wanted to be complety wireless i had it working.till windows wanna me to re whatever they call it lol said i changed my hardware to muc.said hect with it installed fedora core .now im even mor lost.i cant even tell if it has driver for adpter for wireless usb adter