What battery do use in your AAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepless

Newly Enlightened
I've been following the forums for a couple years now, but this is my time posting...so go easy on me:)

I just received my AAA-P today (#1750) and I'm curious what battery other owners are using? Lithium, alkaline, or recharegeables? Is one preferred over others?

Thanks
-Sleepless

Last edited:

zoomin

Newly Enlightened
Sleepless, I use the supplied alkaline with my aaa-p. The Duracells give great run times and illumination, and are not that expensive. I do not know if there are lithium aaa's, they would give better all around performance than the alkalines but are traditionally more expensive. I do not use rechargebles, they do have multiple amperage ratings that may provide a higher light output. But, the issue of over-driving the LED may be significant with the higher rated rechargebles;I am a novice, I leave the issue of over-driving the LED to the more experienced members of CPF. Hope this info helps you out some.

simbad

Enlightened
I use lithiums because of the noticeable difference in weight, especially if you carry it around your neck.

mridude

Newly Enlightened
As I remember from the Arc Flashlight websites FAQs page they discuss this. They suggest any "alchy" battery will due as the Arc AAA will just suck it dry. It appears that if weight, general longevity and especially performance in severe cold, like 30 to 40 degrees below zero kinda cold, they suggest lithium.........for a significant increase in price. I have the same AAA alchy battery in my two year old Arc AAA P.....works fine, it's the one that came with it too.

kubolaw

Enlightened
Lithium aaa for me also, mainly due to the significantly decreased weight (and secondarily for the performance improvements).

John

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently I use the supplied Duracell AAA. When it finally runs down, I'll use another quality name-brand alkaline. If I plan on taking it hiking or camping in the cold (not likely) I'd go ahead and switch it out for an Energizer Lithium AAA.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey sleepless, welcome to CPF and why dontcha stay awhile!

I typically use a Rayovac alkaline AAA, but keep AAA lithiums handy around the house and in BOBs for that savings in weight and flatter output when needed. Funny, the one I use the most now gots a rechargeable N cell and one of Brock's N cell tails, it's on my keychain!

welcome again,
daloosh

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever decent price Alks I can find and I replace it when the time chnges in the fall, weather it need it or not (and it usually doesn't). For the cost of one Lithium I can get 10 years worth of Alkalines.

Sometimes for camping weekends I switch to a freshly charged NiMh.

-Dave

Last edited:

sleepless

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input. It looks pretty evenly divided. I don't mind the cost so much, I'm just trying to get the most light out of my little AAA. If it doesn't matter too much, I may stick with the alkalines. The lighter weight would be nice though...decisions...decisions:grin2:

It looks like I may have a new EDC, my L2 was a bit on the big side for my EDC needs.

I'm truly shocked how much light this little thing puts out.

-sleepless

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
lithium here too. Mostly for the reduced weight, it really does make a difference in your pocket. And since you wont have to change it for a couple of years anyway, the price doesn't really matter.

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
I use Energizer Lithium AAA's. I EDC my ARC AAA-P around my neck on a lanyard. With the Lithiums the weight is just right, and I know that there will be plenty of power when I need it the most. Also, welcome to CPF's, stay awhile and buy some lights while you're here.

Lights of Interest:

SL Propoly 4AA Luxeon(3), Fenix L1P v.2.5(2), ARC AAA-P(2), Ultra-G(2),
SF G2 w/BOG 3W DI(3), Inova T3(1), Pelican M6 w/BOG 3W DI(1),
Heliotek HTE-1 v.2(1), UK 4AA eLED(1), EL 3W AngleLux(2), XM-3(2), and last but not least Maglite 4C w/HD EverLED white(1).

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm carrying my usual earthquake-while-traveling bag with some spare batteries, I'll have a nearly-dead AAA battery in the flashlight, intending to squeeze the last juice out. (For example a battery that won't run a clock motor, still has a bit of life in it.)

If I'm not carrying anything but pocket/belt items, I'll use a lithium AAA.

Mattman

Enlightened
I say you can't go wrong with any battery choice. NiMH's are usually guilt free light, but it's not a necessity for me with a light that runs this long on a battery. Lithiums are nice and light, long lasting and perform well in the cold, but are expensive and not as readily available. Alkalines are long running, cheap and light enough for me. I used to use rechargeables, but I found higher-draw lights to use those in and now I'm happy with alkalines and a spare pack of lithiums for emergencies or potentially cold situations.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
sleepless said:
. . . I'm truly shocked how much light this little thing puts out.

-sleepless

Sleepless,

Yeah, I'm shocked, too. I've had one of the old Arc AAAs for a couple of years and have been most pleased with it. But today one of the new ones arrived in the mail for me. I like it much more -- brighter, smoother on-off functioning, better knurling . . . and, of course, very noticeably brighter!

Welcome to getting your feet wet on the boards. I hope we hear more from you in the future.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.