UltraStinger?

clp86rom

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am new to this forum and i do not know to much about lights. This forum seems really helpfull and with lots and lots of information about light. I am planning to search and learn lots and lots of things from this forum in the future, but for now since time is a issue i would like to receive some quick input on a flashlight.

Basically i want to purchase really soon the most powerfull flashlight out there. I was looking at this particular model (UltraStinger) and from what the discriptions say about it, it seems like a good powerfull flashlight. What do you guys think? Is there any other flashlight more powerfull than this one?

http://www.flashlights.com/ultrastinger.html

Thanks...
Regards,
Cristian

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are lots more poweful out there, but the Ultrastinger is a good all-around bright light.

A better option might be a Magcharger with a WA01160 bulb. Really bright, decent runtime, not too big, well made.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Are there more powerful ones? Yes, in incan. there's the Surefire M6 which, with an ultra high output lamp assembly, is 500 lumens compared to the Ultrastinger's 295(at most). They're totally different lights, though.

Are you looking for a rechargeable light? One run on disposable batteries? Will this be going in your car or in your pocket or where?

Oh, and if your quest is the brightest light money can buy be prepared to spend a lot of money.

Welcome to CPF.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
> the most powerfull flashlight out there.

Howdy. To narrow it down, you might want to think about how you will use the light. Carry it, keep it by the bed, in the car, use it 19 times a day or once a month, prefer a rechargeable or not, prefer the brightness of a filament bulb or the durability of an LED.

Nothing wrong with the UltraStinger if you end up going that route. Plenty bright, but far from the brightest one out there. See below the big one on the left (a Thor 15 million CP). Way brighter than an UltraStinger, and costs less, but big as a microwave oven. So it really depends on what you are after.

best regards

clp86rom

Newly Enlightened
okay...

thanks to everyone for all the good info and input.

let me just clarify some final touches…

i will be keeping this in the car specifically in the trunk mounted really nicely with brackets… and therefore I would like to buy a flashlight with the original kinda look to it just like the UltraStinger has because for that I can find brackets and mount it in the way I would like to. I mean any flashlight out there that looks in the same geometric designs in black I will like. I want it to be kinda long looking, I do not want anything small in size.

I will only use it when I will need it and this will not be so often. but I do want to have it incase.

It does not have to be rechargeable it can be regular batteries

I want to go with the brightness of a filament bulb rather then the led option.

So therefore with this final touches are there any other flashlight recommendations I should look at or should I stick with the ultrastinger.

I do believe the Surefire M6 is a really good flashlight and in this case even better then the ultrastinger as brightness goes but I am not to much a fan of the design.

I would prefer something like the ultrastinger and even the other recommendation Magcharger looks nice and I like it. I like classic looks.

clp86rom

Newly Enlightened
where would i be able to get the "Magcharger with a WA01160 bulb"?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you just buy a Magcharger light (made by Mag-lite) anywhere on the internet, then go to www.light-edge.com or elsewhere and buy a bi-pin WA1160 bulb. Stick the bulb in the Magcharger and thats it.

I think you should just get that UltraStinger. Thats what you want, after all. :)

best regards

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
The Ultrastinger is a good choice. I have never felt it was good for stow and forget. If you mount the charger and use it from there, it's a great light.

hburner

Enlightened
I have had an UltraStinger for about a year now and I love it. Of course the only light I owned before was a 3 D Mag. A far as mounting in the trunk for occasional use I would advise on going with the standard 10 hour charger. It draws a constant .2 amps from your car battery which is like a clock or alarm system. As long as you drive your every other day or so you would be fine with the battery aspect. At 75,000 CP the Ultra is a kick but "just in case" light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I personally consider the TigerLight (8" FBOP version) to be a significantly better flashlight than the UltraStinger is. They are pretty much at the extremes of flashlight design and I strongly prefer the design features at the TigerLight end.

US is long and thin
TL is short and fat

US is slippery
TL is textured

US has a beam that can be easily defocused by simply rotating the bezel.
TL is fixed focus

US switch is difficult to locate and at the wrong end of the body.
TL switch is also difficult to locate but at least it's at the right end of the body.

US charger only weakly retains the flashlight
TL charger securely retains the flashlight

US beam isn't as strong, nor as artifact-free as the TL

Bottomline:
UltraStinger - waste of £100 - wish I hadn't purchased it.
TigerLight - great flashlight for £100 - glad I purchased it.

Al

hburner

Enlightened
Do you have a pic of the Tiger light? I would like to check it out. What is the rated CP and Lumens? Thanks, hburner

oklalawman

Enlightened
Tigerlight vs Us
Tl is fatter and harder to hold with smaller hands or when trying to hold something else in same hand

Us can be focused to a nice tight beam when necessary the Tl can not.
The US will out throw a Tl and give you a nice tight beam. Th tl is a flood light.

The Tl is a pain to put in its charger. It has to be allligned perferfectly. It is very secure. I have had a stinger in my 4 wheel drive pickup for years and it never came out.

Switch is at wrong end?? According to who. I have used the Stinger series for years it is not a problem. It may be I am more familiar with it but I like its location better than the Tl. Not that the TL is unworkable by any means.

I own several of both. Both are good lights. The TL just does not have enough throw. For in an urban area it is not bad. But my wife the other night
said she wanted me to bring the old light (a sitinger with the us bulb) back in the housse cause that TL could not light up far enough..........

Size15's

Flashaholic
oklalawman said:
Tigerlight vs Us
Tl is fatter and harder to hold with smaller hands or when trying to hold something else in same hand
I guess I don't have small hands - I'm obviously giving my opinion of the two based on having my own hands. I've never had to hold something else in addition to a flashlight. If this is an issue I agree a thinner flashlight may be more appropriate.

oklalawman said:
The US will out throw a Tl and give you a nice tight beam. Th tl is a flood light.
That must be your TL lamp (or perhaps TL now-a-days). The TL I have has greater throw then my US.

oklalawman said:
The Tl is a pain to put in its charger. It has to be allligned perferfectly. It is very secure. I have had a stinger in my 4 wheel drive pickup for years and it never came out.
The US also has to be alligned perfectly and is in my experience a lot more easy to accidently knock off it's required charging orientation.

oklalawman said:
Switch is at wrong end?? According to who. I have used the Stinger series for years it is not a problem. It may be I am more familiar with it but I like its location better than the Tl. Not that the TL is unworkable by any means.
According to whom? According to me - I was posting my opinion.
It's based on being extremely used to SureFires which tend to have the switch at the end of the flashlight body ("TailCap"). I'm used to hold flashlights in ways that mean I can make use of "TailCap" switches, and I'm also used to not having to search for the switch because it's on the end. Both the US and TL make me have to correctly orientate the flashlight in order to use the switch. I don't like having to do that.

oklalawman said:
I own several of both. Both are good lights. The TL just does not have enough throw. For in an urban area it is not bad. But my wife the other night said she wanted me to bring the old light (a sitinger with the us bulb) back in the housse cause that TL could not light up far enough...
I didn't realise that the TL lamp had changed from what I know to a more "flood" type beam. If this is the case then the TL would indeed have the edge with regards to throw.

Al

hburner

Enlightened
Nice lineup! What is the last flashlight in the last photo beside the US? The black one. Thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
hburner said:
Nice lineup! What is the last flashlight in the last photo beside the US? The black one. Thanks

It's a SureFire 12PM Tactical Entry Light. It use the N62 500Lu/12min Lamp Assembly.

SureFire evolved the 12PM into the M4 when it created it's Millennium Series.

Al

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
oklalawman said:
Tigerlight vs Us

I own several of both. Both are good lights. The TL just does not have enough throw. For in an urban area it is not bad. But my wife the other night
said she wanted me to bring the old light (a sitinger with the us bulb) back in the housse cause that TL could not light up far enough..........

I agree completely Plus In my opinion the TL is kind of crudly made compared to the US. My US totaly outthrows the TL and has the button in just the right place (everyone has there own ideas which is a better light) for me it's the US all the way

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not going to be using it that often, it might be a good idea to get one based on lithium primaries (CR123). The UltraStinger and the Magcharger are both NiMH based, which means that, by nature, they will self discharge at a greater rate than other battery chemistries. How do you like the Surefire M3 and M4, they are both CR123 based and will be ready to use in 6 months or 6 years? I would think that there is also a mount available for them.