Looking for a Red LED upgrade for my Mini Maglite - Need help

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'm looking for a red LED upgrade for my Mini Maglite, but I'm not having much luck finding one. I saw one a year or so ago on here, but I can't seem to find it now. I'm aware of the filters, but I'd rather have the red LED. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

wwglen

Enlightened
I had a Minimag that I ran a red LED in. The red LED had a forward voltage of around 1.8V. This is too low for new Alaline AA's and they will burn out really quick.

I ONLY use it with almost DEAD batteries. Two batteries that are around .9V each was perfect and had a VERY LONG run time.

wwglen

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much light do you need. A red LUX I will run nicely off of 2xAA's but the light will need a bit of modding. If you only need 1 red LED worth of light, a resistored spacer would work. I just made one for a fellow CPF'er, it fits between the 2 batteries and drops the current to around 20mA or so.

Jeff

LEDAddict

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to do the same thing.

I recently bought one of the NiteIze LED modules from Walmart. They actually work pretty well. I haven't looked at it in detail yet, but it may be possible to swap out the white LEDs for some red ones.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have BUNCHES of decientally bright RED LED's (originally for 3rd tail-light assemblies). I would be willing to send some out to anyone interested in trying RED upgrades. I'll do bunches of 10-20 or so, all I would ask is $1 or so to cover the mailer and postage. PM me if you are interested.

Jeff

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
I'm looking for a red LED upgrade for my Mini Maglite, but I'm not having much luck finding one. I saw one a year or so ago on here, but I can't seem to find it now. I'm aware of the filters, but I'd rather have the red LED. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

If getting another light isn't totally out of the question, i'd highly recomend an Inova X5 with red LEDs. You'll get not only a change in bulb type and beam color, but also more runtime and a LOT more output power than ANY ordinary mini-mag upgrade. Not to mention the extras: better aluminum type than any Mag, HA-III finish, waterproof to diving standards, stainless steel bezel ring, tactical switch and an included holster.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Certainly not, I've been considering an Inova X5 in Red for a long time, but I didn't want to throw away my Maglite either. I sort of realized halfway through the thread though that buying an inferior $20-$30 upgrade doesn't make much sense when I can get an X5 for that.

So I've just decided to try and do a cheap LED upgrade for the Maglite, I'd like to turn it into a long running Red LED light for a couple dollars. IMO it's near worthless with the stock inc. bulb. I also have a micro AAA maglite that could use some type of LED to make it at least useable as a maplight. :D

InfidelCastro

Banned
WildRice said:
I have BUNCHES of decientally bright RED LED's (originally for 3rd tail-light assemblies). I would be willing to send some out to anyone interested in trying RED upgrades. I'll do bunches of 10-20 or so, all I would ask is $1 or so to cover the mailer and postage. PM me if you are interested.

Jeff

That's very nice of you WildRice. I'm not real savvy with electronics yet though. I'm a first year electronics student. Do you have any advice or instructions how to make a resistored spacer? Or what the voltage drop is for these LEDs? I do have some resistors.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sent out some 3mm LED to a fellow CPF'er and a resistored spaced. Unfortunately there is no spac e between the batteries and it broke apart when he installed it. I am going to see if something can be easily built to fit in the spare bulb holder that would have a resistor and spring.

The voltage drop is about 2.2v or so. Thes 5mm RED LEDs I have run right off the 2xAA batts, but it draws about 75mA and gets really warm, but the LEDs hold up pretty well.

When I get done with the resistored tail mod, I can start a thread on how to do it and how to mod a regular LED to work in a MM.

Jeff

InfidelCastro

Banned
So the 5mm run right off the 2AA's with no mods? That's pretty cool. How much light do you get? Have you tried any mods to the micro AAA maglite?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
my two EDC's are a silver 2xAA MM, but with a 3.6v Li-ION (AA sized 14500), a resistored spacer (AA sized) and a cut down 35Kmcd white. The other is a solitare with a tail pushbutton installed, a 3.6v Li-ION battery (i love rechargables) and 3x 35Kmcds in the front. it pulls 60mA and the cell is 320mAh, so roughly 5hrs of use, and nicely bright. I have found some greens, blues and whites that will run at about 50% power on 3.0v. These are great for the kids, camping, and in the glovebox.

Jeff

LEDAddict

Newly Enlightened
re: the NiteIze upgrade. This uses a voltage boost circuit, so it would not be a good idea to install red LED's instead of the white ones.

The high output red LED Kingbright X-Brite W7113SEC/H from Mouser, rated at 10,000 mcd, has a Vmax of 2.8 volts, which would work with 2xAA NiMH's, but would be over max rating with alkaline.

The Vishay 78-TLCR5800 looks interesting. 20,000 mcd, 8 degree illumination angle, Vmax 2.7, but the wavelength is a bit short at 616 nm typ.

Radio Shack has high intensity 5mm red LEDs, 3,000 mcd rated at 2.4 Vmax. Again, it may work with 2xAA NiMH's but would be really overpowered with fresh alkalines.

All of these are T 1 3/4 packages. The focus ability won't work with most LED's anyway, as they will project light out in a beam rather than to the sides like the standard bulb.

I'd like to try the Kingbright, but it isn't worth paying shipping for just one LED. Maybe I'll try local electronics suppliers.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
616nm is a very orange red color. A good reference is that the gool olde HeNe tube LASER is 632.2nm (IIRC), and that is already starting to look orangy. I will check some resistor values later and post them tomorrow.

Jeff

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'm looking for Red to preserve nightvision so I definately want the wavelength to be longer. I don't want an orangish tint.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just mentioned this in another thread about a red LED light; the Gerber Trio can be had with 3 red LEDs for about $20-$30. The output is good and the LEDs are a nice rich red- not red/orange. This could be a good option for you since the size of the light is similar to a minimag and they both take 2 AA batteries. Build quality is quite nice for the price as well.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
No prob. I used my Trio to make a homemade dark side lightsaber for the premier of Episode III. Yes, I'm a dork- but you should of seen everybody else :D.