KL4 on a vital gear body

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing original about this really. But I need to comment.
Today I received a Vital gear 1 cell body.
I stuck my KL4 on there. I then had the same light as the KL4+ E1 + clicky combo.
The thing is this. I can now stand the light on it's tail and the only thing I loose is about a 1/2 inch of overall length.
That is cool.
The Vital Gear stuff is nice.

Yaesumofo
DSCN7591smcr.jpg

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 and FB1 is 3.33 inches
the kl4 balrog and clicky from bezel to top of the rubber is 3.826 Inches.
Almost a .5 inch difference.
Yaesumofo

FredM said:
How about some specifics to how much length you lost with the FB1?

Got a good scale?

Last edited:

FredM

Enlightened
yaesumofo said:
The KL3 and FB1 is 3.33 inches
the kl4 balrog and clicky from bezel to top of the rubber is 3.826 Inches.
Almost a .5 inch difference.
Yaesumofo

You mean KL4 right? Not KL3?

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I first received my FB1 a couple of weeks ago, along with the KL1 I had ordered to go with it. The KL1 is a very nice head, but too spot for my needs...I prefer spill, and some throw if I can get it.

The KL4 came to the rescue. I switched last week and have been using this combo a lot! It's small...(as previously stated, 3.3"), and IT IS BRIGHT! True to it's reputation, the KL4 is a friggin' wall of light! And all of that out of this rather tiny, 1x123 form factor.

You gotta use a R123...the 5 watt KL4 demands that. And the run times are understandably short (I for one have no problem slipping a spare R123 in my pocket when I leave the house).

And I found the perfect holster! It's a leather sheath for the Leatherman Juice (sold separately). Couldn't ask for a more perfect fit...and it's got a nice snap flap. And when my arm drops to my side nobody even notices that I'm wearing a (powerful) flashlight on my belt. ;)

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
Do the clip screws affect the stability of this light in candle mode, i.e. do the screws protrude past the end of the light? Also does the clip itself fit tight against the body or is there a bit of a gap as I've noticed in a few pics? I've got one of these bodies on the way from Lighthound for my KL4, and after reading all these glowing reports on this combo the anticipation is killing me.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The screws protrude above the tips of the "crown" and do cause a tilt in candle mode. They could have corrected this by lowering the screw holes by about 1 mm or the screw heads could be made (turned down )smaller. Or probably the best solution for me will be to remove the clip.

The clip dosen't touch the body. It has a nice high pitch when plucked with a nice decay. That is good.
I am not a big fan of clips. This one is ok. The cilp on my McLUXIIIPD has the best clip that I have on a flashlight.
yaesumofo

Jayman said:
Do the clip screws affect the stability of this light in candle mode, i.e. do the screws protrude past the end of the light? Also does the clip itself fit tight against the body or is there a bit of a gap as I've noticed in a few pics? I've got one of these bodies on the way from Lighthound for my KL4, and after reading all these glowing reports on this combo the anticipation is killing me.

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info yaesumofo. One more question, was wondering if the clip is bare stainless or is it blackened?

widgnwhacker

Newly Enlightened
I have a KL-1 on my VG-FB1 and love it. I use it as a duty light while at the Firehouse. I love the throw and it is really easy just to carry in your pocket. I might have to try the KL-4 and see the difference as a flood type light.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
hum... looks cool! I bet that sucker gets HOT! =)... can ya give us a beamshot and a review on how you like the light?

I wouldn't say that lossing a little length is a bad thing :)... thanks for sharing!

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I own a FB1 body (using with a KL4), and I recently purchased a F2 light (FB2 with a F2 head) currently loaded with a P61 drop-in. And I have another F2 head on the way, which I intend to use with a P91 module, attached to a L4 body. I'm sure there will be times when I'll swap heads and put the P91 loaded F2 onto the FB2, which is shorter than the Surefire L4 body. And unlike the L4 body, the FB2 can stand in candle mode).

...so needless-to-say, I too am curious to hear why you "beg to differ"...

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
goldserve said:
May I ask why?
2 of my last three bodies have malfunctioned, they had resistance. They also flickered. If you want to test yours, get a old set of batteries, put it in, then turn it on. After that, get a piece of metal (I use the clip) and touch the battery tube and the battery with it, this should activate the light. If they are the same brightness, than it is fine... mine were'nt. So then I got an old version (my current one), and I had to replace the O-ring to get it to work, and now I cant tighten it all the way or it does'nt work.

And I conclude that these things are POS's.

-David

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also dig the VG stuff especially since all my EDC's are 1x123's size. I have had no trouble either with VG's other other then adjusting the cap and blades for differnt heads. I see this as a plus since you can pick a fine point in momentary or on.(there are many threads to tuning the VG) I just metered both found no diff between a E1e and VG (a bit higher in E1e but very negligible )
I love the stand tail, and smaller size, i don't ever see going back to SF bodies in 1x123 format.VDG