Are all INOVAS already GT (Guaranteed Tint) straight from the factory?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about that, because from all Inovas i have seen so far, have all being GT, with very slightly variation between the X series and T series.

The X (minus the non-luxeon models) series seem to have perfect snow white beams, while the T series are inclining a little bit to the bluish color spectre. I know some people prefer warmer tones of color (more yellowish), but if by the 'GT' definition, "snow white" tint is implied, then all luxeon Inovas are GT. I guess the HDS system uses a slightly different tint classification (as stated in their FAQ), or do they also mean that GT is perfect white, not warmer as in incans? P

Why do you all think about this? Please, correct if i'm wrong... This just my ignorant guess, not an ubber scientific or academic research. Please also share your previous experiences with these two brands of lights, compare their tints:

P.S- I have never seen an unacceptable neither a mildly undesirable tint from a luxeon light, that's why i'm bit consufed by this whole GT concept.

Cheers.:buddies:

Last edited:

steve_vance

Enlightened
I'm a little confused: where did you get this "GT" idea? I can't find any reference to Inova guaranteeing tint in any of their literature or anything they publish. I have been buying and using Inova lights for several years, and talk regularly with them....I don't believe they guarantee tint. In fact I'm sure of it. You might have gotten some wrong information somewhere along the line.
This doesn't mean that Inova lights aren't white....every one I've seen is pure white. Recently, when they introduced the Radiant series, they made a production decision to use "warm white" in that series, since they are "mass market" lights, and more likely than the other Inova lights to be used by someone who is most accustomed to the (relatively more yellow) light of incandescent lights.

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
My T4 is slighty yellowish, or possibly yellow-green. I'm the only one who seems to think it has a hint of green though, out of about ten people comparing it to other Luxeons. Most people think it's slight yellow.

I suppose all manufacturers would claim good tint if asked. I only know of one that actively market them or make them available, other than some CPF members who do lights, and that's HDS. I could be wrong about that, but from what I've seen, it's a short list indeed.

As to what HDS means by GT, it's on their site better than I could ever explain it. Look at a Lux Bin Chart and check out the PBB on them. Most people describe the GT as "warmer white", from what I've read.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
steve_vance said:
I'm a little confused: where did you get this "GT" idea? I can't find any reference to Inova guaranteeing tint in any of their literature or anything they publish. I have been buying and using Inova lights for several years, and talk regularly with them....I don't believe they guarantee tint. In fact I'm sure of it. You might have gotten some wrong information somewhere along the line.
This doesn't mean that Inova lights aren't white....every one I've seen is pure white. Recently, when they introduced the Radiant series, they made a production decision to use "warm white" in that series, since they are "mass market" lights, and more likely than the other Inova lights to be used by someone who is most accustomed to the (relatively more yellow) light of incandescent lights.

I have never stated that Inova published or made any claims about their products being "GT".

I was merely pointing out my personal experiences with this brand of lights, so i'm just sharing it with the community, i'd like to know what are your experiences ragarding tints found in different brands of lights, but especially i'm interest to know why do most Inovas seem to come GT from the factory(not that they say this), since there are other manufacturers out there charging for hand-picked "GT models". I'd like to know if there is really a drastic difference in tints on Luxeon lights.

With that said, i can assume that Inova POSSIBLY select the good ones and hold the bad tinted lights prior to their release in the market. They gotta have some sort of tint quality control, they just don't advertise it like others do, that's what i believe.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchMan said:
My T4 is slighty yellowish, or possibly yellow-green. I'm the only one who seems to think it has a hint of green though, out of about ten people comparing it to other Luxeons. Most people think it's slight yellow.

I suppose all manufacturers would claim good tint if asked. I only know of one that actively market them or make them available, other than some CPF members who do lights, and that's HDS. I could be wrong about that, but from what I've seen, it's a short list indeed.

As to what HDS means by GT, it's on their site better than I could ever explain it. Look at a Lux Bin Chart and check out the PBB on them. Most people describe the GT as "warmer white", from what I've read.

Do you own or have compared your T4 with any luxeon light of the X series?

notrefined

Enlightened
steve_vance said:
Recently, when they introduced the Radiant series, they made a production decision to use "warm white" in that series, since they are "mass market" lights, and more likely than the other Inova lights to be used by someone who is most accustomed to the (relatively more yellow) light of incandescent lights.

do the radiant series actually use warm white Lux I's?

TorchMan

Enlightened
No, I have not compared it with any other Inova. Comparisons are to HDS U60 (slight bluish beam on high, still much whiter than "white" 5mm LEDS). Night Ops Gladius (the whitest of my Luxs, I call it "divine white") SF U2 (Also very white, second whitest) and please note these are for high setting(s).

Although it has the most color tint on high, the U60 is whitest of all adjustables on low. U2 is in between on lower settings, it has trace of green. Gladius goes green on low tint. All are still white to me on low settings.

I've no real issues with tint on any of my lights. I do like that HDS offers the option though. He's done the cherry picking, and it's something you have to pay for. Would any other manufacturers even let you do that? SF and NightOps both make mention of white beams (I suspect every maker will tell you that it's "white",) and my two examples bear that out. From reading here though, it's still a Luxeon Lotto with most any manufacturer. That's the nature of the LED, even within bins and batches there can be variation.

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My T2/T3/T4 are nice and white
My T1 is a bit greenish when compared to the other T series.

My X5 is very blue

My replacement Gladius is scary white even when dimmed.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
madecov said:
My T2/T3/T4 are nice and white
My T1 is a bit greenish when compared to the other T series.

My X5 is very blue

My replacement Gladius is scary white even when dimmed.
The X5 is not a Luxeon light, so it's not fair to compare it with the others.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received two new T4's one for myself and the other was a Christmas present, both of them have the yuckiest green beam I have ever seen :sick2: Other than tint I like the lights but I can't live with them so both are going back to the dealer for a refund and I'm going to look for something else :shakehead:

Later
Kelly

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish all Flashlight manufactures could Guarantee their tint,
no more having to return Dud flashlights

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried and owned Inova's, none had a white tint, always blue or purple and just really bad. I love the light's but just seem to have never had one
that I liked. VDG

Latest posts