Arc-AAA Premium vs. Photon freedom x2

sleidig1

Newly Enlightened
Which of the following is brighter/more throw?

Arc-AAA Premium or Photon freedom x2

I found a listing showing that the Arc-AAA Premium is rated as 5.5 lumen with 5 hours to 50% brightness.

But I can't find a lumen rating for the Photon freedom x2

Thanks in advance.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the Arc has a reflector to catch and re-use the wasted side light from the LED which turns it into nice useable side spill that will light up a whole room. The hotspot will blend into the spill at distance and you have a "wall" of light sort to say. Other than that, the throw will be the same most likely but the Arc will be brighter longer due to the boost circuit and larger capacity battery.

MVB

Newly Enlightened
sleidig1 said:
Which of the following is brighter/more throw?

Arc-AAA Premium or Photon freedom x2

I found a listing showing that the Arc-AAA Premium is rated as 5.5 lumen with 5 hours to 50% brightness.

But I can't find a lumen rating for the Photon freedom x2

Thanks in advance.
I only have the Photon Freedon x2 at the moment (my ARC-P is in the mail), so I can't do a direct compare.

Using the numbers at flashlightreviews.com it would seem that if the x2 really is twice as bright as the original then it will slightly out throw the ARC-P, with slightly less overall output. (But I tend not to trust manufacturer's claims, and suspect that it's more like 1.5 times as bright...) And that's on fresh batteries...

But you are comparing two very different lights, even though they both qualify as "keychain" lights.

The ARC will last forever, can use cheap batteries, is waterproof, and will not turn on accidentally in your pocket.

The Photon is plastic / not waterproof, uses pricier batteries, will turn on accidentally in your pocket, and has some really cool special features like dimming and flashing.

So, "which is brighter" might not be the best first question to ask. First you should ask yourself what you are going to use the light for, and how are you going to carry it.

I really like my Photon Freedom x2, but I don't EDC it. It does cost less than the ARC, but the batteries cost more and won't last as long, so "feeding" costs will be higher.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to an Arc that somehow incorportates a microprocessor control- heck, just a 2 stage (twist a little for low, more for high) would be nice).

No single 5mm light is going to be a throw monster but since you asked the question, the Arc is brighter and will remain so for much longer due to its larger capacity battery.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
when do you expect to get your ARC AAA-P? I'd like to see a direct comparision by you... Thanks!

MVB said:
I only have the Photon Freedon x2 at the moment (my ARC-P is in the mail), so I can't do a direct compare.

Using the numbers at flashlightreviews.com it would seem that if the x2 really is twice as bright as the original then it will slightly out throw the ARC-P, with slightly less overall output. (But I tend not to trust manufacturer's claims, and suspect that it's more like 1.5 times as bright...) And that's on fresh batteries...

But you are comparing two very different lights, even though they both qualify as "keychain" lights.

The ARC will last forever, can use cheap batteries, is waterproof, and will not turn on accidentally in your pocket.

The Photon is plastic / not waterproof, uses pricier batteries, will turn on accidentally in your pocket, and has some really cool special features like dimming and flashing.

So, "which is brighter" might not be the best first question to ask. First you should ask yourself what you are going to use the light for, and how are you going to carry it.

I really like my Photon Freedom x2, but I don't EDC it. It does cost less than the ARC, but the batteries cost more and won't last as long, so "feeding" costs will be higher.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
MVB said:

Have you had a problem with the Photon accidentally turning on in your pocket? I've EDCed a Photon MicroLight III for about a year now and have had no such problem.

sleidig1

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 Photon Freedom x2s, one on my key ring & one on a lanyard in my front pocket.
I have only once had the pocket light turn on & that was because I put a bunch of other stuff in the same pocket.
I now only have my knife clipped to the edge of the pocket & the light in the bottom of the pocket.

I used to have a Arc-AAA Premium a few years ago, and loved the quality & the cheap & easily aquired batteries, but it was hard to justify the added weight & bulk to my keyring over the photon II I used to carry.
I foolishly traded the arc, but am very tempted to buy the improved model.

Both the Photon freedom x2 & the new Arc-AAA Premium have been improved with their output, I just want to make sure that a $40.00 investment in a arc will give me more light output.

I don't use my lights as much as I would like, I have had the original batteries in my photons & in my Inova x5 & my infinity ultra.

I only use the lights as needed, a minute or three at a time, then I want it as bright as possible with the least bulk/hassle as possible, so cost of battery is not the first priority, but I do like the ease of battery change with the arc - I can do it with my eyes closed.

Last edited:

txmatt

Enlightened
I have both the Arc AAAPv4 and Freedom 2x. The Arc is a bit brighter than the Photon with a larger hot spot and spill as I recall. I have a pic up with both compared to a CMG Infinity Ultra but don't remember the url. I'll try to remember to post it when I get home.

I carry the Photon on my keychain and wouldn't want anything larger on there. It's great for it's purpose. I have had mine turn on once while in my pocket as well.

I think the new Arc AAA is much more useful than the Photon. Despite it's size, it emits a generous amount of light over a broad area, making it suitable for walking and even hiking. Some people don't like the tint, I'm fine with it.

Matt

txmatt

Enlightened
In both pictures below, from left to right, are the Arc-P AAAv4 with stock alkaline battery (lithium makes it a bit brighter), Photon Freedom 2x straight from package with demo mode turned off, and a CMG Infinity Ultra with lithium AA. The only difference in the 2 pics is the second one is underexposed a bit more...

arccomp2.jpg

arccomp.jpg

Hope this helps,
Matt

sleidig1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all your help, now I have to buy one.

one last question, how does the Arc-P AAAv4 compare to the Peak aaa lights?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
CRAP!!:rolleyes:--Now I'm gonna hafta get one too!!:ohgeez:

I have been considering the Arc P for several weeks now and because of those beamshots, I gotta get one- thanks alot, TXmatt!:)

I've been EDCing my Inova Microlight and have had it come on a few times in my pocket- who knows how many times it came on and then shut off automatically after the 4 minute limit. I'd rather have a light in my pocket that will never come on accidentally and takes more readily available and less expensive batteries.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
how does the Arc-P AAAv4 compare to the Peak aaa lights?>>>>>

I bit the bullet and ordered a High Output AAA/3LED pocket model from Peak.

It simply obliterates any one LED light I have (Arc std., Infinity Ultra, Dorcy AAA, Photon). Also absolutely WHITE, unlike all the nichias.

A LARGE improvement.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnK said:

It simply obliterates any one LED light I have (Arc std., Infinity Ultra, Dorcy AAA, Photon). Also absolutely WHITE, unlike all the nichias.

A LARGE improvement.

Which Peak aaa/3LED exactly did you get? Or is there only one model?

NotASolder

Newly Enlightened
JohnK said:

A LARGE improvement.

I think the CPF consensus is that the $40 Arc is brighter than the newest, super-duper, recently upgraded snow white Peak! :shrug:

The output numbers from the review sites seem to confirm this.

In "the other forum" there's a photo that shows the new Peak being closer to an Infinity Ultra than an Arc in apparent brightness.

So the Peak appears to be more of a high priced/AAA version of the CMG Infinity than an ARC competitor.

Peak on left, Infinity Ultra on right (pic 'borrowed' from post by edr on the other forum).

710732-Peak%20vs%20Ultra%20fresh%20batts.jpg

I don't own ANY of the above mentioned lights (well, the $15 Peak aka Gerber Ultra is in the mail from batterystation), all info gathered from the usual suspects.

No idea how the 3 LED fares. Any pics? :candle:

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
sleidig1 said:
...used to have a Arc-AAA Premium a few years ago...tempted to buy the improved model....just want to make sure that a $40.00 investment in a arc will give me more light output...
I've got a new Arc IIIP. It's a beautifully made light, but I wouldn't suggest you get one.

You've already got a Photon. IMO there's too much overlap in capability with the Arc IIIP. The new Arc is brighter, but it's still a 5mm LED.

I'd suggest getting a Fenix L1P. Runs on one AA, and output is simply in another class.

If you want a true keychain size light, consider the Jil CR2 1.3W, Orb Raw, Wee Raw, or upcoming CR2 ION. Yes they are more expensive, but output is just vastly beyond any 5mm LED light.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
to be perfectly frank the NEW arcAAA P or not is overpriced and over hyped.

Yes it is nicely built heavy duty light. The light it produces is not up to par with the package. Who cares if a tank could drive over a flashlight and have it still work if he beam is crappy blue/purple and dim to begin with?
The new versions of the photon little freedom 2 in whits flashlights the beam just in color alone kicks the ARC AAA out of the park.
In terns of value sure the arc AAA will last I have one on my key chain right now it has been there since I got it close to 2 years ago yes it works buy it still has a terrible beam in my opinion and is blue/purple. Hey arc how about a AAA light which produces a WHITE beam like the photon?

My arc AAA is my last chance light I use it only when I absolutely have no choice.

You have better choices available to you and at more reasonable prices.
ARC in the past have made some terrific lights I support peter in his effort to get going again. Without Peter we would still be in the dark ages of LED flashlights to be sure. The fact remains that the current line of product is simply not up to par with current available products. It is too expensive.
Unfortunately for ARC and some other light makers the reality is that ASIAN manufactures can make these lights for less money and definitely have the ability to produce a VERY High quality product. The Jill lights come to mind. so does the fenix L1P ($30.00 and this light has a beam that rivals my $250.00 KI LE. several shots have been fired over the bow of US manufactures one is called the fenix L1p there are others as well. Time to wake up guys start making stuff that the market wants a a reasonable price. The ARC AAA is a dim light. it is an expensive light. Unless some changes are made ARC will not be able to compete with ASIAN companies about (about?)to flood the market with good quality well designed lights. For far less than we can do it here.
I am telling you guys wait 6 months there are dozens of companies working overtime to create lights around the new K2 emitters. These will be less expensive brighter and more efficient to run. We as buyers will have lots of choices. Many from the far east.
Yaesumofo

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
I am telling you guys wait 6 months
Yaesumofo

Are you kidding?!:huh2: Flashaholics wait 6 months?!:shakehead NO WAY!! Not possible. Not in my vocabulary- (except for the purpose of this post).:grin2:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
Unfortunately for ARC and some other light makers the reality is that ASIAN manufactures can make these lights for less money and definitely have the ability to produce a VERY High quality product.
Yaesumofo

Amen to that, brother!!