Glock Light....performance?

FredM

Enlightened
I have had a Glock light for my GFs house gun for a while now and it has seemed kinda anemic.

Anyone know the official specs for lumen output or runtime? It takes 2 cr123s

Here is a pic.

e17de644.jpg

Malpaso

Enlightened
FredM said:
I have had a Glock light for my GFs house gun for a while now and it has seemed kinda anemic.

That's because it's not a .45 ;-)

FredM

Enlightened
Malpaso said:
That's because it's not a .45 ;-)
If the 16 rds of Ranger 127gr +P+ tickle, then I have much bigger problems then needing an outdated, oversized, underachieving, overhyped, underpowed 45.

Basically what Im saying is I will go to this one.

Pic removed for Bandwidth. And to keep subject on GlockLight.

Anyone know how it compares to a X200B?

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
Don't forget to load it first. :D

Ahh 9mm, .45 set to stun. :D

Just kidding. I am in the shot placement and software over hardware camp.

The Glock lights I have played with seemed to be reasonably bright for a weaponlight.

Malpaso

Enlightened
FredM said:
Basically what Im saying is I will go to this one.

LOL! That'll work! Of course, you can easily find a .223/.308 discussion as fast as a 9mm/.40/.45/.357 one.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
.45 for me if SHTF. Something about not allowing the use of hollow points under the Geneva Convetions (or something along those lines, FMJ's for me.) Heck if I run through the 30 rounds in the M16 and the enemy is still alive something is wrong, LOL. Well something will be wrong if one has to reach for the secondary weapon.....

Is that a factory Glock light? I wasn't aware Glock made lights for their guns. I know Surefire and Streamlight have lights for the Glock pistols. Another possibility is obtaining a new lamp assembly and cleaning the contacts? Maybe have an excuse to get a Streamlight/Insight Technology M3 light for the Glock.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that the Glock GTL10, there's a review of it here which suggests its battery life is somewhat shorter than the X200, as the same batteries which wouldn't power the Glock still worked fine in the X200. From what I've seen on store sites, the claimed output rating is around 90 lumens.

FredM

Enlightened
Thanks Haesslich and Unicorn. 60 lumens seems largely overrated frankly. The light PALES in comparison even to my Scorpion. Hmmm...maybe its time to try some new batteries.

Does the guy that runs Flashlight reviews accept lights for consideration and return them? I would be interested to see the lux results.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
FredM said:
Does the guy that runs Flashlight reviews accept lights for consideration and return them? I would be interested to see the lux results.

According to the FAQ on the subject, he does not. I suspect that the '90 lumens' claim is significantly overblown, and its battery life didn't seem to impressive in the above review.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one for awhile and sold it. I didn't like the beam quality (could have used a textured reflector) and nobody makes a decent duty holster for it. I like the idea of a handgun mounted light, but I think we need a complete system (light and holster working together) before this becomes viable. I'd also like to see a good LED rather then an incandescent bulb.

FredM

Enlightened
Yep which is why this is house gun.

I use my EDC for a tactical light. Limited holster availability is one reason. The other is why carry one tactical weapon light then carry ANOTHER light? One light can do both jobs fine.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
At a Glock school, an un named Glock rep stated that thier light may not be the best. Shocking. But true. It works though.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire X200b would be my choice. IIRC it's a reflectored Lux V similar to the L4 head. The X200a is the Lux III with the optic that throws well but has little side spill. In a house I'd rather have spill than throw. Also I believe there are a number of vendors for holsters for a Glock and X200.

-LT

FredM

Enlightened
Yeah Surefire would be ideal but I already have the Glock Light and as i prefer my lights to be unattached to my carry weapon won't be buying a X200B anytime soon.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
FredM said:
I was gonna use it as a basis of comparison

The review I linked indicates that the GTL10 has a wider beam, but the X200 is brighter within the hotspot... though, to judge by the beam pattern, they had an X200A for the Sniperworld review, rather than the X200B.

FredM

Enlightened
Haesslich said:
The review I linked indicates that the GTL10 has a wider beam, but the X200 is brighter within the hotspot... though, to judge by the beam pattern, they had an X200A for the Sniperworld review, rather than the X200B.

Yeah I noticed that. Thanks for that link BTW.

I am gonna load up the light with fresh cells and see how it compares to scorpion close up. I remember it was nowhere close in output but I have never checked the batteries and have really never messed with the light except shooting with it on once (real dirty, real fast)

Only got curious recently when the hurricane came and I checked it to see which batteries it takes to make sure I had some. Was quite impressed with the O Ring sealing and that it used CR123s.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure that the X200 A uses a Lux III, not a Lux V. It has an interesting optic which projects a diamond shape - pretty narrow beam.

Not sure about the B version, but given the similar battery life, I think it is a Lux III as well, IIRC.

I am actually building up a 2 x CR2 version with U bin or K2 for my own use. Still a bit to go - there is a thread on it in the home made section if you are interested. At some point, I might need some testers to put some rounds on it before it goes out for general use.

The challenge for all of these short body lights is in the optics area - it is quite challenging to replace the 25 mm (1 inch) reflectors of a "normal light" and make them small, short, and perform. I spent the last 9 months on this challenge before obtaining really reasonable beams.