Surefire don't want my money.......

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
I just called them to place an order and they won't take ANY orders with a foreign billing OR delivery address.

They can't or won't explain this. When pressed for an explanation they blame the computer..................

I think I'll be buying a few Vital Gear torches (and maybe an HDS) instead.

Mark2

Enlightened
They do this to protect their resellers in other countries, many of whom happen to set prices at fantasy levels. They would be out of business if people could buy directly from Surefire at those "low" US list prices. Surefire seems to be pretty tough on US dealers who ship out of the country for this very reason.

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
It is probably because they cannot be seen to undercut their distributer in the UK :(

Its crap in the UK for a flashaholic!

stuarty

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are some good SureFire Dealers in the UK. Perhaps the best place to find out more about them is over at BritishBlades forum.

I'd really like to buy things directly from SureFire (or directly from a USA SureFire Dealer) but it isn't to be.

You could check the prices of SupremeCo in Hong Kong. Sounds crazy but I've ordered from them.

Remember of course that no matter where you order from, official purchases from outside the EU are subject to tax and duty and handling charges. Sometimes this can increase the cost of purchasing the product by 33% when you include shipping.

I've found it easier to order and support British Dealers.

Al

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
Who do you use Al, Heinnies? You have a wealth of stuff which would be hard to get in the US let alone over here!

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
Remember of course that no matter where you order from, official purchases from outside the EU are subject to tax and duty and handling charges. Sometimes this can increase the cost of purchasing the product by 33% when you include shipping.

Not when I have colleagues who are in the states on business and legally entitled to bring back goods within the £145 limit.........

Size15's said:
I've found it easier to order and support British Dealers.

By support you mean paying over the odds? Like I say, I'll be buying someone else's products from now on.

FredM

Enlightened
Dave Huck said:
Not when I have colleagues who are in the states on business and legally entitled to bring back goods within the £145 limit.........

By support you mean paying over the odds? Like I say, I'll be buying someone else's products from now on.

If you have some people in the US have them buy it for you locally at a store. The price will likely be alot better than at the surefire site and you will have no problems whatsoever.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Dave,
A good USA SureFire Dealer will be able to tempt you away from SureFire.com
If you have friends who can bring you stuff back from the USA then great.

Regarding UK SureFire Retailers,
People gotta make a living and that means making the best of the situation.
We don't have a large market for SureFires and other premium "Tactical" gear so there isn't the pressure to force down the prices.

I've not used Heinnies but I've heard of them.
In fact, I've not purchased SureFires flashlights recently from the UK so that's why I suggest you find out who the hottest Dealers are at the moment over at BritishBlades.

I've considered using http://outdoorsuppliesuk.com
I get 5.11 clothing from Niton999. I have no real need to get any of the SureFires they stock but I'll likely pick up some SF123As with my next order of 5.11.

From what I gather (although my info may be incorrect), Edgar Bros may be approachable certainly via BritishBlades for purchasing SureFires.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Al

P.S.
I am a great believer of paying a premium for goods that can be posted to me from stock rather than saving a few quid and having to wait (I don't like to wait).

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:

I am a great believer of paying a premium for goods that can be posted to me from stock rather than saving a few quid and having to wait (I don't like to wait).

Outdoor Supplies have stopped stocking Surefire (and Pila), Joseph thinks LED is the way forwards.

I am a great believer in taking advantage of friends being in the States and not being ripped off, Surefire seem to have an issue with that. I think this is known as protectionism.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I didn't know that about ODS - shows I'm not the best person to give advice on where to buy SureFires from (as I thought).

Buy a SureFire - Skin a cat. There are many different ways...

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
Dave,
A good USA SureFire Dealer will be able to tempt you away from SureFire.com
If you have friends who can bring you stuff back from the USA then great.

Regarding UK SureFire Retailers,
People gotta make a living and that means making the best of the situation.
We don't have a large market for SureFires and other premium "Tactical" gear so there isn't the pressure to force down the prices.

I've not used Heinnies but I've heard of them.
In fact, I've not purchased SureFires flashlights recently from the UK so that's why I suggest you find out who the hottest Dealers are at the moment over at BritishBlades.

I get 5.11 clothing from Niton999. I have no real need to get any of the SureFires they stock but I'll likely pick up some SF123As with my next order of 5.11.

From what I gather (although my info may be incorrect), Edgar Bros may be approachable certainly via BritishBlades for purchasing SureFires.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Al

P.S.

I am one of the relatively few "torchies" who frequent BritishBlades. Although Edgar Bros. have done a few specials for us, they ar a distributer, so as such they cannot sell directly to the public. The only dealers I know of are Tacticaltorches and Heinnie, both of who offer great service, and perhaps a few places who stock a few 6Ps etc...

Al, you should stop by BB more often! :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe due to the very nature of Edgar Bros they aren't that interested in creating a significant dealer network in the UK. It's hard to judge them too harshly because the market from SureFires is pretty much minimal.

Perhaps I will spend more time on BB... I need a new folding blade for work...

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not to say they don't look after us british SF customers. Take a look at the threads here and here

Thanks to Edgar Bros, i ended up getting my KL3 a good few weeks before US dealers started shipping them.
I also managed to get hold of a rare-as-hens-teeth E1e-BK from Tactical Torches for 60 quid, which is actually the cheapest i have seen anywhere.

Granted, we dont get cheap prices like US buyers do, but it's the same for most goods in general. But i can say for certain, with ALL the UK dealers mentioned in this thread, your money buys you 1st class customer service.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Dave Huck said:
They can't or won't explain this. When pressed for an explanation they blame the computer..................

Yeah, I like SF as a company, but I've had problems with their CS evading a question I had and, in essence, lieing to me. I finally got to the bottom of it, but not without SF's reputation taking a hit in my eyes.