ok, won and iPod, now what??

ledlurker

Enlightened
I won one in a charity raffle. I do not have much time to rip CD's to the HD. What other music sites are available besides apple iTunes????

Do any of them have great deals on bulk music buys????

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used Walmart. 88 cents per item. Pretty good , deep and wide catalog.

And the best thing is that you don't have to install the Apple download interface. The downside is that you have to use IE5.5 or newer. Firefox takes you to an error page.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Only iTunes Music Store will work for tracks legally purchased online to put on iPod.

It doesn't take long to rip CDs at all.

What kind of iPod?

Have more to say, will check back later. Congratulations!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Ryan Good to know, and good that you said so before anyone wasted time and money trying to put walmart tunes on their 'pod.

I'm glad I didn't buy an I-pod if you can only use I-tunes. I just use my PocketPC (or sometimes the Palm) for portable music.

benh

Newly Enlightened
You can use iTunes to put music on the iPod, and iTunes is the only way I'm aware of to get to the iTunes Music Store. However, in terms of what will work on the iPod, anything that's an MP3 (or several other formats) will work.

There are third party software packages, most free, that will allow you to transfer music to the iPod sans iTunes, and such packages are available for both MacOS and Windows (as well as *nix).

That said, iTunes is a slick interface and a slick way to put the music on the iPod, and it, too, is available for MacOS and Windows.

buba

Newly Enlightened
If your interested in books on tape, er uh, I mean books on MP3... Audible.com supports the IPOD.

ledlurker

Enlightened
I think it is the standard iPod (20GB). Personally I do not have any use for it, I do not even listen to my CD's anymore. My wife is interested in it for listening at work. Also it my get some use for picture transfers or data backup. I am no longer into the tech stuff since I had kids, no time for it anymore.

Does the iTunes softare have the capability to rip a CD, get info from the net and load it to the iPod in one step? If so then I might be abl to do several CD's a day

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the iTunes softare have the capability to rip a CD, get info from the net and load it to the iPod in one step? If so then I might be abl to do several CD's a day

Well.. I dont know about 1 step... You put in the CD and it looks up the info automatically, then you click the import button. Then the next time you plug in your iPod it will all go over to it. So I guess thats 2 steps really ;)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Windows media player can rip CD's and get all the info for you. I can rip a cd in less time that I can search for 1 track, and I'm on cable. I have a very fast PC and CDROM though. I'd go that route. Unless the Ipod doesn't let you put any mp3's on there and that would be quite annoying. If that was the case I'd sell it and get one that wasn't picky.

I rip cd's for my creative MuVo nomad mp3 flash player and it works great.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless the Ipod doesn't let you put any mp3's on there and that would be quite annoying

Of course it lets you put any mp3 you want on there.

Is there any advantage to using windows media player to rip the CD rather than iTunes? You have to use iTunes to get it onto the iPod anyway, so by using some other app to do the ripping just adds steps.

I'd use iTunes for the ripping as well, it has no problem looking up the track information.

benh

Newly Enlightened
I've ripped over 700 cds using iTunes at 192kbps with nearly zero problems. Stick the CD in, let it find the track info, hit import. Eject CD, put in new one. Repeat. A Lot.

The quality of the ripping and encoding is quite good, and it's decently persistent with marginal discs. Works a lot better and a lot more smoothly than my old cdparanoia/bladeenc combo under FreeBSD.

ledlurker

Enlightened
Just ripped 6 or 7 cd's in as little as 30 minutes. I will say this is a lot faster than the tech I messed with 5 or more years ago and much more user friendly.

I had heard of a website that lets you down load as much music as you want for a fixed rate. The only problem is that I have forgotten the website, the fee amount and the minimum memership time. Probably no better than going with the old Columbia House music memership. It was only worth it if you wers just starting out, had a large back order of material, and you stayed on top of the monthly billings.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Probably www.allofmp3.com

You can get non DRM-ed music there. It's not really legal, but it's not illegal either. Basically, it's not being shutdown because of a legal loophole in international law.

paulr

Flashaholic
Tons of free mp3's at www.magnatune.com. Just about everything I've downloaded from there is good. I have some of the paid downloads too and can give you some of them (you are allowed to do that for up to 3 people). They are the same music as the free ones, just at higher bit rates. There's still more at http://muzik.agnula.org/ but I have less experience with that.

There's also lots of concert recordings etc. at archive.org, from the (legal) tape trading scene.

I hate the regular recording industry and generally refuse to buy anything from them. So this is the kind of stuff I listen to.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
allofmp3 is that russian site that is legal because as Saaby said due to a loophole in current russian law that basically moves the fault from the seller to the buyer. So you're not buying them legally, but the police there can't legally shut down the website yet. But dont worry, the RIAA will get them eventually ;) The artists dont see a penny of that.

So give them a penny and buy it form iTunes. Or from another legal site that I like:

http://www.emusic.com/

paulr

Flashaholic
emusic is the one that used to be flat rate but now has some limits. If you really want RIAA music on your ipod I think it's best to rip from your cd's. Cd's are generally a more attractive deal than these download services, and there's no drm on them (avoid the cd-like discs that have drm).

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think napster.com offers unlimited downloads, however you must be a current member for the songs to work. You dont pay your monthly bill, the songs wont play.

I cant say I like any of the new crap out there. I partyl blame the drug laws that prevents one to get high to write a good song.

I think ironmaden is about the only rock band that has rocked longer than I have been alive.

I just hang on to my ozzy, black sabbath, acdc, metallica and other rock cds I got from discount bins at stores and those 12 cds for a penny offers.

I too won an ipod mini from a contest. Its a nice portable storage device like a thumb drive. I have about 700 songs on mines, a few sales books from audible and the wall street journal. It has varable speed playback for audio books.