What's Next for Arc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Please tell me there will be a new and improved AA to follow up the stellar performance of the new AAA...please tell me it's in the works. :)

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall that there was some speculation of the Arc-AA with CS LED being produced in time for Christmas, but I know Arc is having trouble keeping up production to meet demand as is, so who knows.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Well, the AAA is such a perfect little light that I probably ought to be satisfied and leave it at that but wouldn't a AA get us much more runtime?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter did say in a post that there were plans for other lights but understandably so, would not elaborate.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter Atwood said:
...but wouldn't a AA get us much more runtime?

Well, AA batteries have over twice the capacity as AAA, so go figure. However, you probably aren't going to want to have the AA riding on your keychain (even though the Arc AA was pretty much the smallest single AA light in existance). AAA's are pretty cheap as is, but it is nice to get twice the energy for the same $$ with AA's.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
I love my old ARC AA's...with the new brightness of the AAA, I can't wait for the new AA.....it will kick a.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
I just hope they do another AA. I think AAA is the best of the small batteries in terms of being very compact while still giving reasonable runtimes. What Arc is getting with these new lights is pretty astounding so I'm anxious to see what a hotrod AA version will yield. The AA is a little large for keychain but perfect to drop in a pocket and forget about it until you need it.

Hey Karl! So you're a flashaholic too...why am I not surprised? :D BTW, I made all your pieces today and just need to heat treat. :)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArcAA would be good for emergencys, long lasting.. Or make it with several Nichia CS leds for more output... I've always thought that would be good.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am working on multiple new lights right now. Development takes time of course and not all designs will make it into production.

Peter

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
nemul said:
any Luxeon Arcs?
WOW! there's an idea. I learned of the original AAA ARC when they were selling for over $100 on ebay. I never thought I'd ever own one. When the new premimum version was announced I took advantage of this second chance.
It's hard to describe if you've never held one or seen the beam. the quality feels very special when held. the beam is bright, but perhaps more importantly it is BEAUTIFUL! the ARC AAA is tanamount to a "Rolex" at around $50 delivered it is a worthwhile and practical indulgence!!! I would not want to be without it.
a luxeon?? wow! that would be bright (ala Peak Carribean?). the AAA or AA power makes the ARC so wonderful. imagine an ARC CR123??? like the Orb RAW??
I would be interested in a 5mm green AAA ARC...
I'm definitrely glad I got the "P " version:wow:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsask,
Welcome to CPF! Arc used to make Luxeon based lights (Arc LS, LS-P, LS-PF, Arc 3 and Arc 4) From what I recall, they were the first manufacturer to do so.
Since Peter is pumping out the AAA Rev4 as fast as he can, this gives him a buffer to build a new Arc LS. Multiple output LS using a SWAH Luxeon K2 with a single 123a body and optional two 123a and/or single/double AA body? Belt clips? Different style heads?
Whatever the version, I am sure it will really get a wild reception.

zoomin

Newly Enlightened
With the HDS EDC flashlight inventory in circulation, it will be great to see how Peter differentiates his future super bright flashlight designs from them. I hope the future looks bright.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, working on some luxeon designs too. Of course.

Btw, I experiment with various designs from time to time. Most never make it out of the initial phase because I don't like the results of the variation. For example, I put a 35 degree jupiter in a AAA head with one of our high power boards (200mA to the LED from a single alkaline AAA). Everything fits (Jupiter LED with intergral 35 degree optic and high power circuit) in the same size head as the existing 5mm version. Problem is, even at 200 mA, the beam is just not very impressive to me. The 5mm version out throws it, produced a similiarly usefull nearfield flood and runs for much longer on the same battery.

Not all that glimmers is Arc.

Peter

ps. just about selected the LED for the Arc-AAA UV. Not in a huge hurry to put it into production because we are still behind on the white AAAs, but I am trying to have everything in place when the time comes.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks "BentTx"

Whenver ARC announces the new product I will be ready to buy! I REALLY like my ARC AAA, and the Company behind it.
You simply can't go wrong with an ARC!!!:sold:

Status
Not open for further replies.