PR-T head/L4 body as a weaponlight?

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I got done doing a search on this subject, and I didn't find anything, hence the starting of this thread..

I've seen the price that SF wants for a M600A Scout Light, and, let's just say that I'm not really all that thrilled with spending that kind of dough on a tiny little weaponlight. And since I already have a McGizmo PR-T head (mounted on a SF L4 body), I was toying with the idea of using it as a weaponlight on my HK SL-8.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has tried to use this combo as a weaponlight. Will it work as a dedicated weaponlight? Also, will I do any damage to the head due to the recoil of this rifle?

Oh, yeah, since I'm on the topic, does anyone know if the clip on the L4 body comes off? If it does come off, how does one go about getting it off without damaging it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
icon7.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
If you take the pocket clip of the L4 body (any E-Series body for that matter), the o-ring will squeeze out in the gap, when you screw on the bezel. Only answer I know of, would be a very thin washer, to prevent that from happening. The Scout Light doesn't have that problem, since it doesn't have that gap for the pocket clip.

EDIT: Be sure to remove the o-ring, before removing the pocket clip. Be careful not to loose the belt clip insert, when removing the pocket clip. I'd ask McGizmo about the use of the PRT head on a weapon light.

You can put the M2 bezel on your L4 body, using a DSpeck, McGizmo, or Surefire E2C adapter. As you probably already know, there is a version of the Scout Light (M600 Kit 01), with the LU60A (M2 bezel, P60, and Surefire E2C adapter) included ($495 suggested retail). Also includes the FM63 infrared filter.

I have a spare Scout Light body (black HA III), M75 rail mount, and UE07 tail switch (sealed in bag). You could "Lego" from that. If you are using a picatinny rail system, this would be perfect. The latest KL1 (with the TIR optic) might be nice. It has a very narrow beam. I like the M2 bezel with either the P60 or P61 lamp assembly.

oldgrandpajack

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
There once was a very old thread where a PR head was used in such a set-up as a weaponlight and survived very well, but always remember that this head really isn't made for this kind of usage and has absolutely no shock-isolation. LEDs are rough and the electronics are potted, but still ... if you life depends on it ... I'd have doubts.
bernie

P.S.: in no way I know what I am talking about as I have never even fired a gun, so take my words with caution ...

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been done. I sent my buddy,a combat Marine in Iraq just that set-up along with a mount and a picatinny rail for the handguard. It was used in the second battle of Fallujah as well as on numerous other missions. Yes it is still alive and well. Also to use a tape switch I cut-down the tail of a McLux body (3-cell) and put a mini-mag remte switch on it. But overall both bodies were used, the E2e body and the McLux body because I sent him two PR heads. He frequently lent out the E2e / PR light which was taped to the forend of the M-16A2 of the borrower. Marines know how to make do.

Of course this was on a .223 caliber weapon not a heavy recoiler. I would limit my self to 30/06 and under weapons with that set up.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
oldgrandpajack said:
If you take the pocket clip of the L4 body (any E-Series body for that matter), the o-ring will squeeze out in the gap, when you screw on the bezel. Only answer I know of, would be a very thin washer, to prevent that from happening. The Scout Light doesn't have that problem, since it doesn't have that gap for the pocket clip.

EDIT: Be sure to remove the o-ring, before removing the pocket clip. Be careful not to loose the belt clip insert, when removing the pocket clip. I'd ask McGizmo about the use of the PRT head on a weapon light.

I've got a ton of washers laying around in my garage, I'm pretty certain that I can find something that will work.

oldgrandpajack said:
You can put the M2 bezel on your L4 body, using a DSpeck, McGizmo, or Surefire E2C adapter. As you probably already know, there is a version of the Scout Light (M600 Kit 01), with the LU60A (M2 bezel, P60, and Surefire E2C adapter) included ($495 suggested retail). Also includes the FM63 infrared filter.

Yeah, I've seen the E2C adapters that Lighthound is selling. I've toyed with the idea of using one, but decided to give my current setup a try.. for now. If that doesn't work, it's adapter time. :)

oldgrandpajack said:
I have a spare Scout Light body (black HA III), M75 rail mount, and UE07 tail switch (sealed in bag). You could "Lego" from that. If you are using a picatinny rail system, this would be perfect. The latest KL1 (with the TIR optic) might be nice. It has a very narrow beam. I like the M2 bezel with either the P60 or P61 lamp assembly.
I PM'd another CPF member just recently about doing this exact same thing (using a Scout Light body), but decided against it due to lack of funds. Thanks for offering to sell me the parts, though! I'll know where to turn if I do scrounge up enough mullah.
icon14.gif

Kiessling said:
LEDs are rough and the electronics are potted, but still ... if you life depends on it ... I'd have doubts.

I've got other lights that I depend on, as well. Mounting the light on my HK is more to do with *bling* than anything else since it's just "a plinker", and not something that is used for combat, law enforcement, or home defense.
grinser2.gif

Kiessling said:
P.S.: in no way I know what I am talking about as I have never even fired a gun, so take my words with caution ...
You don't know what you're missing. There's is nothing quite like spending your day off at the range punching paper with a German-made H&K rifle..
nana.gif

Wolfen said:
It's been done. I sent my buddy,a combat Marine in Iraq just that set-up along with a mount and a picatinny rail for the handguard. It was used in the second battle of Fallujah as well as on numerous other missions. Yes it is still alive and well.
It's good to know that this sorta setup has real world experience in combat. Thanks for sharing that!

Wolfen said:
Of course this was on a .223 caliber weapon not a heavy recoiler.
My HK SL8-1 is chambered in the very same caliber..

Thanks guys, ya'll have been most helpful! :)