Lamina LEDs arrived. Can't wait to power them!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, my Lamina LEDs group buy has finally arrived. Here are some photos of the items in the package.

lamina1f.jpg

Here is a size comparison of the LEDs: the 567 lumen BL3000, the 120 lumen BL4000, the 192.0 to 249.6 lumen X3T and the 108 lumen BL2000.

lamina1g.jpg

Another shot of the Lamina range.

lamina1b.jpg

Check out the size of the heatinks!! The big ones are for the BL3000, smaller ones are for the BL2000/4000. The X3T looks overwhelmed doesn't it? :D

lamina1c.jpg

The BL3000 on the big mamma heatsink.

I can't power them up yet it doesn't come with the screws necessary to secure them on the heatsink. Damn. Going to get some today/tomorrow and then... the fun begins.

OddOne

Enlightened
hotbeam said:
The BL3000 on the big mamma heatsink.

Indeed! I almost got one of those for mine but I had other plans that involved the mirror assembly from a stage/theater light. So, my HS choice was a little bigger...

copper_heatsink_core.jpg

Came with rough-sawn ends, though, so I hadda clean it up and make it smooth enough for mounting.

copper_hs_rod_polished_closeup.jpg

Now THAT is a LIGHT...

bl3000_mounted_inside_reflector.jpg

Got 131,000 lux @ 1m ( :faint: ) out of it despite its beam angle being fairly wide. (That reflector is designed to be used with a rather large glass lens to shape the beam - without, the angle's about 40 degrees. With, it can be as tight as 4.)

That BL3000 is SERIOUS. It isn't kidding about producing light, and it generates a decent amount of heat in exchange so plan accordingly. Whoever got themselves some though the group buy is gonna have some fun! :D

oO

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wanna see these things in a tube guys... hurry up =)

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddone... that's some nice polishing there!! I first thought the first image of the BL3000 was the LED but when I scrolled down, I saw the real thing. Nice rod :D Was that rod connected to any other heat dissipation material? You're right, it would be (is) some serious light. I just need to power mine up first!! Tonight hopefully.

jar3ds... how would you like to see it on an ArcAAA tube? :D :party:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Here's what 12 BL-2000s look like lit up. That's 2 preproduction prototypes of my taxi sign light. Yes, the fluorescent shop lights in the room are OFF. :ironic:

Lamina_1.JPG

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr... almost 1300 lumens! :thumbsup: That's excellent. Now, I just need to hook up 10 BL3000s :D :D

Koala... I'll make sure I setup a flashing driver to flash the pants off you! :p

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
jtr1962 said:
Here's what 12 BL-2000s look like lit up. That's 2 preproduction prototypes of my taxi sign light. Yes, the fluorescent shop lights in the room are OFF. :ironic:

Lamina_1.JPG

Wow, very impressive! :twothumbs Good luck with your prototypes.

Geogecko

Enlightened
Okay, so this BL3000 puts out nearly 600 lumens? How much drive current are we talking here? What's Vf on this thing?

I have an HID bike light that puts out about 675 lumens, and it's what I consider, just bright enough to go mountain biking. I'm looking at making a bike light, and seeing these monsters puts a smile on my face.

What is the diameter of those heat sinks that came with the BL3000?

What is the size of that reflector (and where did you get it) that OddOne posted? Were any mods needed to the reflector?

I think two of these BL3000's, mounted in a handle bar mount, with one reflector being more a flood type focus, and the second one being a more spot type focus.

My only concern here, is how large the heat sink is, and how much current these guys take.

My current HID light runs on an 11.1V 4Ah battery pack, which lasts about 3 hours, so that's about 1.33A that it is pulling.

OddOne

Enlightened
Geogecko said:
Okay, so this BL3000 puts out nearly 600 lumens? How much drive current are we talking here? What's Vf on this thing?

I have an HID bike light that puts out about 675 lumens, and it's what I consider, just bright enough to go mountain biking. I'm looking at making a bike light, and seeing these monsters puts a smile on my face.

What is the diameter of those heat sinks that came with the BL3000?

What is the size of that reflector (and where did you get it) that OddOne posted? Were any mods needed to the reflector?

I think two of these BL3000's, mounted in a handle bar mount, with one reflector being more a flood type focus, and the second one being a more spot type focus.

My only concern here, is how large the heat sink is, and how much current these guys take.

My current HID light runs on an 11.1V 4Ah battery pack, which lasts about 3 hours, so that's about 1.33A that it is pulling.

11.6VDC @ 2.3A, or thereabouts. It drinks up about 20-ish watts at its ideal current.

My reflector is from an Altman stage/theater light, and costs about $60. It did have to be modded - I had to bore out the center hole to accomodate the 1.25" diameter copper rod. It was originally about an inch in diameter to accomodate an axial 575-watt quartz lamp in its original application. However, that reflector is designed to also need a matching lens to collimate the beam further. Otherwise you have a very nice, VERY bright area light. With a suitable lens the throw should be INSANE. (I'd love to find a 5" dia. acrylic ball lens!)

oO

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962 said:

Lamina_1.JPG

Man, that is bright. Why don't you try takeing the tubes and ballast out of the shop light over your bench and mounting them in there?

I'd like to see how it would do for task lighting

jtr1962

Flashaholic
yuandrew said:
Man, that is bright. Why don't you try takeing the tubes and ballast out of the shop light over your bench and mounting them in there?

I'd like to see how it would do for task lighting
I tried holding one where my shoplight was and I think I measured about 300 lux right under it, and maybe 150 lux at the end of my table. The fluoro lights give me 1200 to 1500 lux over most of the table. I'd probably need 5 or 6 units to match my fluoro lights. At roughly 30 watts per unit without the losses of converting 120VAC to 13.5VDC that's almost as much power as all the shoplights. Once the conversion losses are counted it's more. Another problem is that the color rendering isn't that great (maybe about 75) compared to the 91 or so from the fluoro tubes.

The idea might be viable in a few years though as LEDs hit 100 lm/W and have improved color rendering. Certainly one of these would make a nice desklamp right now for a fairly small desk. Don't forget that I do a lot of close work in that room. 1500 lux is actually at the low end of the light intensity you need.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today hottie.

tried to run one and it is on the warm side.
thanks for the GB :D

now, where should i use these at

*Retired*
jtr1962 said:
I tried holding one where my shoplight was and I think I measured about 300 lux right under it, and maybe 150 lux at the end of my table. The fluoro lights give me 1200 to 1500 lux over most of the table. I'd probably need 5 or 6 units to match my fluoro lights. At roughly 30 watts per unit without the losses of converting 120VAC to 13.5VDC that's almost as much power as all the shoplights. Once the conversion losses are counted it's more. Another problem is that the color rendering isn't that great (maybe about 75) compared to the 91 or so from the fluoro tubes.

The idea might be viable in a few years though as LEDs hit 100 lm/W and have improved color rendering. Certainly one of these would make a nice desklamp right now for a fairly small desk. Don't forget that I do a lot of close work in that room. 1500 lux is actually at the low end of the light intensity you need.

Have you tried figuring the lm/W at lower current levels though...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
NewBie said:
Have you tried figuring the lm/W at lower current levels though...

Actually, I did that in this thread.

Here's the efficiency graphs for the BL2000 and a Q3J Luxeon:

White_LED_Comparison_3.GIF

At lower currents the efficiency is somewhat better, topping out at 40 lm/W around 70 mA but the problem is Lamina uses cheap, relatively inefficient commodity blue dies to keep costs down. I'd love to see a BL2000 using Cree XT24 or XT27 dies. It would probably do better than 100 lm/W even at rated current.