Terralux TLE-5 & TLE-10

TwoCell

Newly Enlightened
Hi, folks - Long time lurker, first time poster, showing flashaholic tendencies...

I recently bought a TLE-5 to go in my 2AA Minim@g and a TLE-10 to go in my wife's 2AAA Miniminim@g. Love the TLE-5 - nice bright white, smooth beam, everything it was cracked up to be. I'm really disappointed in the results that I got from the TLE-10, though. I read the article on Flashlightreviews, and duly noted the comment and beamshot demonstrating the "strong yellowish-green tint to the corona." Installed it and found that I musta missed the booby prize in the LED lottery. Mine's almost more LIME green than white. Hardly useable, at least to me. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled on the TLE-5 for M*glite retrofits.

My question: Seeing as how this is a SMD type LED, is there anything that I can replace it with that will give me the same performance (runtime and throw), but with a better tint, or is this an inherent attribute to the Nichia SMD LEDs and I should have been looking elsewhere to get an LED retrofit for my SO's 2AAA light?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

rick88

Newly Enlightened
There was a recent post about the tle-10 (microstar1) http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94395&highlight=microstar

Others have found the beam to be very distracting also. It seems the easiest way to smooth it out is with opaque tape, like the opague end from those 3M sticky pads students use for noting important pages in a book. But if yours is green then this may only make it light green.

I've tried an MJLED with it, but on alkaline AAA's, it's not very bright, and the brightness drops off very quickly once the battery is no longer fresh. An AAA sized Li-ion with a resistor gives sustained bright white light (noticeable brighter than with alkaline AAA's), but you would have to buy the 10440 AAA size Li-ion and charger. I use a 15 ohm resistor but you should experiment to make sure the average amperage is about no more than 75 mA.

I think the Sandwich Shoppe http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php used to sell drop in's for the AAA, but can find it now.

For the price, it may be cheaper to just get one of the newer 0.5W AAA lights.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a couple of the TLE-10 a few months ago, I also found the beam
to be very distracting. I now only use it in candle mode, makes a great candle