New Surefire DARPA Series? (PIC)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
DEF%201%202%203s.jpg

There was a thread over at AR15.com Where a member posted a pic of the DARPA series lights by surefire?

Anyone know any info on these lights? Seems that SF is using more technology in the TIR's to create these lights...

I really hope that they can get these optics to give awesome throw but at least some good spill for up and close work... all three of the lights in the pic all have the ability to change its output...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, U2-turbo and U2-optics, I like it, a lot...

Apparently the left most one was said to be a part of 800 proto-types submitted for evaulation, so we probably wouldn't see them any time soon...

Last edited:

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
The pics have been circulated on here before, but I have not seen any specific product details on the lights, other than, as you say, they have multiple output capability.

Considering their 'uniqueness' and usefullness, if Surefire were to introduce them as a regular product line, they'd sell crateloads.

I saw some info on the DARPA site, and it seems that these lights are pre-production evaluation lights, in service somewhere in Iraq/Afghanistan by the sounds of the article with the purpose of finding out how the next generation of military lights should perform.

:touche:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm a big fan of the E-series diameter tubes (L2/L4)... i really hope they make the adjustiable output ring for this series as well... i doubt they will though... i just find the E-series lights SO COMFORTABLE to EDC...

Size15's

Flashaholic
I hope that this research and development project that SAIC, LumiLeds and SureFire are working on for DARPA will push forward the technologies for the next generation of illumination tools.

Al

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
I hope that this research and development project that SAIC, LumiLeds and SureFire are working on for DARPA will push forward the technologies for the next generation of illumination tools.

Al

amen

paulr

Flashaholic
Those don't really look like Surefires to me. Absent any further info and going by the pics alone, my guess would be they're made by some other company and are imitation Surefires. Look at the knurl pattern, the clips, the big ring of LED's that doesn't seem to me like Surefire's style.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look just like a U2 to me, from the tailcap, body, clip, collar ring, etc. The only variable is the different heads and laser ingraving.

u2side4b.jpg

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
Those don't really look like Surefires to me. Absent any further info and going by the pics alone, my guess would be they're made by some other company and are imitation Surefires. Look at the knurl pattern, the clips, the big ring of LED's that doesn't seem to me like Surefire's style.

You are kidding, right?

Find any picture of a U2 and tell me that the bodies don't look exactly alike, down right to the selector ring and reverse pocket click with 3 flat sides and the "Hot Surface" warning...

The ony thing that doesn't look like a Surefire is the match black annodizing...

Size15's

Flashaholic
How can I put this....

Shelby Chan (SureFire photographer) took the photos and they are hosted on Paul Kim's (SureFire's Vice President of Engineering) website.

Those are without a shadow of doubt SureFires.

Al

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enough with the fancy Luxeon based models! OK, just kidding, but why not another regulated incan - maybe take the led ring found on the top-most light and make a 3-cell light. The A2 is lonely, it needs a big brother! :)

Jon

Size15's

Flashaholic
StoneDog said:
Enough with the fancy Luxeon based models! OK, just kidding, but why not another regulated incan - maybe take the led ring found on the top-most light and make a 3-cell light. The A2 is lonely, it needs a big brother! :)

Jon

Jon, I wish SureFire would release the M3D - I saw the proto-types.
The M3TD rocked!
P234.jpg

They are not part of the DARPA project though and SureFire shelved them years ago :( :mecry:

CLHC

Flashaholic
paulr said:
Those don't really look like Surefires to me. Absent any further info. . .my guess would be they're made by some other company and are imitation Surefires. . .doesn't seem to me like Surefire's style.

Here's an excerpt from SAIC's News Release website:

SAIC and SureFire, LLC, a leading manufacturer of tactical flashlights have been collaborating for several years to develop new technologies that enhance flashlight performance. This DARPA project. . .

More information can be found here: http://www.saic.com/news/2005/mar/10.html

Enjoy!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:

Al

YES LOORDD ALLELUJAHH!!!!!!

Can someone tell me if the release date is going to be any time soon? I want to know whether I should save up now, or expect it later on. 2nd one looks like KT turbo head with optics. Big one too... Perhaps the Carclo 2 degree? Not likely, but possible.

Kilted

Enlightened
Has anyone else noticed that the two lights on the left have knurled ring on the bezel? For anti-roll, grip or spot to flood adjustment?

=D~~ Kilted

socom45

Newly Enlightened
does that mean these will some time be released for sale to us???

Size15's

Flashaholic
socom45 said:
does that mean these will some time be released for sale to us???

I doubt that flashlights in the same form as the DARPA models will be released.

I do believe that technology will spin off into new products from SureFire that will be released.