Surefire Problem??? (Rings of Saturn)

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to this flashaholicism - and boy do I have it bad. I recently bought a Surefire L4 and L1. The L4 is overkill for many situations (but boy do I love it's clean broad beam). I was a bit disappointed with the L1. Not for its power, which is weak compared to the L4 and other lights I have (but still sufficient for many applications), but because it seems to project the "seven rings of Saturn" everywhere I shine it. (Are these called artifacts?) I like the bright center spot (corona?), but I get all of these distracting rings.

Is this normal? I expect something like this from a cheap light, but not from a $100+ light. I have other $30 lights that project a much cleaner beam. Is this normal? Or did I get a defective unit?

I'd attach a beamshot but for some reason I'm not allowed to post attachments.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the latest version with TIR optic correct? If so, yes the rings are normal. They are usually found in most optics. I am familiar with them and I personally dont find them distracting. Is it really that bad though?

Also, to post a picture, get it hosted on a website, post the link, and write
after the link.

for example,

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its normal.

And yes, its distracting. I absolutely HATE the rings and colored bands produced by the KL1 and L1 optics. Fine for throw it is, but a terrible beam for short range use (inside a small room) my opinion says.

A nice alternative is the Bugout gear Lux III for you P, G, and C-Series Surefires.

If Bugout gear or someone else can make a Lux III reflector drop in the the E-Series, I be very happy.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Illumination: Welcome! Good 1st post.

The new L1/KL1 is noted for its unique "throw"... as well as its rings. Are you using it INSIDE, or OUTSIDE?

I believe it's a much better outside light. You'll find those rings to be less problematic there. The same issues apply to another fine LED "throw" light: the Inova XO and T-1/2/3 series.

Frankly, with an L4 in one pocket and an L1 in another, you've got two excellent, compact, size-efficient lights that can handle just about anything most civilians might face.

Just add an A2, and a C3 with a new KL3 LED head... and you never want need another flashlight! Okay, also maybe an L5... and a Streamlight Lux 4AA... and a Peak Matterhorn... and an Inova T3... and a Pelican M6... and... etcetera, etcetera...

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Chesapeake Knife & Tool has a store not far from my house. They're part of a 19-store chain and carry a good selection of Surefires. I often stop in to shoot the breeze with the guys and check out their stock of lights (and knives)...

The other night I was hangin' out for a little bit, when I decided out of curiosity to compare my KL1 alongside the several KL1's they had in the store. Each one had a different set of rings. All four KL1's (mine included) had a yellow ring just outside of the spot, followed by very distinct (and surprisingly sizeable) purple rings. My KL1 (which I bought from Lighthound) does have a hint of the purple, but only a hint. Quite a difference from the three KL1's they happened to have (has nothing to do with the store...it could just as easily been the other way around...strictly a matter of luck).

When I first bought the light I was really bothered by the rings. Right away I contacted John (Lighthound) and told him I was surprised, and unhappy...He said he didn't want any unhappy customers and offered to take it back, no problem. I haven't carried the light at all since it arrived at my house (2 weeks ago), but I have looked at it frequently. The rings no longer bother me much at all. In fact, I now find the beam to quite pleasing to the eye.

I have decided to return the KL1, but the decision has absolutely nothing to do with the rings. For my needs, I much prefer spill over throw. So I bought the KL4 to use instead of the KL1. I think the KL1 is quite nice,...For anything but closeup I find the beam to be especially attractive (once you're far enough away from the target to have the rings blend in, it's a very nice white). And unlike my more powerful lights, it should allow for a considerably better amount of battery life.

But for me, if ever I do want throw, I think I'd like something stronger than the KL1. And as of today I do believe I have found that. Here's my recent post about the P91 in the Vital Gear 2x123 light: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94568

Size15's

Flashaholic
The TIR optic is projecting pretty much everything forward into the beam. I think that this is something that will evolve from the DARPA project models...

Al

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah... hopefully they will figure out how to keep the optics for good throw but clean up the spill to more of what a reflector does...

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination-

Welcome to CPF. Great choice of screen name too.

One of the things you might want to consider adding to your arsenal is an F04 beamshaper. They cost $12 from SF or SF dealers or maybe a little less on eBay or in BST Lights. It will probably be the cheapest SF piece you will ever see or buy.

It slips over any 1" bezel and diffuses the output and smooths out the beam considerably. This comes at the cost of throw, but in a number of uses such as reading or close-up task work they are great. Also makes a nice diffuse room light. Will fit both your L4 and L1. I use mine most on my EL1.

Mark

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies to my first post. I used my light some more this weekend, and I've gotten to really like it. The low/high setting is useful, with an appropriate level of light at each stage. (It's going to be nice not burning through as many lithiums also.)

You guys are right, I was writing about my initial reaction, based upon use indoors. (The rings are really visible against a flat wall.) The light "shines" (pun intended) outdoors, with great throw for a one cell light. Against a varied background, the rings are hardly noticeable.

And Flash, thanks for the recommendation on the beamshaper. Ordered one along with some other stuff on the Surefire group buy.

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Illumination said:
The L4 is overkill for many situations (but boy do I love it's clean broad beam).

You got a pair of really good lights. I agree that the stock L4 is overpowering for close work. Get a 22ohm McE2s two stage switch from Lighthound.com to drop the intensity of the beam for close work and to get a little extra run time from the batteries. It makes a really good light even better.

The L1 is a good light because it will run for what seems like forever on the same single cell.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's good to see it's working out better for you now. I was about to recommend an L2. Or a McE2S tailcap will basically turn your L4 into an L2 by giving it two stage lighting capabilites. Just as "weaponlight" said in the post above mine. :)

cslinger

Enlightened
+1 on the beamshaper. Makes this light super versatile. With the beamshaper on you get a nice soft flood on both high and low that is great for reading, room illumination etc. Pop off the beamshaper and you put that sucker in throw mode. Best of both worlds really. Surefire really should sell the new style L1/KL1s with a beamshaper and market them as being the best of both worlds.

Chris

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
cslinger said:
+1 on the beamshaper. Makes this light super versatile. With the beamshaper on you get a nice soft flood on both high and low that is great for reading, room illumination etc. Pop off the beamshaper and you put that sucker in throw mode. Best of both worlds really. Surefire really should sell the new style L1/KL1s with a beamshaper and market them as being the best of both worlds.

Chris

i agree... i goes to show that having a throw style flashlight allows you to get flood with a beamshaper... but me having a L2 is sort of screwed if i want better throw...

i think i'm going to be getting a E2L soon so that I can use rechargables, have better throw, and have a smaller package...