General use flashlight

AlejandroA

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, this is my first post
I'm thinking on upgrading my SF 6P flashlight, currently used for EDC, and the SF L2 have come to my mind as an option. It's main use will be as general illumination, navigation and even some tactical.
What do you think about it?

cslinger

Enlightened
Great light for what you describe, just be aware that it is a long light and IMO is not really suitable for everyday carry. Some folks use it for this but it really seems like it would be a challenge.

That being said this light puts out lots of light. On high it is a sight to behold. It will light a room up like you just turned on florescent overhead lights. On low, which is a relative term, you will get plent of light to do just about any normal activity I could ever imagine.

All in all a great light. Understand though that the beam patter will be different then the 6P. The L2 is a flood light a super bright flood light not a thrower. It will put light out to a pretty good distance but will not have that super defined hot spot to really throw out there.

Chris

nethiker

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF AlejandroA! :wave:

Looks like you found the right place if you want to get into a new light. Before I could really make a good sugestion for you, I would want to know a little more. Your surefire should be a great light, what about it would you like to upgrade?

- Smaller size.
- Variable power.
- Longer run-time.
- Brighter light.

How much are you willing to spend? Without knowing any of the above, I would share that my EDC is the HDS EDC from HDS Systems. A great little light from a good company.

Greg

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
For "General Use," I'd think the Surefire L1 (especially the older versions which gave more flood than throw) would be more appropritate. Low provides enough light to navagate and do closeup work and lasts forever. High puts out ample light for most anything else short of very long distance spotting. The switch is the same as the L2, but its a lot shorter and takes only one cell- two advantages over the L2 as an EDC.

Otherwise, the HDS is a great buy. It's a little more complicated (even the Basic requires 4 button presses to get to low- the L1 only requires slight pressure on the switch) but its engineering quality is unparalleled.

Oh yeah, Welcome to CPF!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Bienvenido, Alejandro! :)
Have you considered the A2? low-level light with LED's and a lot more light with the incandescent lamp.

AlejandroA

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
Thanks for your feedback, but let me refine my search criteria:
- Variable power
- Reliable and durable
- Easy to carry and light weight as much as possible
- Price up to 150-170$..... hopefully much less...!!!!!
- It does not have to be a SF, I'm open to new experiences
Thanks + Regards
PS: I haven't consider the A2, because i don't know it. Think i have to investigate a little.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
try looking at the HDS EDC series, takes one battery, can be up to 85 lumens depending on the model!
try http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm for a review.(there are cheaper models) I have my eyes on the basic 42, brighter than a L1, around $120, four levels of light output, all levels are regulated, and they seem to be a little more efficient than surefires.

cslinger

Enlightened
I haven't consider the A2, because i don't know it. Think i have to investigate a little.

Well then do yourself a favor and pick one up. No better all around flashlight out there.

The HDC series are a great light for tiny all the time carry. I am really starting to take to mine and may have to pick up a Basic 60LE as well.

Chris