All the Web is blacked out except CPF!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here at work today (Friday), there's a glitch that's keeping us from reaching Web sites beyond our intranet. I can't reach CNN, eBay, Amazon, CNET, Yahoo, Washington Post, you name it...except CandlePower Forums! I wonder why?

I guess CPF "goes through" a different backbone, but how that is, is beyond me.

I'm not complaining...

danielo_d

Enlightened
Hey, Paul, maybe it's your DNS Server having problems.
You may still have the IP entry in your hosts file on your PC from wayback when CPF had DNS probs.

Just guessing.... [I currently can get to www.cnn.com.]

Danno.

btw, I agree. If all of my internet was down except for CPF, I wouldn't complain either...

:rock:

Danno

Malpaso

Enlightened
From another forum:

Two major Internet backbone companies are feuding, potentially cutting off significant swaths of the Internet for some of each other's customers.

On Wednesday, network company Level 3 Communications cut off its direct "peering" connections to another big network company called Cogent Communications. That technical action means that some customers on each company's network now will find it impossible, or slower, to get to Web sites on the other company's network.

William Steele, a senior network engineer for Syncro Services, said his company noticed the problem Wednesday morning.

"There are some people I can't send an e-mail to," Steele said. "At home, I have Road Runner as an ISP, and wasn't even able to remotely connect in order to manage our servers."

"Peering" arrangements are maintained by network companies that agree to connect their networks directly together to exchange traffic more efficiently. When the companies are of roughly equal size, money rarely exchanges hands.

Level 3 contends that its arrangement with Cogent is no longer financially viable, since it is larger than the other company. It has asked Cogent to seek other arrangements, possibly including paying for the traffic exchange, a Level 3 representative said.

Cogent CEO Dave Schaeffer contested that claim, saying that its network is at least as big as Level 3's, and that it makes no sense to pay for the connection. Cogent is offering any Level 3 user who can't get to Cogent sites free Internet service for a year, in an attempt to attract its rival's customers.

"Our goal is to have this problem go away, whether through Level 3 reconsidering or their customers coming to us," Schaeffer said.

The Level 3 representative said the company was unlikely to reconsider its position, however.

The problem is likely to affect only a small number of each company's customers. Many network company customers have several connections to the Internet and can use an alternate connection to reach a site that might otherwise be blocked.

A similar Net blackout happened in 2001, when Cable & Wireless and PSINet were embroiled in a billing dispute

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
This should be totally transparrent if the companies involved are using the routing prototcols correctly.

What appears to be happening is that company A is still accepting packets destined for comapny B, but not delivering them. Since most networks have automatic routing updates, someone has deliberately soabotaged someone via action or inaction.

You can liken the situation to the post office having a feud with China, and refusing to deliver mail to the Chinesse post office while still advertising to their customers that they will accept mail addressed to customers in China. This has not happened, to the best of my knowledge.

Daniel