Illumination Range Standards

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every now and then as I'm assessing how to explain a new or favorite old flashight I have a hard time quantifying or catagorizing a light with regards to usable throw. I was hoping to solicite a standard or benchmark for each of the CLOSE, SHORT, MEDIUM and LONG ranges. When or at what distance does a light become useful for short distance as oppose to close-up work? etc.

Let get some feedback on the four options. State the min/max range for each catagory and a light that is a perfect example or potential benchmark for that catagory.

1. CLOSE-UP
2. SHORT
3. MEDIUM
4. LONG

Chances are this is probably a redundant topic from CPF past, hopefully not too redundant. Thanks for playing :)

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a very good idea.

1. CLOSE-UP
Range: 6 inchs to 10 feet
Benchmark lights: Arc AAA, Mag solitare

2. SHORT
Range: 10 feet to 30 feet
Benchmark lights: Surefire L4, Mag 2AA

3. MEDIUM
Range: 30 feet to 100 feet
Benchmark lights: Surefire 6P, Mag 2/3 D stock

4. LONG
Range: 100 feet to 300 feet
Benchmark lights: Lux3 modded mag, Mag 5/6 D stock

5. VERY LONG
Range: 300 feet plus
Benchmark lights: Mag 6D, thor 10 MCP

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Close-up. Reading distance. Arm's length or less, say no farther than 3 feet.
Last gen SureFire L1 on low, or current gen L1 on low with BeamShaper diffusing filter. Flood beam at around 1 lumen.

2. Short. The ground in front of your feet (hazard avoidance while walking). Say 3 to 10 feet. L1 on high, either last gen or present with BeamShaper. Flood beam at around 15-20 lm.

3. Medium. Identification of items/hazards in the immediate vicinity. Say 10 to 50 ft. SureFire 6P/A2 or L2/L4. Flood beams at 80-100 lm; tighter beams at 50 lm (a 6P spends an awful lot of time at or below 50 lm).

4. Long. Identification of items that are not in any kind of physical proximity. Greater than 50 feet, say 100 yards max. Spot beam at 100 lm or more.

I think these are pretty distinct functional categories. A light manufacturer who can address all these in one light has a pretty darned useful tool.

Scott

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are pretty good parameters TSF! Those look like good distances to establish. Wish I had a few Surefires but I guess I know which ones to get for what distance now :)

I can't see 10ft with a Solitaire though, let alone clearly. I'd say we need a closer catagory to use that one as a benchmark. :nana:

1. CLOSE-UP
Range: 6 inchs to 10 feet
Benchmark lights: Definately McLux TK or any 1w LED w/ McFlood Reflector

2. SHORT
Range: 10 feet to 30 feet
Benchmark lights: Surefire L4, 3W McFlood, Aleph A19 5W

3. MEDIUM
Range: 30 feet to 100 feet (10 to 30 yards)
Benchmark lights: Surefire 6P, Pila GL4R,(These two probably out class the regulated Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon or PT Surge )

4. LONG
Range: 100 feet to 300 feet (30 to 100 yards)
Benchmark lights: Stock Tigerlight

5. VERY LONG
Range: 300 feet plus (Over 100 yards)
Benchmark lights: Mag 6D, Thor 10 MCP, Mag 2C mod

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL - I was still writing while you posted beezaur

Your distances make sense too. :thinking:

I'd still say for close-up and short a McFlood is a great benchmark
10' to 50' seems like a long spread but looks like an L4 can cover it pretty good but might be overkill at 10ft :shrug:
Wish I knew more about the 6P.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long range - no distance, just a test. Will it turn off a street light?

Super long range - will it turn off a street light from fifty yards away?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
CromagNet said:
10' to 50' seems like a long spread but looks like an L4 can cover it pretty good but might be overkill at 10ft. . .

Yes, that does cover a large range. I figure each range category covers a factor of 3 to 6 of some "base" distance.

I tried to stick to functional divisions. The specific thing I was thinking of for 'medium' was threat identification (bad people) at distances where you might encounter them. 10 ft would be inside a room; 50 ft might be in a parking lot. But for flood the idea would be mostly terrain identification at the longer distance.

I live in a rural area too, which makes my numbers maybe different from what someone else would use in a different environment.

Scott

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
OIC! Thank you for your perspective Scott. That's what makes these forums useful and interesting :)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello CromagNet,

Since you asked for opinions... :)

I think it is a good thing to figure out some ranges that we tend to use our lights in, but am not sure if everyone can agree on what those ranges should be. People who live in open areas tend to think in terms of larger distances than people who live in areas where things are closer together.

For example, in Alaska, a 200 mile trip to go fishing is considered a short trip. In New York City, a 200 block trip is considered long.

I tend to prefer having a bit more light. I can always figure out a way to reduce the amount of light I have, but find it very difficult to add more if I need it.

Doug (Quickbeam) has listed the throw (in meters) of the lights he has tested, down to 1 lux. If you take the same chart and view it as feet (instead of meters), you will come up with some very useful information.

What you are doing is changing from lux to foot candles by doing this. One foot candle is equal to 10.764 lux, so we have a little over 10 times the amount of light falling on the object we are trying to identify. I find that at longer distances, the extra light helps a lot.

So, once you nail down what the various distances should be, I would suggest that you take a look at Doug's chart (from the foot candle perspective) to pick lights to serve as benchmarks.

Tom