Target's Glow in the Dark Chalk doesn't

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Stopped by my local Target today and upon entering I found a display of Halloween trinkets, many of them for $1.00 each, so I picked up a set of GITD paints and a package of three "NiteGlo Chalk" sticks for Halloween decorating.

When I got home I wanted to see how bright they were, and while the paints reacted to my 395nm NUV flashlight and glowed afterwards, the chalks had no reaction at all - they turned out to be just regular pastel sidewalk chalks!

I tried charging them with several really bright lights and... nothing. :scowl:

The chalks were branded as JA-RU, Jacksonville, Florida and made in China. The manufacturer's item number is # 3500-3GLOW.

Don't waste your money on them.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Did you try them on the sidewalk, or just shine the lights on the stick of chalk?

I bought the same thing at the local drug store and found that the powder was mildly GITD. I've been meaning to try it on a dark evening, but keep forgetting.

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
gadget_lover said:
Did you try them on the sidewalk, or just shine the lights on the stick of chalk?

I bought the same thing at the local drug store and found that the powder was mildly GITD. I've been meaning to try it on a dark evening, but keep forgetting.

Daniel

I just checked them in the package. I've used similarly-packaged GITD chalks from Spencer's Gifts before and they phosphoresce quite readily even through the package, so I'm pretty sure that these are duds.