TLC For Your EDC ?

DavidTHR

Enlightened
My everyday carry lights range from the Surefire E2 and E2e to the Surefire L4 Lumamax.

They all have the Type III Hard Anodized finish.

Is there anything special you do to care for and/or protect your EDC light?

For example, many people wipe down their EDC firearm daily to prevent rust.

Also, I have Militec Grease that I use on firearms.

Would Militec grease be a good choice to "lube" EDC flashlights.

Is there any special care suggestions for the TYPE II Anodized lights such as the Surefire 6P that may be different from the Type III HARD Anodized lights such as the Surefire L2?

Any "TLC for your EDC" ideas would be welcome.

nc987

Enlightened
I have a 6P i use for EDC. Surefires dont really need any maintenance outside a annual silicone treatment to the seals. The body is gonna get banged up but rust shouldnt be a problem unless you manage to scratch deep enough to get it down to the bare metal which on a surefire is tough to do.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it depends on which EDC. My Arc AAA lives on my keyring, so I know it'll eventually get knicked up, there's just no getting around that. I just make sure the battery hasn't leaked every once in a while, and occassionally rinse the dust off the LED/head, and lube the threads.

During the week at work I also EDC a Nightcutter P20. I keep it on my belt in a MiniMag holster. It has some scratches in the finish, and I'm not really sure how they got there, but I'm not worried about it. Same maintenance as the Arc AAA.

On the weekends, I have a TnC Key Lux AA 350 in my pocket. Since it cost considerably more than my other EDC's, I try to keep it in my other front pocket, next to my wallet, instead of in the pocket with my keys. Hopefully it won't get scratched up for a while. But if it does, it's not the end of the world. Otherwise , the maintenance is the same as my other EDC's.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did try militec on a couple of my lights but it tended to migrate and lose its lubricative properties after a while. It also caused problems where conduction was essential (eg. on a maglite).

I don't do anything special to my edc light - just make sure the batts are charged, the lens is kept clean and the threads and rings are lubed.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you would like to avoid that migration issue I highly recomend and personaly use MagnaLube on all of my flashlights. The stuff is great!! No migration even when the lights run VERY HOT (they don't put that warning on KL4's for no reaso) The stuff stays put. Works great on the O-Rings and Threads of all typs of flashlights.
I do a monthly maintence on my unanodized aluminum lights with this stuff and the results are terriffic. The lights which use some sort of twist to engage action, all become very smooth or smoother when MagnaLube is used.
Yaesumofo

Grox said:
I did try militec on a couple of my lights but it tended to migrate and lose its lubricative properties after a while. It also caused problems where conduction was essential (eg. on a maglite).

I don't do anything special to my edc light - just make sure the batts are charged, the lens is kept clean and the threads and rings are lubed.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never have heard of Magnilube.....where can you purchase it? Thanks!