Big Q-III (TM301X-3) Problems

lakefx

Newly Enlightened
New to this hi tech flashlight stuff so I got reading this forum and thought I'd give it a try. Ordered from AmondoTech the TM301X-3 Big Q-III w/Hi Lo and uses 2- CR123, and fell in love with the light but after about 3-4 minutes of use on hi it shut down with what I thought I heard was a click. I tried a different set of batteries and still nothing. With the tail cap off and no batteries I can hear somthing rattling around in the head. Everything I can check without taking it apart is tight. I also don't see the reflector or LED moving around so have come to the conclusion that an internal component came lose inside. This light was not subjected to any abuse. In addition to this I checked the included batteries and they measured 3.061 and 3.07V. Don't think that could be it. There was no smoke or even any smell of it from this unit. The lose component is big enough to be felt when it is gently shaken. I wrote an email to AmondoTech and will wait for there reply to see what they can do but my question is if anybody out there has had any problems like this with there Big QIII and if it is an EZ fix???? Thanks in advance.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like your conclusion is correct. Bummer.
When something like that happens it's nice to know you bought from a very reputable dealer who believes in strong customer service.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet on a lose solder connection in the head. There is a circular board in there with a resistor on it, no other electronics. If you remove the bezell and pull the Luxeon Star out with the circuit board, I would bet you would find a loose solder connection.

Now if you ran the light with two R123 cells (rechargeable Li-Ion) you probably burned up the resistor. That shouldn't happen with regular CR123 cells, though.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The great thing about it is that it can be an excellent value for the money. And if you get the itch to improve it with a "better" Luxeon star, or you want to add a constant current convertor to it (I put a Downboy 500 in my brother's) its easy to do.

It should be pretty easy to repair if you can solder. There isn't too much to it.

lakefx

Newly Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
The great thing about it is that it can be an excellent value for the money. And if you get the itch to improve it with a "better" Luxeon star, or you want to add a constant current convertor to it (I put a Downboy 500 in my brother's) its easy to do.

It should be pretty easy to repair if you can solder. There isn't too much to it.

Thanks for that info and I have used a soldering iron or two. This light was part of a larger order that also included the TM310H ( 1xAAA), TM303X (little Q-III), and the CK220 lantern. Being new to this hobby (read not very experienced) I chose to go with the Nuwai lights based on the info I got on the net. Out of the box these look to be high quality for the price, produce way more light then anything I've owned before for there size, and beg to be modded. I will get with the guru's on this site to do a few mods but for now I just wanted to get familiar with these lights for a few weeks to get a baseline. Wayne over at AmondoTech has been in contact with me twice so far and says he will send me instructions and a return authorization. AmondoTech has been good so far and they will get another order from me pending the outcome of this problem. A sad twist to this story is that the 1xAAA light is now dead. It rolled off my bed 20" onto the carpet and will no longer work. This happened the very next day after the big Q-III died. I still have my hopes up that this is a good product and so far the lantern and little Q-III have been outstanding but I have not owned them for even a week yet. I'll keep the forum posted on this developing story.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
yekim said:
ack! I just ordered one on Friday.

yekim...I wouldn't be too concerned. There's been a LOT of CPFers who have purchased this particular light, and there have been VERY few complaints/problems regarding it. And as already stated, Amondotech won't leave you hanging if there's a problem...

PJD

yekim

Enlightened
PJD said:
yekim...I wouldn't be too concerned. There's been a LOT of CPFers who have purchased this particular light, and there have been VERY few complaints/problems regarding it. And as already stated, Amondotech won't leave you hanging if there's a problem...

PJD

I am sure things will be fine. Just worried because it is my first "major" flashlight purchase. I am getting it mostly on the word of flashlightreviews.com. I have a pile of lights, but nothing I would call nice. I wanted something to keep on me at all times that was kind of classyish. That and since I quit smoking, I need to carry something in my pocket to replace the smokes.

yekim

Enlightened
Got mine today. Dropped it a couple times, no problems. I was not sure what to expect when I ordered it but I am pretty happy with it.

lakefx

Newly Enlightened
Re: Big Q-III (TM301X-3) Problems (Solved I Hope)

Back to square one. After a few vollies of emails, Wayne at AmondoTech got me fixed up with 2 new lights. He warned me that the replacements would be opened and checked by him personaly. I told him that while he is at it let the lights be on for 5-6 minutes and even drop them on the carpet a few times from about 3ft. If they still worked then those were the ones I would like him to send. Must be he did because I repeated the test here and they still work! THANKS Wayne for your help! And thanks guys for your support.