MJLED in Dorcy AAA

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have idea of estimated runtime and output curve running a Dorcy aaa modded with MJLED using a E2 lithium AAA vs. a rechargeable AAA. Thanks

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
And trying to also find out guestimate of MJLED runtime in minimag with 2 alkalines.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an answer to your question, but I am also curious about the output difference in general between the MJLED and Nichia CS when driven in the little Dorcy.

Anyone know?

Bob

wwglen

Enlightened
MJLED in a Minimag:

I ran a informal test with a MJLED in a 2-AA alkline and 2-C alkline.

I ran it continiously at night by turning it on when I went to bed and checking it when I woke up.

This is from MEMORY and while might not be exact gives you a idea.

After 10 hours (1 - night) the AA was a little dimmer but still going strong.

After 20 hours about the same

After 30 hours the AA was starting to get dim but still aboout like a normal 1 LED light (20mA or so)

After 40 hours it would still project across the dark room but was reaching the end of it's useful life. Something like 5mA. Would still be good enough to use in a power outtage if I had to.

Voltage on the cells was down to about 1.35-1.38V. Still plenty of power in them to run something like the Nite-Ize upgrade or a while.

Of course the 2-C version was still almost as bright as fresh batteries.

wwglen

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
wwglen wrote: "MJLED in a Minimag:
After 10 hours (1 - night) the AA was a little dimmer but still going strong.
After 20 hours about the same
After 30 hours the AA was starting to get dim but still aboout like a normal 1 LED light (20mA or so)
After 40 hours it would still project across the dark room but was reaching the end of it's useful life. Something like 5mA. Would still be good enough to use in a power outtage if I had to."

Up to almost 30 hours sounds about right -
here's another corroborating informal test that got 31 hours - checked against a PT attitude (with fresh AA alkalines) - see

Post #46 in MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA

Over 40 hours and still have some (5mA) light is incredible for a $5 upgrade to a MiniMag 2AA.......:wow:

wwglen

Enlightened
Oh as to the runtime in a Dorcy AAA.

Probably about the same as an unmoded AAA since it has a boost circuit that drives about 50-60mA to the LED.

It WILL be brighter though.

wwglen

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
I ran dorcy aaa with nimh last night and very rough estimate was after 2.5 hours the light quit being very usable. I assume with a good alkaline it would go quite a bit longer. Would it be safe to use a energizer lithium? That would be even longer runtime.

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
I burned out MJLED in minimag using 2 aa lithiums so now just using alkalines. But in dorcy should be completely safe for aaa lithium.