Any quick impressions: SF L2 & Gladius?

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Greetings,

Just a quick question:

Money no issue, I was considering between an L2 and a Gladius purely for blinding power.

Does anyone have experience about which light is more blinding at a 1 to 3 meter distance when both are on high-beam and using 'momentary-on' activation? (Try to pretend that the Gladius' strobe feature is not an option.)

Any and I mean any information on the comparision between both lights' high-beams(specifically, blinding power) would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Hopefully there will be a simple answer (though I'm not expecting it). :candle:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The Gladius can offer a much more concentrated hotspot than the L2 ... but you'd have to hit the eyes of your victim with it, whereas the L2 produces a wall of bright light everywhere in front of you and should have a higher total flux.
bernie

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have either light, but the test results on www.flashlightreviews.com give an idea.

The L2 puts out much more total light, but its beam is broader.

The Gladius has a narrower beam. The net result is the Gladius delivers more lumens over a small area, so should appear brighter as viewed on-axis looking into the light. That's why the Gladius' throw number is 3x the L2.

However there are other factors. If your hand shakes, or you only momentarily hold the beam on target, the broader L2 beam would deliver more average lumens per unit time because it's less sensitive to being off axis.

They're both good lights. I would tend to slightly favor the Gladius in a defense role because of the strobe feature (which you said don't consider).

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Thanks a lot guys...

From my research and both your posts I think I'll come to a conclusion shortly. Thank you again. :buddies:

Just to be sure, I'd better keep the discussion open for a while more...

So it stands that:
L2 has a more spread-out beam and so less aiming accuracy is necessary to blind/distract someone as compared to the Gladius which will blind more effectively but with less margin for error having a more focused beam.

Anyone going to go against the grain?

cdf

Enlightened
The Gladius is intended to be a fighting light , the L2 is a superb general pourpose light , they are different animals .

Chris

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam on the Gladius is not so narrow that you would have difficulty blasting someone in the face at close range. Plus, you have the strobe option with the Gladius.

best regards

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have had lots of RECENT experience comparing the L2 and the gladius...

you are going to want the gladius hands down... if your main feature of your new light is 'blinding' then the gladius is what you want... it simply has a higher intense center beam....

the stobe feature i think is a very effective defensive method...

as powernoodle said the gladius isn't SO narrow that you have to really 'aim' it... its a very good spread to it too...

however for an EDC light the L2 is by far (IMO) the better option... currently the gladius is anoying as all heck in my pocket due to its antiroll section around the tail of the light... its definately a holster light... the L2 is so thin it just slips into a front pocket with its clip and you'll forget you have it... at least that has been my experience...

features are nice on a light... but if its anoying to carry... you won't carry... just make sure you have a transportation method figured out on the gladius if you choose to buy it... the gladius' current design isn't made for 'easy carry' its a tactical battle light... and it completes that role very nicely...

---

however have you considered using the U2? if price is no option? I might only be slightly more comfortable than the gladius but you have similar options.... the throw is better on the U2 than it is on the L2... U2 owners chime in ;)...

another thought... does the U2 have thermal protection?

Last edited:

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Love the input guys...

Oh dear... Like I was predicting but unlike I wanted, the desicion between the L2 and Gladius isn't as clear cut as I was hoping afterall. :ohgeez:

jar3ds, if I were to purchase it for me, I would have liked the Gladius with its high-beam-by-default setting for blinding. The problem is that the purchase isn't going to be for me! It'll be a gift for a friend who might have difficulty with handling the Gladius' complexity in a defensive situation or for that matter, the U2's complexity. Meanwhile, the L2 is much simpler to use with its high-beam activated by simply pressing the momentary-on button a little firmer than usual and yes, it will be used as an EDC although use of it will probably be restricted to high-beam only.

Question is, how much more blinding is the Gladius compared to the L2? Is it one of those technical differences like how an 80 lumen is brighter than a 60 but not easily noticable to the human eye? Or is it a clear difference that's so obvious that it doesn't require measurements to prove it? Does the difference in blinding make-up for the complex operation of the Gladius? (which can be a hinder when it's needed quick and fast)

Guess it's no longer facts from here on but judgements and opinions.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a gift for a non-flashaholic friend, I think the U2 is much easier to use than the Gladius.

I've found that momentary-style tail buttons are confusing to novices -- they expect it to lock on, and think it's broken when it keeps turning off upon button release.

The U2 is a simple constant on tail click and the brightness selector ring is very simple. There are no channels or modes to remember like the Gladius.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
its hard to give you a good quantitative answer to the question:

how much more blinding is the Gladius compared to the L2?

there both launching a lot of light at the target.. so its hard to know... all i can really tell you is that the gladius is more... how much more? check the lux reading on flashlightreviews.com ... thats the best number data that i know of...

if you want blinding power... why are you limiting yourself to a LED? why not get your friend an Surefire C2 or C3, 6P or 9P or something... then you can have easy click on switch ability with a brightness that will blow away either of the L2 or the gladius' throw-ability...

i agree with you though... i wouldn't consider the gladius a simple flashlight... like the joema said the U2 offers a simplier way to have similar features to the gladius...

also, the KL3 LED head has a brightness center spot to qualify... also, a lot of people compare the Gladius' beam structure similar to the pentagon L2 and the Pelican 3w m6... so don't discount thoughs models... some of said they think te Peilican and the Pentagon L2 are brighter than the gladius with more throw... but i have never compared this in person...

NextLight

Enlightened
Hi Flea,

At contact distance (less than 4 feet) the L4 is easier/better to blind with than the Gladius.. but I don't like having to get that close to get the job done. The L4 beam is a tight flood, the Gladius' beam is a very tight spot. My Gladius barely covers a subject's face at 6 feet.

The Gladius need not be "complicated" though it is flexible. With the factory settings, it will do the job when you push the button (as long as it is not locked in the off position, just like a Surefire lockout tailcap can do) regardles of which of the 3 "channels" it is on.

The L4 is very nice for short term, bright, area illumination, and is useful for very close confrontations. The Gladus is designed and optimized for confrontations, but has flexibility for other situations. With a diffuser, it becomes a great task light up close, with tens, or even hundreds of hours of battery life. The L4 is done in an hour or so.

I own both, and frequently carry my KL4 on a 1 cell body loaded with a Li-Ion rechargeable, as my backup light. All this said, the (non-sworn) women in my life prefer the L4 over the Gladius, but after they learn the price, most opt for a G2.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
its hard to give you a good quantitative answer to the question:
if you want blinding power... why are you limiting yourself to a LED? why not get your friend an Surefire C2 or C3, 6P or 9P or something... then you can have easy click on switch ability with a brightness that will blow away either of the L2 or the gladius' throw-ability...

i agree with you though... i wouldn't consider the gladius a simple flashlight... like the joema said the U2 offers a simplier way to have similar features to the gladius...

I originally wanted to give my friend the C3 with HOLA(w/o TurboHead as she wouldn't be able to keep that 2.5" diameter thing in her handbag) but upon receiving and testing it, another friend and I did some 'field-testing' and agreed that the C3's 200 lumen P91 didn't blind as much as its 105 lumen P90(on quick momentary-on-clickie-type activation only). I explained my reasons in another thread but I think I'll explain it again here:

The P91, though putting out more maximum output than the P90, didn't seem as white at the P90 and more critically, it took longer to reach full power than the P90 and for this reason, I think that was why I think the P91 is a less effective blinding tool (in terms of the momenary-on-clickie-type activation) as the human eye has more time to react and counter the light contrast. Perhaps my P91 is defective but that will have to wait until I test a new P91.

A new theory: That the P90 is much easier to power than the P91 and that is perhaps another reason why the P90 reaches full power so much more quickly. I would expect the same with an M6: That the MN20 would power on quicker than the MN21 in momentary-on-clickie-type activation.

So using the principal of faster-on-results-in-higher-blinding-power, the 105 lumen P90 should in theory be less blinding than an LED with about 80 lumens rating which is the L2/Gladius/U2. The quick 0-max power-on time of a bright LED should give the human eye even less time to react to light contrasts and thus should be more blinding than the 105 lumen P90 in my C3.

I guess that's why I'm only considering LEDs at this point in time.

NextLight said:
The L4 beam is a tight flood, the Gladius' beam is a very tight spot. My Gladius barely covers a subject's face at 6 feet.

Great info there NextLight! Such information is critical in my decision making. If what you say is true, I would hesitate to use the Gladius in a defensive situation as I would definitely have a problem with making sure the Gladius is on the right mode while having to ensure that I'm pointing the thing accurately at the guy's eyes. jar3ds is probably right. I think the Gladius would make an excellent assault light as one would go in with the Gladius prepared but in a defensive situation, I think the U2 or L2 would be a simpler and hence, better choice in a hasty situation... Phew! :sweat:

Flea Bag

Enlightened
So I guess if I were to chose an LED light for myself as an EDC, I would appreciate the Gladius' functions but for my non-flashaholic friend's gift, a U2 or L2 would be a better defensive light.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the L2 for its simpler operation than the U2, slightly more compact size and its crenealised bezel.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 bezel is crenelated like the L2. The U2 is a little shorter than the L2, although the bezel is larger diameter.

I think all three (Gladius, L2, U2) could do the job. The L2 is the least expensive, easy to use and puts out plenty of light. The Gladius is the most defense oriented, but might be confusing to a novice. However you know your friend and their technical aptitude. The U2 is expensive, but easy to use and flexible.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Flea Bag said:
for my non-flashaholic friend's gift, a U2 or L2 would be a better defensive light.

Can I be your friend?
:naughty::naughty::buddies:

If your friend is not a flashaholic, have you considered giving them a light that runs off of "regular" batteries? Not a lot of people want to pay $6 for a 123 batt (and I'm assuming they haven't heard about on-line $1 price). A rechargeable Strion? ...wait, you want LED, right?...:thinking:

Flea Bag

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Can I be your friend?
:naughty::naughty::buddies:

If your friend is not a flashaholic, have you considered giving them a light that runs off of "regular" batteries? Not a lot of people want to pay $6 for a 123 batt (and I'm assuming they haven't heard about on-line $1 price). A rechargeable Strion? ...wait, you want LED, right?...:thinking:

Sure! I'll be your friend but first, could I ask you the following:
Where do you stay exactly, when is there no one at home and which lights do you own? :devil:

I'm going to be giving her at least 12 lithiums as back-up. She'll probably be using the light purely for self-defence along with her pepperspray so she shouldn't need more than that!

By the way... I'm giving the light to my friend because she treats me like a brother, lives alone in a not-so-safe-place, is a bit innocent, and unfortunately has some male 'friends' that can't be trusted. I already gave her 3 bottles of pepperspray to keep around the house and in her handbag!

ksshooter

Newly Enlightened
If you are talking tactics, how is a U2 going to be effective when you/she sets it on a low setting to use looking in her purse for something. Then all of a sudden you/she gets attacted and you have to use two hands to change to the high setting? Get the picture I am in the same boat as you and the Gladius is a no branner in all three channels factory setting will always start on max output. I don't think it is all that confusing.

Luna

Enlightened
ksshooter said:
If you are talking tactics, how is a U2 going to be effective when you/she sets it on a low setting to use looking in her purse for something. Then all of a sudden you/she gets attacted and you have to use two hands to change to the high setting? Get the picture I am in the same boat as you and the Gladius is a no branner in all three channels factory setting will always start on max output. I don't think it is all that confusing.

What happens when you somehow how have teh gladius programmed for the wrong mode? Similar situation to my Motorola phone alway changing the ringtone when it is in my front pocket.

Sounds like you want a U2/L2 hybrid. Maybe a 2stage clickie wih enough resistance to drop the U2 out of regulation is the best choice for you/ personnally, I find my U2 more friendly than my L2.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was shining my l2 at myself in a dark room with my pupils diolated.. and it wasn't blinding me... i don't think the 900 or so lux at the center is enough to really do blinding damage to someone...

just my current findings :) ... its not a tactical light... its excells GREATLY as a camp light / work light... walk light etc... but as a tactical light i wouldn't recomend it...