Homebrew Biodiesel, Success!! with photos.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done it!
My 1st successful batch. :rock:
DSC00963.jpg

Another view of the finished and winterized product.
DSC00960.jpg

Winterized?
Yes, down to 10 degrees F with 4 parts homebrew biodiesel and 1 part this stuff below. :p
DSC00962.jpg

The entire cast of this little production minus the blender.
Left to right are:
The 2 litre pop bottles for making and washing the biodiesel.
The yellow bottle was the methanol.
The glass bottles are the "holding tanks" for the finished biodiesel and raw glycerin.
The now discontinued Red Devil Lye.
(I found another and better source already though. ;) )
Funnel.
Pot used to heat and dry the washed biodiesel.
Original plastic bottle the new soy oil came in.

DSC00958.jpg

My poor 50 cent pop bottle took a beating after I drank the pop from it. :naughty:

DSC00961.jpg

Here's a view of the leftover glycerin with a teeny little bit of biodiesel left on top of it.
DSC00959.jpg

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool.

FWIW, I have worked on a number of criminal appeals involving methamphetamine manufacturing. Meth dealers also use the Red Devil Lye, funnels, bottles and a stove. You're missing the pseudoephedrine and a couple of other things. I don't know what my point is, except that if you have some of that stuff in the back seat of your car and get pulled over, you're going to be there awhile. :)

Meth_Lab.jpg

Meth lab or biodiesel lab? You be the judge.

BTW, you look very proud in that photo, and properly so. :twothumbs

So what are you going to do with the biodiesel - feed it to your '77 diesel VW Rabbit?

best regards

Last edited:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meth lab in your photo.
The open containers and extra hoses are the main clues.
A biodiesel lab ideally uses closed containers from start to finish.
I wish meth heads would find a better hobby. :sigh:
Like making biodiesel instead perhaps? :thinking:
it's also profitable and a whole lot more appreciated by truckers. ;)

Edit:
Oh, it's going in my 2003 F350 just like 2 fillups of B20 from www.dfwbiodiesel.com already have.
My truck runs like new again now.
I had forgotten what it was like to punch the accelerator and get a good surge of power. :rock:

At the next dfw meet, I need your used fryer oil folks.
Just bring it over strained/filtered and in 5 gallon pails instead of clogging your drains with it. :D

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just hope you don't punch it while I'm behind you. I don't like a big cloud of black fumes!! Where I live people do that on purpose. One truck did it so bad I couldn't see 3 lanes wide. I guess they have their cats off. My aunt almost wrecked when one with semi-like stacks did that and oil went all over her windsheild!!!:duck:

EDIT: go a head!! From reading it seems that there isn't much black smoke from biodesiel. heh.

So, have you used your first batch yet? Are you going to run 100% bio? Are you going to try to make this in bulk and be self-sustaining? Sounds like a lot of work!

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for asking a "out of the crowd" question, but what is the big accomplishment here? is it the fact that its made at home, or bio-friendly, or what?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle said:
Very cool.

FWIW, I have worked on a number of criminal appeals involving methamphetamine manufacturing. Meth dealers also use the Red Devil Lye, funnels, bottles and a stove. You're missing the pseudoephedrine and a couple of other things. I don't know what my point is, except that if you have some of that stuff in the back seat of your car and get pulled over, you're going to be there awhile. :)

Don't forget the Heet. Heet is also used by manufacturers to extract the pseudoephedrine from the pills (disolves in Naptha). I think if a meth-head was found making biodiesel, they'd end up going to prison! "Biodiesel, eh? Good cover! ....but we're not fooled...... clank"

3rd Shift,

So, let me get this straight, you just toss that stuff in your diesel engine and it works without any engine modifications? Do you run it straight, or throw in a few gallons of the stuff with gas station diesel?

Edit: Never mind...just found that information on the bottom link of your last post in your first thread!

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The process is interesting. I keep seeing lots of other chemicals being used, like the lye and the methanol. That leads me to wonder about the enviromental impact of the waste. Can you post about the quantity produced, the raw materials that went into it and the waste products?

Thanks

Daniel

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
UncleFester said:
Hmmmm..... Where's ikendu in this thread?????????

Reading.

I wrote a nice long post, but then my browser locked up (as it often does now on the CPF).

Mednanu

Enlightened
3rd_shift said:
I've done it!
My 1st successful batch.

Ok, don't get me wrong, I share your joy over a successful first-run on the new fuel brewing excursion.....but wouldn't it be easier just to run SVO ? No messing with all of the highly flammable, highly dangerous chemicals ( which could cause you to go blind or even blow up if accidentally mishandled ). And you don't have to invest all of that effort in refining the fuel if you just spend $800 bucks on a fuel warmer to get the SVO thin enough to burn in a standard diesel.

Sure, I could see doing it if you are looking at it from the purist's perspective and want to run the BioDiesel while your engine warms up, then switch over to SVO so that you don't have to burn any refined diesel. But it seems like sooooooo much effort and expense for so little return when you compare it to running SVO, which can be had for little or no cost and requires no more effort to process than running it through a filter to make sure that no particulate matter remains within the fuel before you burn it.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time... really. I'm actually very interested in the subject and want to know if there's something I've missed regarding the BioDiesel / SVO equation, as I'd like to convert a truck to run SVO sometime within the next two years. :)

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, whats it taste like? Just kidding....

Its my understanding it burns like diesel, smells like french fries and if you can get used oil from mom and pop kitchens for free, its cheap to make. I think its like 70 something a gallon.

If he had a preheated tank or fuel inlet, he could run the diesel engine on pure vegetable oil, assuming its filtered and the pump can use it. Not all diesels can run on pure vegetable oil.

I was listening to bubba the love sponge on xm one day. Had a guy talk about making drugs in the back of his car with an inverter and microwave. After hearing how he did it, I wouldnt want to put all those things in my system.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
> I wrote a nice long post, but then my browser
> locked up (as it often does now on the CPF).

Here's what I do- open Windows Notepad, compose my note in there, then copy and paste into the reply window in my browser.