Help design my flashlight collection

bratch

Newly Enlightened
I'm slowly entering the abyss of flashaholics. I'm wanting to expand my collection so I can light up almost any situations.

Right now I have:
(2) Surefire G2s
(1) Streamlight TL2
(1) Streamlight TwinTask (2 CR123A model)
(1) Streamlight KeyMate

Right now I use the TL2 as my EDC when I carry. It may be a bit large but it gets the job done without too much hassle.

Here is what I would like:

1) House lights for fence checking, looking under the bed just general everyday use. I live in town right now so plan for urban lights not super spotlights for 'yotes at the end of a field.
2) An extra EDC to leave in my truck incase I get out at night and have left my other at home.
3) Truck light for general automotive uses. I'd like handheld and a headlamp.
4) Outdoor lights for camping, hunting, fishing, etc.

I'm not real hard on flashlights but like quality. I'm not a Surefire addict as you can see.

If you could help design my flashlight collection to meet most task it would be great. Please use the lights I already own to help fill in the gaps. I wouldn't mind replacing the TL2 with something a bit smaller but if it is cost prohibitive it won't be necessary.

I'm not needing any of the specialized lights right now (LED lanterns, etc).
I don't care what batteries they use but 123s would be nice since everything else I own uses them.

I'd like to keep the project around $200. I'd prefer 4-6 lights that are in the Streamlight, Inova range instead of 1 Surefire.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Hey. Welcome to CPF. I'm sure not a surefire addict either, even though they are good lights.

Since you are looking to stay with 123s, I'd think something like an E2e for EDC. I'm having trouble thinking of a SL light that's comparable size-wise to the E2e that runs on 123s.

Get the Streamlight and Surefire catalogs if you don't already have them and familiarize yourself with their lines.

What parameters exactly do you want for these lights? I'd say you have an excellent start on a nice, useful collection.

scudinc

Enlightened
1. SL ProPolymer Luxeon ($23)
2. Inova T1 or Fenix L1 (~$30 each)
3. Princeton Tec Attittude for handheld and PT Matrix 2 for a headlamp ($30-40 total)
4. Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED ($20)
Gerber Infinity Ultra ($15)
You could probably use the SL ProPoly here, too.

Total: $118-128

That leaves enough for a new EDC.

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your truck, your going to want a lithium powered light since its getting colder. You could go for a Nuwai Q III. Very affordable, and puts out a good amount of light, while being small, and run time is good. I recommend a lithium powered light for the truck anyway, it doesnt have to be a Q III. Since you might need the light in an emergency, your going to want it to be long lasting and reliable.

tron3

Banned
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007CIHJ2/ref=cm_aya_asin.title/002-7319828-7181604?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
I have it. 82 lumens, and great for standy use. Be sure to vote on my review at Amazon, I'm TRON3, there as well.

My "What are your favorite flashlights" thread will show you some of my favorites, that I hope will be favorites of yours.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94919

This is all of my amazon review with some more flashlight reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3E3T8MS11VGKP/ref=cm_cr_auth/002-7319828-7181604?%5Fencoding=UTF8 Please remember to vote! thanks!

scudinc

Enlightened
Mags said:
okay maybe Q III doesnt have the best runtime, but its better than the runtime of an incandescent, its led, acceptable output, and its very affordable.
Yes, but you could get a waterproof, hard anodized, better-built, better-looking Inova T1 with twice the runtime and a bit more output for the same price.
Also, you could get a Bugoutgear 3 watt drop for one of your G2s.
Review is here.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux3.htm
That's probably the best suggestion so far.

Last edited:

bratch

Newly Enlightened
No real parameters other than general use in truck, house, and outdoors. I figure these could use a different type of light to be better suited for each task.

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I'll look into what you've guys have said.