QIII body and 5 watt head??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
After playing with a TW4 powered from a 4.2 volt R123 I am loving this set up. It is very small and packs a punch for sure and gets about 25 minutes or maybe a little more of full power on one cell....perfect for a back up light.

I noticed that Nuwai has a 5 watt light that is identical to the 3 watt QIII and uses a 2 cell body. Has anyone tried to use the 5 watt Nuwai head on the 3 watt single cell body? This would be almost the same as the TW4 set up and if using a rechargeable 123 it should run pretty good if it is a similiar circuit to the TW4....just curious as this would be a nice light to have and cost a lot less.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sengoku did this, and the light was sold twice. It's been done, though it's not quite as bright as a TW4 setup, IIRC.

Last edited:

red_robby

Enlightened
Robocop said:
I noticed that Nuwai has a 5 watt light that is identical to the 3 watt QIII and uses a 2 cell body. Has anyone tried to use the 5 watt Nuwai head on the 3 watt single cell body? This would be almost the same as the TW4 set up and if using a rechargeable 123 it should run pretty good if it is a similiar circuit to the TW4....just curious as this would be a nice light to have and cost a lot less.

the Nuwai 5 watt has the same circuit board as the Q3, I have one. all you'd need to do to get a "Q5" is replace the 3W lux with a 5W, pop in a rechargeable 123 cell and you have a working light...
the hotspot pretty much takes over most of the beam, it puts out lots of light!

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Thanks for the links and I see that this was not really a very original idea after all. I will have a spare QIII circuit coming to me shortly and I may attempt this mod if I can find a 5 watt star that I like.
I think many members here seem to change the heat sink out of the factory QIII and I would most likely try to do the same if running a 5 watt. Heat would be a problem here I think..
Thanks again and I will keep this in mind for later.