Source for tiny metric screws?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been searching the local stores for tiny metric countersunk screws. These are the screws that hold a laptop together. I've dropped a few of them while disassembling/reassembling a laptop and I've never been able to lcoate them, and Dell wants an outrageous amount of money for a small quantity of these things.

I've tried Wal-Mart, an auto parts store, a large computer store and a hobby shop with no luck. Where else should I be looking?
:thinking:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try a simple hardware store? My Ace (westlakes) hardware store has lots of slide out drawers with all kinds of things you'd never think to find.

I even found one that had all kinds of automotive fasteners for door panels and such. Like every kind I've ever encountered. And a lot cheaper than $6 for 3 generic ones at an autoparts store.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Ditto on Ace. Your local mom & pop hardware store might also have screws. I know the hardware store downtown where I live has a ROOM full of screws. If else fails I could stop by. Just be aware that the prices are outreageously high, just for being in the downtown area (to give you an idea, I paid $0.99 for ONE tiny o-ring that I needed for my ArcAAA mod - couldn't find one at Ace).

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe 3mm?

Most hardware stores don't carry them. I can tell you where there's a little "hole in the wall" hardware store in Wayne NJ that probably has them :) I don't remember how I found this one, probably the yellow pages.

I order most of my small screws on the internet, but I usually use "american" ones, not metric.

You might try this place:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/MET.cfm

Be aware that these small screws come with a variety of heads. Philips (which I prefer), slotted (which I don't like), various ones that take little allen wrenches, and some with hex sides that take a nut driver.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I actually found some today at a "real" hardware store. Yes, it was one of the Ace franchise stores. Thanks for all of the info, guys; I'm keeping it for future reference.

IMO the real hardware stores have old creaky wooden floors, and there's a guy with an an apron with pockets full of stuff and he knows where everything is and what you'd use it for.
:)

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Creaky wooden floors is the key. Did it also have narrow aisles piled high with stuff so you had to sidle through? If so, you may have found the "nuts and bolts" hardware store in Wayne NJ.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
GreenLED: ya my o-ring cost 74cents I think. That's near 75% the cost of the LED I was putting into the mod. But hey, it's worth it! lol!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
eluminator said:
Creaky wooden floors is the key. Did it also have narrow aisles piled high with stuff so you had to sidle through? If so, you may have found the "nuts and bolts" hardware store in Wayne NJ.

Not narrow enough. I miss those old-fashioned hardware stores. You could always trust the information that you got from the guy in the apron, and you could go inthere and buy ONE screw, fished out of a large wooden drawer.

They also used to have a lightbulb-tester strip in the lighting area. It had edison and candelabra sockets without threads, so you could just push the new bulb into the socket to see if it was good. I always liked those for some reason.
:whistle:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like you found some.
i was going to have you post the model and positions they came from and i would take some from one of the organ donors at the shop.i save stuff when i tear down a junker so i have a small drawer full of laptop screws.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
That's mighty kind of you, Snakebite; thanks. Turns out they're 2.5mm countersunk screws, some at 5mm length and some at 8mm. Now that I know where I can buy some at a reasonable price ($6.50/box of 100 vs a dozen screws for $20 from Dell!) I'll be in good shape.

I think I'm also going to buy one of those metal screw measuring thingies that look like a ruler with holes in it.