Pls Help with magAA qstn...

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hi - ho,

I just bought a few AA mags from greenled and some misc accessories from Wayne at the shoppe but I had thought it was relatively simple to assemble the bits - lense, reflector, sammie, o-rings etc. :shrug: I have no clue. :(

I can get everything in there - don't get me wrong, I'm not a TOTAL dummy, but I can't get the light to turn off or get the head twisty thing to turn it off either.

What am I doing wrong please?

ps: I have some krolls on the way but am not sure on their reliability, though they may provide a quick-fix.

These are for my gifts to my bridal party boys in 1 months time so I gotta get cracking if I need to order any more parts to complete the picture. :)

Thanks for any replies.

Tim.:sweat:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that the 17mm reflector you got with it? You have to trim off the "feet" on the bottom. Aurolite's thread on Minimag modding for dummy's has instructions. I believe if the feet are still at the bottom of the reflector, it won't turn off. I'm actually using the reflector that came with the Terralux Ministar. It's actually a modified version of the stock minimag reflector, which you can make by sanding the bottom of the stock reflector until the feet disappear and the hole widens just enough for the LED to fit through.

BTW, I had the same problem with the 17mm reflector not letting the light turn off. That's when I tried the Ministar reflector. I later read about cutting the feet, but I prefered the beam of the stock reflector (er, I mean the Terralux reflector), so I never did it.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Tim.

In my humble Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag mod Section 3F is 'installing sandwich assembly'. If the problem is indeed about the trim legs, please kindly refer to the picture InSA011 for how it will look when trimmed.

InSA017 has the details as how I would adjust the position of the reflector to make the lux 'centered'.

Hope this will help. :)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Kroll klickie tailcap switch will turn the light off. It will also save you the hassle of having to refocus the light every time you turn it on.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Tim here - you guys are great! Thanks for the help.

I indeed logged in just now cos I remembered I neglected to mention the smaller reflector. Trashman, you must be a pysschick! :)

True, I have yet to trim the tabs - I just failed to recognise that as a contributing factor. :( You mean I have to cut up my nice new stuff??? Aww man! hehehe

Auroralite; there ain't nothin humble about that cook book baby!! :D Rocking stuff.

(I'm gonna go exercise then get rid of some tabs, thanks!!)

Tim.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Ledninja: Do you reckon it detracts from the overall appearance of the light in general? I realise that's a really subjective question but its out there now. :)

I have 4 purple mmags and they look great. I have split rings for them as well so the krolls might be more useless... :(

I might give them as an added spare part - optional extra ;)

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Auroralite: I wish I had read your mod guide before ordering the wrong lenses and reflectors :( I got some that will fit a fire fli. Bummer. Look for em on BST in a short while I think.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Oddball,

No sweat, my friend, it is just a path less taken. :)

As for the kroll, just my 2 cents:

It is a love-hate thing for me, I love the idea and it is a double-safety(besides the twist on-off) for keeping it from any possible accidental turn on. But it does appear to lose its ok appearance rather quickly and it is so inconsistent!

Anyway, I did discover that by stretching out the springs inside the kroll, it does seem to be working better. But I do look forward to the new Terralux 'kroll' switch coming out sometime soon, hopefully it will be a nice remedy to our need for kroll. :popcorn:

Last edited:

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Cool, I'll probably get one of those too, just to see.

I have modded those lights now, all is well apart from the lenses which have been ordered already.

Thanks very much for your help you guys :D :twothumbs:

Tim.