Throw monster recommendations requested

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an itch for a "wow" light, and would appreciate any input to help in my selection. So far my collection has been geared towards small/bright lights: Q3, Peak Carribean, Arc LS, JIL, Fenix, KIT, TnC AA, etc, with the largest being a SF A2.

I'm now looking to purchase one throw monster and have been considering a Surefire M6, 9P, or a C3, all with the HOLA. There may be other lights out there I should also consider.

My use for it? Mostly to scratch this itch. I wouldn't use it daily, nor would my or anyone elses life depend on it. So I'm not so concerned about it eating batteries, but it must have a great beam and be quite tacticool.

Cost is somewhat of a concern, the M6 is the upper limit being 2-3 times more than the others. But is it 2-3 times a better/brighter/cooler light? Will 200 lumens quench this thirst or simply leave me lusting for 500?

Sizewise, the M6 is also about the largest I would consider. The 9P and C3 look pocketable, but I am not looking for an EDC. It would definitely be a plus if you could holster it, and I'm not sure if the M6 could be.

About a dozen flashlights ago, I thought I had purchased the flashlight to end all flashlight purchases. With that in mind, I guess I am searching for the wow light to end all wow light purchases - a tough task indeed.

Last edited:

Lemon328i

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix L1P. Great size, great throw, unbelieveable price for the quality. Of course once you get your first light, you'll only want more, but the L1P is a great way to start off.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TigerLight FBOP is only slightly longer than the M6, but with a smaller head. And it certainly does throw. It's one of my favorite lights.

nethiker

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF LED Zeppelin. :wave:

Seems to me the best WOW light is comming out just now and is just a bit bigger and heavier than the M6. Check out the USL threads. Thanks Codeman for compiling this great resource thread on our awesome little light.

I believe Bill still has some of these that he is trying to sell after he finishes the first build. PM him for details.

Greg

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Zeppelin said:
....looking to purchase one throw monster...M6 is also about the largest I would consider...would definitely be a plus if you could holster it...
One of the highest output, longest throwing inexpensive stock lights is the Streamlight TL-3. Relatively compact. They're available on clearance sale for $45:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tactical.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_throw.htm
http://store.yahoo.com/expresspolicesupply/sttlodgrxefl.html

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with JS,

I really like my Surefire M6, however, the Tigerlight FBOP is a great light for the money, rechargable, too!!

jeffb

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire M6 is in a class all it's own when it comes to beam quality, build quality, and "TACTICOOL". It just flat looks the part!!

I would agree with Jim on the Tigerlight FBOP, and I would even say that buck for buck, if you can come up with one of Jim's Tiger11, Tiger74, or Tiger85 modded versions that you might have a winner over the M6 in some ways.

You would have a rechargeable light that puts out close to or more than the M6, at about half the cost and it would be rechargeable to boot!

My M6 is probably my favorite light, but I have a rechargeable M6-R pack and that makes it a reasonable cost to run light.

My next favorite would be either the USL, (gotta love a light that puts out 4 times what the M6 puts out, even if it's for only half the time) or the Tiger11.

As for the M6, the light is smaller than it looks in pictures. I regularly carry it in a cargo pocket on my thigh without even noticing it is there, and people here report that they carry it in their back jeans pocket around campsites. There is a great sheath available for it also.

Bill

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to break all you LED lover's heart but I think the Peak or the Fenix would be the last thing he needs right now. You haven't seen a light throw until you see a good incandescent light turning on. Like the experts above said, the tigerlight is a great way to start, a Magcharger has the edge in throw at the expense of size and output.

Nick

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is pretty ignorant of those suggesting the Peak and Fenix (which he already has). And when he has already mentioned that he has considered a M6, then they must either lack serious reading skills or don't know what the M6 is :(
Sorry for the rant, but I get pissed when people suggests a light with no relation to what light the poster is after, just because it is their favourite light at the moment.

Sigbjoern

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stop *****-footing around guys. LZ, you need a Thor Cyclops 15 million CP. "Tactical"? Yes, if your tactic is to make your neighbors wet their pants. Throw monster? Heck yes. Blows away everything from Mag85s to M6s, and costs only $30 - $60. This is not to diss the other lights, because they are very cool too. But sometimes you just need lots and lots of light, and this does it.

Edited to add: its rechargable, and the size of a small microwave oven.

59.jpg

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read people, READ!!!
Anywho the incandecent suggestions sound good to me. I don't have much input on those though. Only thing I can say is if your curious what the longest throwing LED is, then it's probably a luxIII ran at 1amp in a mag light. It produces a very tight beam that doesn't diverge much at all. If you want more throw than that then you'll go incandecent most likely. (or carbon-arc HID if you got the $$$) :D

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
For WOW factor, it's pretty hard to beat a Mag85. 1235 bulb lumens - I don't know what the out the end lumens are, but my guess would be 800 or 900.

It's a lot cheaper than an M6 and is really easy to build. There a number of different ways to go - PR base (i.e. potted bulbs) or bi-pin, Pila 168A's or AA NiMH batteries, smooth or LOP or MOP reflector, borofloat or mineral glass lens.

Let the fun begin, you won't regret it.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want the 2D size, you can try to use a 5cell/6cell bulb in a 2D with 2 3AAtoD adapters and alkalines. Hard to believe but this setup throws as well as a stock Magcharger and is cheap/easy to make.
If you are willing to spend the bucks, then yeah M3t or M6. Also, the SRTH with a N2 on a 3 cell SF body will throw like heck for its size and weight.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately the 2D idea would see a sharp decline in brightness due to the natur of alkalines. Using 6 NIMH would give you a flatter out put and less cost dow nthe road.

That being said, I'm through with battery adapters. They are fragile(unless you use the more expensive but much better built FM units), and waste a lot of space. That's the beauty of the magcharger is that by using a cylindrical cells the space is well ultilized. I use nothing but battery backs now. if you want to make your own, I would wait until more Li-Ion D cells to come out since two of them can drive almost any sub-9 volt bulb with vigor.

Nick

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
agreed but led zepplin mentionned he wanted a sf M6 at most sized wise. A Magcharger would be pretty hard to fit in the same space.
FM units are much better but harder to get...

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for the input, I'll be looking into the TigerLight and the USL. To refocus this thread I'd like to mention that Lurveleven is correct in that I do already have a Peak Carribean which I love, and a Fenix on the way (can't wait). My best throw lights at the moment are the SF A2, and just got a G2 as well.
I remember the "wow" I felt when I got my first real light, the Q3. Prior to that, my best light was a AA mag. I want this new throw monster to wow me like the Q3 did.
I'm sure the Thor and Costco HID are awesome lights, especially for the money, but they are rather large, and do lack the tacticool factor of say the M6.
The Mag mods also seem impressive. I'm pretty sure I'll eventually make or get one, but I'm leaning towards the others at the moment.
Does the M6 blow away the 9P and C3 with HOLA's? I know the rated lumens are more than double, but taking beam shape into account, how are they in real world use? And how do the TigerLight and USL compare? I don't have any knowledge of these and will be searching the threads for info.

Latest posts