Can I run AA LIHTIUM in Fenix? I am really trying to get away from the 123 Lithium

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I have posted many questions about running AA LITHIUM in different lights and there is no definite answer on this.
Is it safe to run AA LITHIUM ONLY in the Fenix?
I am really trying to get away from the 123 Lithium.

Reply and experience with it appreciated.

Chris

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can I run AA LIHTIUM in Fenix? I am really trying to get away from the 123 Lithium

Ok, if you are talkign about like e2 lithium. then yes. If you are talking about recharable AA sized lithium ion 3.7v, then no.

The disposable lithium AA consumer ones are ok.

cy

Flashaholic
I used AA primary lithium and 14500 li-ion in my stainless L1+ with no harm to light so far. this is with a dead stock light

AA alk and NMH also work well.

please note I don't know if L1-P uses a different board.

cy

Flashaholic
just took these with Fluke 87

14500 bare li-ion cell in L1+ stainless

4.087V no load before readings
554 milliamp draw at cell
3.193 VF

L1+ is pretty happy running 14500

Last edited:

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your risk - the boost circuit in the L1P V2.5's only rated from 1.1-1.7v, IIRC, so it's a risk running it that hot. Still, it's your light and cheap enough that ruining one doesn't mean the end of the world or a major hit on the wallet.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can I run AA LIHTIUM in Fenix? I am really trying to get away from the 123 Lithium

I was refering to the standard LITHIUM L91 I believe it is. Not rechargeable.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
marinemaster said:
I was refering to the standard LITHIUM L91 I believe it is. Not rechargeable.

Those work pretty well, actually - you'll get better runtime with those than with the NiMH cells, and with an almost flat discharge curve.

cy

Flashaholic
before sticking 14500 in L1+ stainless.
was prepared to replace board and luxeon.

took a big Gulp... and stuck in li-ion cell.
very pleased with how well li-ion is working with L1+.
only complaint is it's now too bright :D

goldenlight

Enlightened

My L1P V2.5 instructions specificly state that the circuit is only rated from 0.9V to 1.5V, and stated that alkalines were optimal, or words to that effect.

Without stating in so many words, the clear implication seemed to be that the Energizer L-91, which has a sarting voltage over 1.7V (I've measured them at 1.72 to 1.75V with my cheap DMM) was being specificaly excluded.

I don't know why they would state alkalines are OK, because with the same cheap DMM, I've measured new ones at 1.62V. So assuming a starting voltage of 1.72V for a L-91, that's only 0.1V difference.

Of course, with an alkaline, the voltage will quickly drop to around 1.5V in the first - 5 to 10 minutes of operation (guessing here, unfortunately, but likely given the power draw).

Given the choice, I'd prefer to use the L-91 lithium, due to it's lighter weight, flatter discharge, and cold weather performance.

I could see where the Battery Station lithium AA's cold be a bad idea, as I've measured them at 1.9V when new.

Anyone else with a Fenix L1P get a different impression from the instructions?

Am I beoing overly cautious here?

I'd hate to fry this very, very nice new flashlight!

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the impression that they're erring on the side of caution. Once they admit that lithium can be used, there's the danger that people will use li-ion. Especially since they say "lithium" and not "lithium-ion", though they do at least specify that they're referring to the "3.6v" ones.

I have a lithium in the L1v2 in the car, and i'll likely replace the NiMH currently in my L1P with one since i won't be using it as often as i expected. I'm using Energizer, but that's because that's what i have. I plan on picking up BatteryStation once i run through my supply.

On a completely different note, i say we drop the v2.5 when we refer to the Fenix since that's the standard now and only specify the version when we're referring to v2. After all, there's a finite number of Vs and 2s out there.

justsomeguy

Newly Enlightened

Hi Archangel,

I think that it is a little bit premature to eliminate refering to the version, due to the fact that brand new V2.0 are still being offered by some dealers.

JS Burly has only got V2.0 posted on his site due to being out of stock on V2.5. It does get tiresome to have to refer to 3 versions (including stainless). To avoid misunderstanding, I think that we must take the time to type in all info.

At times in the past, I have had trouble being sure about some posts, due to too much inside jargon being used.

In re: lithium. I run the E2 from walmart in all my LED AAA and AA lights. So far, none have released smoke or had problems.

Thank you for your post.

Steve

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a bit of a tangent, but why are you looking to get away from 123A lithium cells? Rechargeables or alkalines can be cheaper, but the alternative that you are considering (the lithium AA cell) is more expensive due to being a patented Energizer product.

lexina

Enlightened

goldenlight said:
My L1P V2.5 instructions specificly state that the circuit is only rated from 0.9V to 1.5V, and stated that alkalines were optimal, or words to that effect.

Without stating in so many words, the clear implication seemed to be that the Energizer L-91, which has a sarting voltage over 1.7V (I've measured them at 1.72 to 1.75V with my cheap DMM) was being specificaly excluded.

I am using an Energizer L91 in my L1P v2.5 and it works great.

legtu

Enlightened

AFAIK, it's generally not a good a idea to use a power source/battery that has a higher voltage than the output voltage of the boosting circuit. What's there to boost if the voltage of the power source is higher than the output? In some cases, it'll go 'direct drive' with some voltage drop due to the circuit components. It could ruin the switching chip...

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ve got 3 fenix. -L1+ running on e2 lithium
-L1pV2.5 running on duracell
-L1pV2.5 running on e2 lithium
NO problem with running em on lithium except its brighter
The L1+ on lithium is brighter than a v2.5L1p on duracell

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to the battery data sheets, the e2 L91 AA lithium voltage drops from about 1.6v to about 1.5v under even a low 250 mW load.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf

This looks little different than the e2 X91 AA alkaline battery, which also starts out at about 1.6v:

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/x91.pdf

I've run three Fenix L1Ps on e2 AA lithium batteries without problem.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

asdalton said:
This is a bit of a tangent, but why are you looking to get away from 123A lithium cells? Rechargeables or alkalines can be cheaper, but the alternative that you are considering (the lithium AA cell) is more expensive due to being a patented Energizer product.

I am still to find (looks like Fenix may solve it) a totally safe flashlight that will run on easily available Lithium AA. Sams has them for $12 for 20. Maybe they are cheaper somewhere else. I want these to keep in the car for years so I dont have to worry. 123 are specialized and like anything specialized will likely not have it when u need it. What made me think was one night I was with my wife looking to buy a house. She had a Brinkmann Maxfire with Surefire batt in it. As it happens the battery cut off while it was completely dark going around the house. You know how it goes, it never fails. That what Surefires batt do. Sure enough I came home and put the Surefire batt in a Inova T2 LED and still had plenty of light. Since then I tend to go more LED and I wont be left in the dark totally. So to me a LED 1W that can handle AA Lithium is the perfect match. I know it will last forever in storage and combined with LED still have some available light. I thought for a moment that the Streamlight 4AA 1W LED will fill that place but I heard stories of the LED burn out from Lithium. If I had to I can always put AA in it while I had it with me, not so easily with 123. When is dark outside the virtual world is not with you.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened

Wow! A real world user!!! Well said. Theres a lot to be said of using the L91 for storage and also long runtime. I have the same usage and am using the same system. Theres applications where 123 have the edge but in the case of non-flashaholics, AA has to be the best.