E2e vs E2L. Is the E2e obsolete?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the E2e obsolete?

I have several E2's and E2e's. I really like them. They seem to be the smallest form factor with the most punch...with fresh batteries.

I also have several KL1 heads on E2e bodies. Old style and new. I originally didn't like the "no sidespill' of the new KL1 but at the right distance outdoors the head is great. I have been usually using the new KL1 with a beamshaper in the house. The result is fantastic.

The other day I turned on my E2e and the beam was really dim. Opps, time to change the batteries. I took the old batteries and put them in my E2e with the KL1 head and...WOW...the light was just as bright as with new batteries. This got me thinking more about the KL1 head. I then compared the beam of an E2e with fresh 123's against an E2e with the KL1 on fresh batteries. The beams brightness is similiar. I like the sidespill of the E2e much better than the square-ish KL1.

It seems that you can't really argue with the KL1's runtime and steady lumen output. It shines on long after the E2e has dimmed.

So this brings me back to the question, "Is the E2e obsolete?" I certainly hope not. If the development of a 3.7 volt incandescent bulb ever materializes I'd be in hog heaven. For now, I use the KL1 heads to suck the life out of 123's that are too used up in incandescents.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want a digital-age incandescent, get an A2. It's not the champ in pure lumens or runtime but has a beautiful and very tightly regulated. beam.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a shame they'll never take the A2 regulator and figure out how to put it in the E1e. :(

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not certain it's time to write off the E2Es yet, especially outside. There are a number of threads about the ability to see "better" with an incan outside. It seems particularly noticeable where there is some ambient light and/or lots of foliage.

I'll be keeping my incan versions for a while still. Of course they'll almost always be backed up by an LED.

-LT

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
If you want a digital-age incandescent, get an A2. It's not the champ in pure lumens or runtime but has a beautiful and very tightly regulated. beam.

Funny you bring this up. I just ordered an took delivery of an A2 through the "U2 group buy" thread. Initial impression is it's the best of both worlds and darn near the form factor of the E2e. I need to spend more time using it as it may be the perfect light.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic said:
I'm not certain it's time to write off the E2Es yet, especially outside. There are a number of threads about the ability to see "better" with an incan outside. It seems particularly noticeable where there is some ambient light and/or lots of foliage.

I'll be keeping my incan versions for a while still. Of course they'll almost always be backed up by an LED.

-LT

I love the E2e's beam outside. The spill and hotspot are perfect IMHO. I have read most all of those threads regarding color retention. Incan's can't be beat for depth perception and the ability to punch through smoke/fog/smog and ambient lighting. New role for my newly aquired A2.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2e definitely has a brighter, farther-throwing beam than the E2L, at least when the batteries are fresh. Once they're about halfway depleted, the strength of the E2L becomes more apparent. Of course, halfway is about 30 minutes of use on the E2e, and 75 minutes on the E2L.

jhereg

Enlightened
NotRegulated said:
Is the E2e obsolete?
So this brings me back to the question, "Is the E2e obsolete?" I certainly hope not. If the development of a 3.7 volt incandescent bulb ever materializes I'd be in hog heaven. For now, I use the KL1 heads to suck the life out of 123's that are too used up in incandescents.

I don't think so. If I only have one light on me, it's an E2E. I like the runtime on the LEDs, but the quality of light is much better on the E2E. It throws well, renders colors correctly when it's important & doesn't make everything look flat like an LED does.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I dont think so. There is a big difference with fresh batteries between the E2E and the KL1 head. The regulation is nice with the LED but the beam of the E2E is really spectacular. I think there are some real benefits of a really nice incandescent for outside.