New guy w/ a Surefire question

Outlaw

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've been lurking around here for awhile, trying to get a handle on what kind/type of flashlight to buy. I took some advise & bought my first "real" flashlight ah... I mean... torch, a SF G2.

Man, what a bright light! I feel silly once thinking Mag Lights were the best.
Anyway, like Hot Rods & Harleys, it didn't stay stock for long. It lasted about a week before I just had to upgrade to the P61 light assembly. If 65 Lumens are good, 120 has to be better right?

Now's here's the question(s):

What do y'all think about the P60 VS. the P61?
Is the P61 really worth the cost/loss in run time?

So far I haven't noticed it being all that much brighter. How do y'all feel on this?

Thanks

X^ }

WDR65

Enlightened
I guess its all relative to what you find useful and if runtime is more important than output. I generally used the P60 because I found runtime more useful than the extra flood provided by the P61. Since neither throws any farther than the other I can't see an advantage unless more total light is what you want.

Personally I've quit using the P61 for now in favor of the P91 in my C3, but its nice for flooding an area with light. Then again at the moment I don't even have light to use my P60's in........humm.........might have to correct that soon and buy another P61 to play with.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well congratulations on your acquisition! Seems you have both lamp assemblies and that's great! Both lamps are good and since owning the 6P for some years now, only one (1) lamp blew up on me—and that was 10 years ago.—Don't want to be reminded about HOLA for the M6 last winter. . .

For a while I did run mostly the HOLA (P61) because I did notice the significant increase in light output. But then again at the same time the big drop in runtime. . .Then I just decided to run my G2, 6P, M2 (original one that I lost) with the P60.

After going through SF123s like crazy, the wallet really starts taking a Major hit! But then again, that's why we buy both if not all if possible!

That's my simple take on your question.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Forgot about those B.O.G. drop-in LEDs. Are these brighter than the P60/P61 lamps? Not that I would want to deviate from Outlaw's thread here. . .

TorchMan

Enlightened
I recently acquired a G2 (olive drab) and a P61. I agree with the statements about the P61 not really throwing farther. It is brighter, and I think a tad whiter light than the P60. And a bigger flood. I don't use it much, and have other lights so runtime isn't a big issue.

I do love the Nitrolon though, and think this light is a real bargain! With the P60 it's still quite bright. Really boggles me that the P61 is around $25 bucks, which is a huge percentage of the entire G2.

I also handled an A2 Aviator, and fell in love... And put my money were my typing is. :grin2:

If you don't think it much brighter, than the trade off in runtime is probably not worth it to you. P61 could always be a spare for you, and give you options. Speaking of which, it is modular, as has been pointed out. If you look it up on the SureFire site, you get a good idea.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/878/sesent/00

Last edited:

rikvee

Enlightened
The other killer mod is two R123's and a P91, it works (with unprotected rechargeables), it's real bright, but not inherently safe (rechargeables in series and unprotected-not good). Could be a killer mod in more ways than one...
This also needs a glass lens, or even better, a recent 6P's pyrex Z44 bezel or a G2Z bezel.

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
rikvee said:
The other killer mod is two R123's and a P91, it works (with unprotected rechargeables), it's real bright, but not inherently safe (rechargeables in series and unprotected-not good). Could be a killer mod in more ways than one...
This also needs a glass lens, or even better, a recent 6P's pyrex Z44 bezel or a G2Z bezel.

a bit safer would be to run two protected R123s with a G90/P90. i have had good results from using 2 protected 750mAh R123s from Dae with 35mins of bright light.

Outlaw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies!

So I gather that the main diff. between the P60 & P61 is that the P61 provides....

1. More of a flood area = more light = higher total lumens

2. The side benefit of the above is a somewhat brighter light needed to accomplish #1?

Thanks

X^ }

rikvee

Enlightened
Outlaw said:
Thanks for the replies!

So I gather that the main diff. between the P60 & P61 is that the P61 provides....

1. More of a flood area = more light = higher total lumens

2. The side benefit of the above is a somewhat brighter light needed to accomplish #1?

Thanks

X^ }

you got it! Same reflector, that's why... with the more than halved runtime of the P61, it is a bit of a guilty pleasure, and if you really like the added brightness, go for the 2 x R123/ P90 combo.

btw it appears to me that a P61 is a tad brighter than a P90, it's just that the latter allows the use of rechargeables.

Latest posts