HAIII Finish, what would this do for me?

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is not HAIII Finish still prone to being nicked up? I mean if I were to drop a flashlight with the flashlight treated for HAIII onto asphalt, concrete would it not still get chipped?

Thanks,
Dave

jtice

Flashaholic
yep

Concrete, rocks etc are still gonna chip it.
Yes, less, than paint, or non HAIII, but wil still be able to scratch it,
my HAIII lights look like hell after a few cave trips.

cy

Flashaholic
HA is extremely hard. assuming you have a mil spec grade piece like Surefire and Arc, it would be in 67 rockwell hardness range.

thickness would be in 3-5 mil range including penatration into sub-surface.

below HA, aluminum would be original hardness. so if you drop a HA light on concrete. supporting structure will be dented/crushed.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my Fenix L1P with HA III for a couple weeks and have had it clipped in a pocket touching my Nuwai TM-311 2AA .5w light and it is showing some wear marks and one small nick on the edge of the bezel that shows that bare aluminum. The Nuwai is showing substantially more wear. The Fenix is my only HA III light and I was surprised to see the wear occur so easily.

I don't plan to sell or give the light away, so the looks aren't as important as operational durability and reliability.

LowWorm

Enlightened
Mr. LowWorm used my HA Fenix L1P 2.5 to put our oldest to bed and hit the metal bunk bed rail with the bezel...stripped off a good 5 mm of the HA from the bezel. I was kind of surprised, since my other HA lights seem to endure brushes like that with little or no damage.

It seems some companies have a higher standard of what HA is supposed to be, so YMMV depending on which brand you go with.

cy

Flashaholic
not all HA finishes are equal.

there are no non-destructive tests for HA.

if you have access to same part before and after anodizing. you can measure for increase in size.

easiest test for HA is take a quality knife aprox. 59 rockwell. pick a spot not noticeble if possible. try to scratch.

quality HA will bounce knife off

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like I remember someone (Size15's?) saying that the aluminum substrate makes a difference in HAIII durability. Something about SureFire using a specific alloy because of this. I would suspect that both the substrate material's strength and chemical properties would be important.

Scott

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
For example...today I received a B60GT from cy. I removed the clip from it as I don't like the old style. A short while later, I was in the basement and set the light on its side on a table. Well...it rolled off and WHACK...right on the concrete. Picked it up...no scuffs, no marks of any kind. :) That's from a ~3ft fall. That's good HAIII.

- Chris

JOEGREEN

Newly Enlightened
sonofjesse said:
Does peak provide good ha III?

Sonofjesse,

I've had my Peak Matterhorn riding in the same pocket as my Leatherman Squirt for the last month. The Matterhorn still looks brand new, without a scratch. The Leatherman on the other hand is not HA III and looks it. HTH.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAIII is sorta like plating a diamond coating onto a stick of butter, nothing is going to scratch it, but you drop it splat!

HAIII will resist scratching from other items in your pocket, if you drop flashlight alot HAIII will do nothing for ya.

You aren't thinking about buying a SureFire are ya? ;)