Prob with new U2 - fixed!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a new U2. The light works in momentary mode, but to get it to work in constant-on mode, I have to really torque down the tail. I mean really crank it beyond what I consider normal tight. The head can be loose and the light will function fine. Switching batteries doesn't help.

It also won't make any light on a freshly charged Pila 168S. Thats a deal breaker for me.

I'm going to just deal with it for a while and see how it shakes out, but there anything I can do to alleviate the prob other than send it to SF?

best regards

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: Prob with new U2

The U2 tails all go on real tight,,
tighter than other SFs, at least, you have to tighten them down alot further before they engage.

Should work off a pila though !!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

jtice: Good to know about the tight tail. As for the Pila, I'm wondering if the battery spring in the head isn't making contact with the flat top of the Pila. That spring on my light is very compressed, almost flattened, and doesn't seem to be sticking out of the little cave in which it resides.

best regards

jtice

Flashaholic

ARRRGGGG crap,,,
sorry, YES the spring is the problem !!!!

I cant beleve I forgot that,,, :ohgeez:
stretch it out a bit, it will work :)

kbcamera

Newly Enlightened

Yeah mines the same way, but with the clickie tail its never a problem because I just leave it down tight all the time. If i recall the U2 is double O-ring sealed so thats what makes it a tougher squeeze.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

No need to apologize - I stretched the spring and it now works on a Pila. :twothumbs

So with the tail torqued way down, and the spring stretched, I'd proclaim the light to be functional.

Got my money's worth here today. As usual.

best regards

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

powernoodle- to fix the tailcap you need to slightly bend up one (or more) of the three silver contact "ears" around the edge. This will allow the cap to make electrical contact with the tube without having to overtighten it. It's any easy thing to fix, but don't overdo it- the ears don't like to be bent back down again if you go too far...

Peter

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try taking the FRONT off and loading a 18650 Li-Ion cell in there. Its much bigger than the 168s (Like 168A size, unprotected). It should light up then. Your smaller cell may be loose in the light.

tristis

Newly Enlightened

Got my U2 and a A2 today and both are perfect. No problems with the U2 tailcap. Too bad they are for Christmas presents. I guess I will need to buy something soon for myself before the coupon runs out.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Prob with new U2 - Fixed.

Thx everyone. Still having a prob with the tail making contact, even when tightened down as far as possible. Cy I'll try to gently bend those tabs, if I can find something like a dental pic that will get down in there.

best regards

Last edited:

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened

Call Surefire and they will send you a new tail cap.
I too had a problem with the spring in the head, a
slight stretch fixed the problem. I use the Pila 168A,
however it needs to be inserted into head side of
the light.

Goog Luck with your new U2, I love mine. ....... :twothumbs

socom45

Newly Enlightened

I've seen this before some time ago...and if you call surefire, they will most likely just send you a new tail cap. They did with the other one I read about. i have the u2 but no problems except I sent it away for a custom holster...:-(

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

powernoodle said:
Just got a new U2. The light works in momentary mode, but to get it to work in constant-on mode, I have to really torque down the tail...
I have a similar problem. After a few min of usage (switch clicked on), my U2 #A07416 sometimes turns off all by itself. In that state I can press the already-on switch a little and it comes back on, but only while I hold it in (like momentary mode). Tried different batteries. Happens on various brightness levels. Tail cap is fully tightened.

socom45

Newly Enlightened

surefire cs are pretty good about that I've heard.. I personally have not had any problems with mine...

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine would often flicker or go out after a few minutes. In that state, tapping the tail sideways or shaking the light would momentarily make it come one. Could also gently hold down tail switch (momentary style) and it would come back on.

Checked tail cap spring, looked OK. Stretched it a little; no change. Tried different batteries, no change. Called Surefire, they were very responsive, said return the light and they'd fix it.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

LitFuse said:
you need to slightly bend up one (or more) of the three silver contact "ears" around the edge. This will allow the cap to make electrical contact

Hey, Peter - while sitting there watching Nascar, a whipped out the Benchmade Mini-grip and bent up one of those ears or whatever they are. Now the U2 works like its supposed to, without having to crank the tail down with superhuman Powernoodle strength. Thats an A+ fix. Thanks. :twothumbs

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

powernoodle said:
Hey, Peter - while sitting there watching Nascar, a whipped out the Benchmade Mini-grip and bent up one of those ears or whatever they are. Now the U2 works like its supposed to, without having to crank the tail down with superhuman Powernoodle strength. Thats an A+ fix. Thanks. :twothumbs

Glad that you were able to fix it PN, it's too bad that they are shipped that way though. I wish they would take the time to do a couple simple Q/C checks on these lights before they ship them out. Just having a human check the switch operation, look for dirt/dust under the lens, etc. would certainly go a long way toward more satisfied customers. It's my opinion that at $270 MSRP, each one of these lights should be hand checked for issues *before* it ships from SF.

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

joema said:
Mine would often flicker or go out after a few minutes. In that state, tapping the tail sideways or shaking the light would momentarily make it come one. Could also gently hold down tail switch (momentary style) and it would come back on.

Checked tail cap spring, looked OK. Stretched it a little; no change. Tried different batteries, no change. Called Surefire, they were very responsive, said return the light and they'd fix it.

joema- I would ask SF to send you a new tailcap first. There is no reason for you to have to return your whole light to them ( and wait for them to get to you ) just so they can screw on a new TC for you. They have done this (sent new TCs) for many others, and should do it for you as well. If they won't send you a new TC upfront, I can fix yours for you (for free) and have it back to you much faster than SF will likely be able to resolve the problem. The problem with your TC is a tolerance issue, and is not difficult to remedy.

Send me a PM if I can help...

Peter