Search for current "Holy Grail" of small EDC

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for opinions / insights on which EDC to purchase ??? Listed are the characteristics I would prefer/expect the unit to have:

Cost @ 150~300 USD
One (1) cell CR123 or R123 Lithium ( would prefer to use rechargable )
Small footprint .75 Dia. X 4.0 Length ( no larger than, although head dia. could be larger )
MAX output in mcd
MAX throw vs. flood…need max thow !!!
Runtime will be intermittent….about 10~15 min / week ( I would be willing to change out R123 every 10~15 min operation )…in other words…unit runtime is a low concern !!!
Finish @ aluminum,anodized aluminum or stainless steel
Bezel @ sapphire or mineral glass
I have no need for multiple output settings…just full on / off..
No real preference on switch….just good quality. Water proof to 6'

Just the smallest, maximum throw EDC currently available. I am currently considering two selections:

EDC Basic 60 LE vs. McLuxIII PD HA Nat
Which of these units best fills the above preferences….or…is there something else I should consider ?????

Thank you in advance for you responses !!!!!!!!!!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS EDC is a great light, but it's definitely not a super thrower. Beam pattern is a good compromise of flood/throw that well fits its most common use.

Restricting it to a single CR123A really limits the throw aspect. Virtually all 1x CR123A lights are designed for near/mid range use, hence don't have a throw-oriented beam and reflector design.

Given your very limited runtime requirements, an Orb Raw might fit. Tiny size, good output. Not sure about throw vs flood. But it's CR2-based not CR123A-based.

You almost need a 1x CR123A light with a custom reflector for a narrow beam angle and greater throw.

DBrier

Enlightened
The diameter requirement is going to be tough if you want max throw.
Throw and big reflectors go hand in hand.

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
Thanx !!! I will compromise on head diameter....say up to 1.25" would greatly prefer to keep the length to 4.0" max !!! I understand that these preferences will limit throw !!! Given the parameters...looking for " Best in Show" !!! Anyone have both units ??? throw comparison between the two ???
mcd output of PD ???? anyone know ????.....Thanx !!!!

cy

Flashaholic
neither HDS or Mclux PD is real small as compared to other 123 lights available.

when you refer to Holy Grail, that usually denotes a limited hand made light. aka Li14430 or any Larry light. but those are usually not available.

since you only want R123 lights, that knocks out most of the smaller lights.

since you don't care about different levels. A modded Arc LSH-P with Ubin, bumped current, so17 reflector and twisty tailpack would be the smallest package available with throw. R123 and CR123 can be used.

Peformance would be aprox. same as HDS 85, since both are packing Ubins. but not as much throw due to smaller refector and single level. note how much smaller LSH-P is.

lshp hds.JPG

Last edited:

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
I guess this falls into the classification..." Carefull what you ask for " !!!! With sincere respect !!! I am but a true novice...I have not " modded" ...not yet !!!! Maybe this is the best way to achieve the desired results ???? This ( modding )generates yet another order of magnitude of choices !!! The mind " wobbles" !!!! I have NO doubt towards the accuracy of your advice...just not the way to go about putting all the pieces together ???? I will explore the" Sandwich Shoppe " !!!!! Thanx !! P.T.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

This will get some flames, BUT, for the package size and the requirement, a U-Binned LionCub is an option.

I EDC several lights, but for this use, (and admitting that the HDS lights are not part of my arsenal, nor will they be), the only two lights I would consider are the McLuxPD and the LionCub.

The LionCub uses rechargeable 123's, runs warm on max output, but throws nicely for the headsize restrictions you mention.

The McLux PD is not designed as a Max Output light, but really does throw very well.

They are very close to the same size. Both feature two levels, (more in the case of the LionCub) and great workmanship.

McGizmo's lights are the epitome of sensible regulation and exquisite worksmanship. They are tools in the best sense of the word! The McLux is my EDC LED.

The LionCub is not regulated per say but has many levels of output and runs for an incredible amount of time on a rechargeable cell.

Good Luck in your search!!

Bill

cy

Flashaholic
o0ps forgot about my ti cub meeting your requirements.
both have Ubin so performance is almost same. ti cub has more throw.

once again Arc LSH-P wins on size. but ti cub runs next to forever on low settings. ti cub came with me to Philmont for a two week backpacking trip.

hard to believe ancient LSH-P still among best performer for size.

ti cub lshp.JPG

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re Peak Caribbean, I have one and they throw well for such a small light, but with 2 hr runtime will be out thrown by shorter runtime, higher output 1x CR123A lights such has HDS U85.

The Peak Mediterranean has a larger head and throws somewhat better.

Can you put a turbo head on a Surefire E1L? If so, that might be the best throwing stock 1x CR123A light.

Personally I'd suggest:

Peak Mediterranean for 1-cell light around $100

At higher price, the HDS U85 for best overall 1-cell light. Throws OK, not spectacular, but due to high output will out throw some 2-cell lights.

If you relax your criteria to 2x CR123A lights you have many more options. The Pelican 3W M6 and SL PP Lux 4AA are good throwers (for LED).

If you accept incandescent, not LED, you get even more throw.

Geologist

Enlightened
I agree about the LionCub - it is also upgradable if you want to drop a U-bin or perhaps even a K2 in the future!

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS U60GT throws pretty well, I think.
I have a road that is 50 yards from my front porch, and I can easily illuminate the other side of the road with enough light to identify anything over there in the bushes on the far side. That's a 60 yard throw, out of a 3" long light with one battery.
Not sure what everybody else thinks is a good throw, but that's pretty good in my book!
I really can't think of any light that I'd rather have for a wide range of uses, that I can carry in my pocket.

PS - I don't have any streetlights near my house, so it gets only whatever moonlight is available at any given time. If there were other light sources around, it may affect the performance somewhat. However, my area gets alot of fog, and the light still does very well in foggy conditions, despite the very white beam.

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about an L1 or L2, the L2 might be too long. I EDC a T1 myself, because I wanted a light with throw.

Blades

cmendoza

Enlightened
I have a MiniMiniMag with a TXIJ MiniPro III pill and a 20mm reflector. On a 14500 Li rechargable it outthrows my T1 with rechargable 123, MiniMag with TWOJ NexGen 611 sandwhich and 17mm reflector and my Mag 2C with LuxI HD Diamond drop-in.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonThrower said:
MAX throw vs. flood…need max thow !!!
Just the smallest, maximum throw EDC currently available. I am currently considering two selections:

EDC Basic 60 LE vs. McLuxIII PD HA Nat
Which of these units best fills the above preferences….or…is there something else I should consider ?????

Laser pointer.

Seriously tho, can you be more specific about your intended use?

I have an HDS U85 and while it would probably be considered a medium throw light, I think it has a pretty impressive throw for a small light. Basically the same as a SF E2e. I can illuminate the tops of the big trees in my yard and across the way.

I suspect for the most part, you are going to have difficulty getting super throw from most 1x123A cell LED lights.

As others have suggested, if this is really importaint to you, you probably need a semi-custom or custom light.

I'm not real up with Don's products, but maybe something like an Aleph3 head on a 1x123 body? Aleph1 head would probably be OK too and isn't quite as big.

-john

So, I'd consider the HDS Ultimate 85, Don's Aleph light and.. ahem.. A SF E1e. It isn't LED, but it's darn small and has a decent throw for it's size.

Also, don't some of the Inova lights have very narrow beams? I don't really follow them since I'm not into narrow beams....

Oh, also the U85 comes with a "glass" lens, but you can get his lens kit which gives you the tool to remove the lens. It supplies a polycarbonate lens with the kit, but you could then go purchase a saphire lens from a watch supplier (I've done this for other lights) and drop it in if you would like. Henry has supplied the lens diameter in another thread.

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Aleph 1 (single cell) has a lot of throw compared to most single cell lights. $160.
-David

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all !!!!! I have sooo many options to now study !!! But...that is a major segment of the enjoyment....the study, the understanding, and finally the purchase(s)...the road to the "Grail"....there in lies the true satisfaction !!!(although...there are likely many "Grails")....and...the " best today " will become "less than best" in somewhat short order !!!
Even so...true fine workmanship / quality has a value seperate from being the " best" technology !!! I am sure many would say... at its best...a form of art !!!
And ...yes max EDC throw would be coherent light...this we will see..... someday... an RGB laser pointer....RGB...all in direct diode output ( No diode pumped ) all passing thru a minature trichronic prism to deliver a blinding white beam.. that would be some " torch" !!!! Thanx again !!! P.T.