Replacement of leds in the Streamlight Baton light

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im trying to find out if anybody had modified a Streamlight batonlite it has 3 leds on a board. It used 3 (1.5 volt n type) batteries. Im wondering if a Luxen 3watt can be put in or if a 1 watt would only work based on the power supply. The leds come out when you unscrew the clear plastic? cover. Can't post any pics cause I don't have a digital camera. Ant help would be apreciated.

Thanks

yekim

Enlightened
I was playing around some and found that 2 aaa's are the same length as 3 n's. There sure is precious little space in one to do much with it. Interested to see if there is anything that can be done. Iwould liek to keep the same brightness and ditch the n batteries at least myself.

jkuo13

Newly Enlightened
The lens cover is supposed to be lexan.

I've contemplated modding my streamlight baton, but there's the whole issue of having enough time... Anyhow, it seems to me that something like the terralux microstar could be easily modded to fit. I'm sure a luxeon could be modded to fit in the baton head, but there's not a lot of space for anything like a regulation circuit, reflector, etc.

Also, the lexan cover is actually what presses the led assembly so that the metal disc on which the leds are mounted contacts the main body of the flashlight. I discovered this after being really frustrated that I had to constantly shake my batonlite to get the leds to turn on. Tightening the lens cover corrected that. Any mod is going to have to be the same height as the original led assembly or alternatively contact the main baton cylinder in some other fashion.

Ok, I'll quit rambling now...

depusm12 said:
Im trying to find out if anybody had modified a Streamlight batonlite it has 3 leds on a board. It used 3 (1.5 volt n type) batteries. Im wondering if a Luxen 3watt can be put in or if a 1 watt would only work based on the power supply. The leds come out when you unscrew the clear plastic? cover. Can't post any pics cause I don't have a digital camera. Ant help would be apreciated.

Thanks

jkuo13

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I finally broke down and decided to try to mod my batonlite. I ordered 3 MJLEDs and made a drop in replacement for the 3 Nichia(?) LEDs in the stock batonlite. It was kind of kludgy, but I snipped a circular piece of scrap metal (a pci slot cover) and drilled a hole through the center of it. I soldered the negative LED leads to the metal disc, and ran the shrink-wrap insulated positive leads through the drilled hole. I soldered the positive leads together to make a contact for battery. A few small cut strips of electrical tape were put around the drilled hole to make sure nothing short circuits.

Yes, I know this was probably a lot of extra work when I could have just desoldered the original LEDs off the board and put the new MJLEDs in. I needed to make sure I had a backup in case I screwed up though. :ironic:

The new LEDs are much brighter than the originals, and as an added bonus, I can use standard AAA instead of N cells. The only downside is that only alkaline batteries give a brightness boost. NiMH cells will light the LEDs, but it's not nearly as bright since the voltages are lower.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I actually made a luxeon mod for this Batonlight a while ago, and had basically all the basic materials for writing another dummy guide for this one...if you don't mind to wait just a bit, hopefully I could get sometime soon to write about this. :)

jkuo13

Newly Enlightened
Auroralite,
I'd be interested in seeing your mod. I thought about trying to put a luxeon in the baton, but I wasn't sure that it would actually fit.

Don't take too long to write up your mod! :)

VWTim

Enlightened
Well I got bored tonight and modded my Batonlite. Had a few 33K Mcd's lying around, so I made a circular mount out of some drilled/tinned PCB from Radioshack I had lying around. Soldered them up and they're nice and bright now. Comparing to my RR 2xAAA, it's about as bright in the center, but MUCH more sidespill. Overall a brighter light, haven't checked throw distance tho.

I also checked to see that each LED is getting about 35 mA, to compare I checked my modded Solitaire and it's pulling 45 and has been fine for a couple sets of batteries. We'll see how long it lasts.