Death of an Attitude

mykall

Enlightened
Not sure what happened. This PT is only about 6 months
old and was never abused or ever used very much. I turned
it on today to use it and the 3 leds barely lit up. I you look
directly at the leds you can barely see an extremely faint blue
color. Looked like the batts might be dead, so I put in a fresh
set of 2012 dated 'Gizers and we have the same thing.

Interesting since I don't believe that this light is regulated. Since
LEDs should have quite a life and I'm just on the original set of
batts and for a DD light to do this means that either the module the leds are
attached to is (SOMEHOW?) shot or the leds just went. The
springs at the bottom seem attached just fine.

I'm sure glad I didin't have this light slated for more important
duty, and I'm not sure I want another PT.

MB

Craig720

Enlightened
I've killed three of them so far. Something about mashing the contacts inside. I had one replaced "free," but I had to pay shipping to send it back to Princeton Tec. I've bought my last Attitude.

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
I've purchased six of them and have never encountered a problem. Don't give up on PT just yet.

Yea, they're slacking (behind the curve at the moment) but was informed by one of their reps that there will be a number of new offerings in 2006. I'm sure a number of the current models will be phased out and most of their new lights will be regulated. (Probably will offer a new Attitude).

Their competitors are forging ahead so if they want to stay in the game, they better keep up with technology and provide a supply for the demand.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often have a bad attitude, but my lights work just fine (sorry, couldn't pass up a straight line like that!)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I had an opportunity to purchase a "few" (had planned on selling them at a gun show and haven't gotten around to it - therefore have been selling them here and there).

I've seen two do that (out of several hundred), both right out of the package. They were promptly replaced without any problems.

If you haven't attempted to do any mods to the module or fix it (i.e. you didn't try to fix it by soldering, cutting, gluing, painting, filing, burning, gluing, hacks etc - you know for PT to replace it it must be "material/component failure" and the lifetime warranty can't be voided by the user trying to fix it)...I'll replace it for you if you send yours to me.

I've got a headlamp module that fits the Solo/Quest/Tec 20 that needs replaced and I can include your module with mine.

PM me if you wish - won't cost you much to drop it in a film cannister/first class envelope and mail it to me. It's up to you as you could do the same thing with Princeton Tec.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
MB,

Not with Attitudes, but I had problems with ALL of the PT Impacts I bought, and one TEC-40, and the issue was with the contacts getting mashed down. Putting tin foil in the base would make them work again -- but I could not see having to add a wad of tin foil to a supposedly high tech light in order to make it work.

There are so many inexpensive lights that outclass the Attitude now that you may as well cut your losses and buy something else that runs on standard AAA or AAs. Some ideas: River Rock 2 AAA -- less than 10 bucks, and way brighter than the Attitude.
Sams Club Element -- $26 for a pack of two lights and six AAA batteries - no comparison.

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
I've had my PT Attitude since they were released - I've yet to have any problems w/ it.

The Attitude isn't as bright as other lights, but you get a long run time - it's easily bright enough for tasks around the camp (or home in the event of a power failure) (you can also swap in the incandescent module from the PT Rage if you want a really bright, small light). It's a good light for the money.

Sam

pec50

Enlightened
I have had good luck with the Attitudes -- had a couple for several years and gave them away to friends. And, I just purchased another as they are practical light-weight and extremely long-run backups. It may be an older design, but ultralight hikers use the Attitude along with a Rage incandescent head as an easy drop-in for some throw. So, don't give up on PT quite yet.

mykall

Enlightened
My concern was that the Attitude shares the same body as the rage
and impact and perhaps a few others. I did like this light for it's
low level output and long runtime and of course it's waterproofness.

Not sure if it's worth exercising the warranty or cutting losses and
replacing it with something better.

MB